Crystal Skull anniversary

Henry W Jones

I know many hate Crystal Skull, but today is its 5 years anniversary. Did you like it, love it or hate it? Has it grown on you? Do you like it less with time? Me personally, I expected it to be worse than it was so I liked it. The truck scene with the monkeys is the one thing I hate in the film, but otherwise I am happy they made it.

Montana Smith

Indiana Jones and The Joker: both scarred for life.

Some anniversaries are best left forgotten. :p

50.gif

HenryJunior

I'll admit it, I liked it when it first came out, but it has no lasting appeal for me like the other movies. Never have I thought to myself, "I want to sit down and watch KOTCS". The last time I watched it was at the AMC marathon since I felt like I wasn't a true Indy Fan if I didn't sit through the whole series.

The best thing to come of it for me was that it contributed to permanently making me a huge Indy Fan.

Toht's Arm

Sometimes it seems like I'm the only person at The Raven that's enjoyed it more on each subsequent viewing. Now, it's really only the last 20 minutes or so that really bother me, when everyone's Racing To Do Stuff That Doesn't Make Sense.

This is the Indy film I've rewatched the most since 2008, possibly because I don't know it as well as the others so there's extra stuff to spot each time I view it.

JurassicPrince

HenryJunior said:
I'll admit it, I liked it when it first came out, but it has no lasting appeal for me like the other movies. Never have I thought to myself, "I want to sit down and watch KOTCS".

Thank you for saying exactly what I think. Crystal is nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be, but it just doesn't have the rewatchability that the original 3 have. Man, I can think of nearly every week going by and thinking I want to watch Raiders tonight, or Crusade, or Temple ... or all three. I never get the urge to watch Crystal.

And just like you said, it was good when it came out but its lost its luster on me as well.

Paden

As I've mentioned elsewhere, my initial reaction to the film on first viewing was pretty negative. I was hoping for a movie that came close to the tone of Raiders and KOTCS didn't strike those notes at all, at least not to my perception.

That said, I keep telling myself that I need to give Crystal Skull another viewing, one in which I try to set aside as much of my own preconceptions about what an Indiana Jones movie "should" be as possible. Maybe if I look at it with fresh eyes, I'll come to appreciate it more.

KingdianaJones7

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull holds a lot of dear memories for me, I remember May 22nd well, going along to the cinema with my Fedora and as Indy put it on (whilst the whole cinema cheered seeing Indy back on the big screen) thats when I put mine on.

Indeed I've lost Friends(?) due to debates on Twitter or what have you when I've strongly defended Crystal Skull but thats something else.

For the 5th Anniversary I donned the Fedora, and munched on some popcorn whilst the BluRay played.

kongisking

KingdianaJones7 said:
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull holds a lot of dear memories for me, I remember May 22nd well, going along to the cinema with my Fedora and as Indy put it on (whilst the whole cinema cheered seeing Indy back on the big screen) thats when I put mine on.

Indeed I've lost Friends(?) due to debates on Twitter or what have you when I've strongly defended Crystal Skull but thats something else.

For the 5th Anniversary I donned the Fedora, and munched on some popcorn whilst the BluRay played.

Damn, that sucks that you lost friends over the film. Some people just don't respect differing opinions.

The film is still a very fun time-waster. Just a nice, clean adventure. Completely harmless. Which I why I still act baffled by those who insist it is somehow going out of its way to be an awful film and an insult to fans.

Mickiana

kongisking said:
The film is still a very fun time-waster. Just a nice, clean adventure. Completely harmless. Which I why I still act baffled by those who insist it is somehow going out of its way to be an awful film and an insult to fans.

You summed up some of its faults nicely there: "fun", "nice, clean", "completely harmless". I don't hate CS, but I am disappointed in the route they took. They made a movie for kids only. A potentially great movie gave way to economic opportunity.

DOOMSTOWNFRIDGE

The people who seem to call it never saw it at the cinema,the atomic explosion scene was awesome and very loud which sort of took your breath away seeing it at the cinema but if some internet nerd is watching it on a stream i can see why they didn't get the effect of it regardless of whether Indy would of survived a bomb blast in a fridge..it's a film...it's not real life...anyway of all the other indy's and most other films made this is my favourite,it's just fun,it doesn't take itself too seriously,anyone can enjoy it,you can go with your girlfriend,wife,mother,family it doesn't matter,everyone will be entertained,even kids lol such a diverse age difference in the showings i went to from ages 10 to 70 +,the film itself is a proven box office winner,if this was made in the same time frame as the others you would not here as much of the critics against it,but thats just the way it is,to knock the new..the characters are great,From Spalko to Mutt,they all differ,the only thing i didn't like was Brody trying to be replaced by Jim Broadbent,it wasn't he's fault the way he was cast,but it felt kinda poor,while someone who you thought would not fit in a Indiana jones movie (Ray Winstone) fitted in perfect and was excellent,great film i can watch anytime,and it's nice to see indy playing his age.

BiffMan

Paden said:
As I've mentioned elsewhere, my initial reaction to the film on first viewing was pretty negative. I was hoping for a movie that came close to the tone of Raiders and KOTCS didn't strike those notes at all, at least not to my perception.

That said, I keep telling myself that I need to give Crystal Skull another viewing, one in which I try to set aside as much of my own preconceptions about what an Indiana Jones movie "should" be as possible. Maybe if I look at it with fresh eyes, I'll come to appreciate it more.

Very similar to my initial reaction. Was soooo excited and then soooo let down by it. Thought Harrison's acting was wooden, live alien really bothered me, and generally annoyed by most of it.

Tried it twice more while it was in the theaters and had a much better reaction after getting over the initial shock and expectations. Tried to watch the movie on its own merits rather than what I'd wished it would be and have since found a good deal of nuance and fun in it. It's not on the same level for me as the original trilogy, partly because I grew up with them in the 80s, but it's perfectly fine and I'm glad we have it, flaws and all.

Having gone full circle from being massively disappointed to enjoying it quite a bit, I'd say definitely give it another try.

axelan

dang! I can't believe it's been that long!
I had to go to the movies by myself to see this movie (and unfortunately nothing has changed in that department).
I enjoyed it. I actually really liked the beginning scene. I think that was the best part for me. Not too thrilled about the actor who played the son but it wasn't awful either.

IndyBuff

Man, I feel old knowing it's been a decade already. I saw the film 5 times in theaters and I've watched it another dozen or so times at home. I still enjoy it, despite its flaws.