Tomb Raider: The Games

DiscoLad

Perhilion said:
and no archaeologist runs around in a leather jacket with a bullwhip fighting Nazis for treasure.

Of course not, because nazi's don't exist anymore...and many wear leather jackets, more or less...

Dust McAlan

-Jones- said:
Well, yes. It was made for the younger demographic in order to get their attention. Now, they are rounded and more natural, but they're a little too big ;]. OK, for some it's sexy, but for me it's a little over the top ;].
There's a fun little piece of trivia on Wikipedia I believe about how the series creator was putting the last touches on Lara's final CGI look, when he accidentally blew up her breasts to 150% of their normal size. He was about to correct himself when one Core staffer came in, thought it hilarious, called everyone else in, and they all voted to keep them huge.

In any case, comparing seven Tomb Raider games to two action-oriented Indy games is a little unfair, especially considering how frustrating Emperor's Tomb is. Still, Infernal Machine trumps a lot of action game in my consideration, and we should at least thank Core Design for coming up with the proper way to do an Indy game in 3D: Tomb Raider.

SPECTER

neither play Uncharted.Drake's Fortune on PS3 it is one of the best games i have ever played. but other than that Indy wins only because his are better all around and less of them, Tomb Raider series has a few great but also some of the worst games ever made in it.

Last edited:

Perhilion

there are maybe a total of two good Indy games. Uncharted, while fun, is basically built off of Tomb Raider Legend. Without Tomb Raider you wouldn't have IM. Whether you like it or not Tomb Raider has contributed much more to the genre in video games than Indy. Lara's sort of the Indy of video games, just as Indy is the....Indy of movies.

Trennas

Hi everybody!

Tomb Raider: Underworld will appear in stores this week and since it once again seems to be all about raiding tombs and discovering lost secrets I thought I'd take the oppertunity to open up a new thread about it :)

I was very fond of the Tomb Raider revival with Legend and Anniversary and I'm glad they can apparently still find the inspiration for more TR games, so I'm rather curious about this one. Anyone else share this feeling?

Finn

Staff member
Mod note

Moved to another section.

And what comes to the subject itself, will definitely be checking it out. Anniversary was a nice experience (not to mention cool trip down the memory lane).

HovitosKing

I plan on picking it up tomorrow after work. Been looking forward to this one for a while now. I'll let you know what I think once I get around to playing it (I've been busy lately trying to make my way through Dead Space, which is a real gem.)

Trennas

Woops, thanks for moving, Finn.. Thought it was in the right section, but apparently it wasn't :rolleyes:

Anyways, I think I'll pick it up tomorrow as well.. stores are open until nine so I've got time to swing by after work ^^ I'm really curious about the environments they used for this one; they look really amazing in the released material :) Also, I've been toying with the idea of doing something with Xibalba for years, and now we get to go there Lara style! Pretty neat :hat:

I'm also very curious about Dead Space! Lately, so many games are appearing on PS3 that it has become hard to pick, which is still better than no choice at all; a feeling I greatly had when we still had the Wii.. There were just no fun games for it, except for games that had already come out on all the other platforms and the usual Nintendo games (which are quickly getting old for my taste..) As of now, I'm still in the middle of The Force Unleased, but I can finish that easily this weekend to make space for TR:U :)

Finn

Staff member
Trennas said:
Woops, thanks for moving, Finn.. Thought it was in the right section, but apparently it wasn't :rolleyes:
Unless Indy's suddenly grown a giant set of hooters and taken a taste of tight outfits, no it wasn't. :p

But never mind, the game still looks interesting.

Paden

I'm a bit behind on the curve on this one. After playing the original Tomb Raider back in the nineties, I picked up the sequel, which never retained my interest, and basically gave up on the series. A couple of months back, a friend of mine repeatedly recommended Tomb Raider: Legend, so I finally snagged a copy and have had a blast with it. Once I'm done, I want to give Anniversary a whirl, especially to see how the original story has been "reinterpreted", and then I'll move on to Underworld, which looks pretty cool. The folks at Crystal Dynamics have done an admirable job reviving a franchise that a fair portion of gamers seem to have written off.

Trennas

Agreed, it was a very hard and admirable thing they did, but I'm glad they did it anyway. Legend was a lot of fun, Zip and Alistair were a great addition and just kept cracking me up over and over again. Too bad they weren't too be found in Anniversary, but the game still managed to hold its own. I was very glad to see that they made changes and additions to the story though, because in the original Tomb Raider that was quite a mess :p

Trennas

Oh, you definitly should! Of course its a personal experience, but despite its shortness (you can race through the game in under 8 hours i think?) I found Legend to be more fun than Anniversary. I think it was because mostly because of the restart of the series and because Lara's helping hands were a wonderful addition to the formula :)

HovitosKing

Uh okay, just got back from Best Buy and it wasn't there. I also stopped in on Tuesday because I think at one point that was a release date, but no go. So the guy said he hadn't seen Underworld for PS3 yet, only 360. Guess I'll have to wait until the weekend or next week...

Trennas

That's kind of odd because the US release date was set on November 18, which means that it should have been in stores at Tuesday, as you said.. That they still don't have it is a mystery to me, altough sometimes it happens that games appear earlier or later in stores than they should.. For instance, FarCry 2 was released here a day before its release date.. Íf I have time, I'll go and check for TR:U tonight, see if it is out here :)

anniversary help

I thought this would be the perfect time to ask anyone if they know how to get past the first encounter with the t-rex on "anniversary", I cant figure it out and so I have stopped playing, i just dont get it. some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hedwig

ninepinejones said:
I thought this would be the perfect time to ask anyone if they know how to get past the first encounter with the t-rex on "anniversary", I cant figure it out and so I have stopped playing, i just dont get it. some advice would be greatly appreciated.
Have you noticed the spiky things around the area? You should do the "Adrenaline Dodge" and make the T-Rex to hit the spiky things. There's a video of it on Youtube I think..
Performing the Adrenaline Dodge:
1) Shoot the enemy as long as the rage meter is filled.
2) Keep your weapons out and locked to the enemy, wait until the enemy dashes towards you and the screen blurs, and press "Crouch" button with the Direction you want to dodge.
3) A grey reticule should appear and when it turns red, press "Shoot".
You can find the instructions in the instructions booklet too.
I hope this helps...

Dr. Wolfwood

The only problem I have with Lara Croft games is the millisecond timing clickety-click fest that you have to engage in at some points. All the puzzles and adventuring are fun to do, but I just hate those super-precision bits. One can hope that the Underground has less of that stuff in it and more of adventuring.

thanks Hedwig, I thought thats what was supposed to be done but I could never time the adrenaline dodge correctly. I will try again today,thanks.