Tales of the Gold Monkey

Stoo

Goonie said:
Tales of the Gold Monkey, the complete series is being planned for DVD:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Tales-Gold-Monkey-DVDs-Planned/12971
WOO-HOOOOOOOOO! F-I-N-A-L-L-Y!!!!!!!::D (y) Colour me STOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tales of the Gold Monkey DVD?
Tales of the Gold Monkey
"Gold Monkey" Co-Star Passes Away at 60
Goonie said:
(I know one person on this board is going to like this news)
Who would that be, Goonie?:confused: I would love to talk to this person!:D
Le Saboteur said:
Now can some entrepreneuring soul put Bring 'Em Back Alive to DVD?
That would be awesome, too! Bruce Boxleitner as the legendary Frank Buck! (...but any "Gold Monkey" fan would've never watched that show since it aired during the same time-slot.;))

Gear

I just got the first few episodes of Keeping Up Appearances on DVD.

Sounds like a red letter day for everyone.

InexorableTash

Huzzah! Now I can indoctrinate my spouse, who was a huge *Talespin* fan. And perhaps the offspring.

I just re-watched the series - over a week this summer whilst they were away without me - via ye olde unscrupulous means. But I'll happily pay for the real deal and quality.

Goonie

Stoo said:
Who would that be, Goonie?:confused: I would love to talk to this person!:D

Ok, so I guess there's more than one. Didn't Mitchell say he was a fan on the Indycast? Or was that Ed?

Stoo

Goonie said:
Ok, so I guess there's more than one. Didn't Mitchell say he was a fan on the Indycast? Or was that Ed?
Maybe both? Mitchell definitely is because he started the thread about Jeff MacKay passing away which I linked to above.

Apparently it was released in the U.K. 2 days ago! Having an all-region player, I must decide whether to get this version or wait almost a year for the North American release with the bonus features. Too bad that Jeff MacKay and Roddy McDowall are not around anymore to contribute to the extra material.:(

Can't wait to see Cutter's Goose fly across the TV screen again!:D

inky_skin

Ok, so not a movie, but still a great Indy-esque TV show. After waiting nearly 25 years for an official release of this series, I finally have the 6-disk DVD box set in hand (having had to rely on VHS bootlegs in the past) ! Does anyone have any memories of this show ?

Yeah, everytime it came on I wished they just put all that money towards an Indiana Jones TV show.

Tales of the Gold Monkey in FILMS?

Last edited:

Stoo

Inky, I'm extremely jealous of you right now. You lucky dog! The U.K. got it first but after waiting this long, I think I'm going to wait for next year to get the Region 1 release w/bonus material. Do remember when the show was originally called, "Tales of the Brass Monkey"?

Anyway the topic fits in "Films" category since the pilot episode was a tele-film.:p There are also these threads:

Tales of the Gold Monkey coming to DVD
Tales of the Gold Monkey DVD?
Tales of the Gold Monkey
"Gold Monkey" Co-Star Passes Away at 60

Tales of the Gold Monkey on DVD

ok this isn't exactly news as it's been announced since I think December or January, still I think that as a contemporary of our dear Dr. Jones adventures the short lived series starring Stephen Collins (Star Trek The Motion Picture, 7th Heaven) and Roddy McDowell (Planet of The Apes) deserves a shout-out!
Tales of the Gold Monkey was originally concieved in the 1970's but TV executives at the time didn't believe an adventure series set in the late 1930's would draw much ratings. With the Success of Raiders of the Lost Ark, however, Tales was given the green light.
Tales of the Gold Monkey centers around the adventures of freelance cargo pilot and former Flying Tiger Jake Cutter (Collins, they fudged the years making Cutter a former Tiger despite the fact that the American Volunteer Group didn't form officially til 1941) His One eyed dog Jack, His Mechanic Corky and Sarah Stickney White (an undercover Agent for the US Government)
Jake flies a Grumman G-21 Goose. (A beautiful Seaplane called Cutter's Goose in the series)
The series takes place largely on the fictional South Pacific Islands of Bora Gora (based loosely on the real world island Borbora), Matuka, and Tagataya

The DVD set hits stores June 8th and can be pre-ordered here.
http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Gold-Monkey-Stephen-Collins/dp/B00005JOJP/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_3
I highly recommend this series to any adventure fan.

Heavy-Sixer

Stoo said:
Thanks to ddschneider1972 for the reminder:

Did anyone pick up the Region 1 DVD set yet? It came out last week. I'm heading back to Canada in July and the 1st thing I'm going to do is go buy it. Stoked!(y)

I've been waiting to pick this up too. My plan was to get it from Deepdiscount.com because they are having their 25% off sale right now (which would make the set around $23), but for some reason DD says that it's not in stock and the 25% off doesn't apply to it. Amazon seems like the best bet at this point. I'm going to have to pull the trigger on this set.

Montana Smith

An Ebay seller in the UK has a large number of them for sale at £32.99 with free delivery. I've been watching them for weeks, but can't decide whether or not to go for it.

I can't remember much about the series when it originally aired. Did it have decent production values? Or was it pretty cheesy and low rent?

Heavy-Sixer

Montana Smith said:
An Ebay seller in the UK has a large number of them for sale at £32.99 with free delivery. I've been watching them for weeks, but can't decide whether or not to go for it.

I can't remember much about the series when it originally aired. Did it have decent production values? Or was it pretty cheesy and low rent?

I remember it being on TV but I can't really recall an episode or anything like that. I found this quote from a review article, which seems promising:

DVDTOWN.com said:
The actors may not have wowed anyone with their chops, but "Tales of the Gold Monkey" actually won an Emmy for Outstanding Art Direction for a Series (for the two-hour pilot), and it was nominated for Outstanding Costume Design, Outstanding Film Sound Editing, and Outstanding Film Sound Mixing--the latter no doubt the result of their being able to achieve soundstage-quality dialogue in exterior locations.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
There are loads of clips on YouTube. Check them out and judge for yourself.:)

Now all we need is a boxed-set of "Bring 'Em Back Alive" (which used to air during the exact same time-slot as "Gold Monkey").

Montana Smith

Heavy-Sixer said:
I remember it being on TV but I can't really recall an episode or anything like that.

That seems to be the response of a lot of people to this show. We remember it but not very clearly!

Heavy-Sixer said:
I found this quote from a review article, which seems promising:

This quote sounds promising:

"Though the effects, partial-location filming, cliff-hanging adventures, and oddball characters in "Tales of the Gold Monkey" are better-than-average for television, the show still looked like a paler version of the big-budget Steven Spielberg movie. And since it was expensive to produce, the series only lasted a single season."

Stoo said:
There are loads of clips on YouTube. Check them out and judge for yourself.

I'll have a look.

Stoo said:
Now all we need is a boxed-set of "Bring 'Em Back Alive" (which used to air during the exact same time-slot as "Gold Monkey").

That's another one I can't remember anything about.

adventure_al

i'd quite like to see this.

I hadn't heard of it before or so I thought but watching the youtube clips it seems familiar. I think I was very young when it aired.