Indiana Jones - a Historical Guide + a translation project (French -> English)

How are you interested by this project ?

• I am interested, and I can help to translate some parts

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I am interested, and I can help to check some translated parts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am interested, but I don't want / can't help

• I am not interested

• Total voters

jverne

Hi, I would tell you about my current project : the publication of a book that review the 1908-1920 Indy period with an historical analysis.
It's a French book, but it would be publish under license CC By-Sa, so anyone could translate it and do anything else with it.
I let you the link to the Indiegogo campaign : https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/indiana-jones-le-guide-historique/x/13799855 (yes I choose this plateform because of its name)
and a preview of the book :
featured-300x276.png

244 colored pages
hardbook cover

You can also visit the dedicated pageon my blog (still in French) : https://jeromeverne.fr/indianajones/

jverne

Thank you !

Each story is treated like this :
- Basic informations (Original title, type, length, etc.)
- short introduction
- summary of the story
- historical analysis, that means a sort of lesson about the facts mentionned or shown in the story and if necessary some "truth recovery" (if the story made some mistakes about history)
- sometimes, bibliography and filmography
- pictures, especially pictures of the real men and women that inspire the characters in the story.

Plaristes

Sounds very cool. I just wish I read French so I could actually read it. Will you only be doing Young Indy episodes, or will you also be covering the novels (including original French novels), comics, journal entries, games, etc. set during that time?

jverne

All that is set during this time : TV episodes, novels (including French novels, of course), comics, short stories (actually there's only one), the excerpt from Last Crusade.
But I don't talk about the game "Instruments of chaos" (because it's not historical at all), neither the Journal entries (because everything inside for this period is already in the other medias).

Plaristes

Actually, there are grail diary entries during this time period that aren't just rehashes of The Last Crusade. There are also some news clippings in The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones and The Greatest Adventures of Indiana Jones about historical incidents during this time period (like the Lusitania).

I've never played Instruments of Chaos, so I'm not very familiar with it. Why is it "not historical at all"? In any case, the NES game The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles includes a mission that I think is original to the game that takes place in a gas factory. Will you cover that mission?

As for short stories during this time period, there are more than just the story in the Young Indy magazine. They aren't officially licensed, but they've been professionally published and sold for years without ever receiving a "cease and desist" letter from LFL's lawyers:
"Professor Peaslee Plays Paris," in Tales of the Shadowmen 9: La Vie en Noir; set in 1910 and 1911, with one of the main characters being the Iron King from the Young Indy novel Gypsy's Revenge
"The Mark of the Red Leech," in Harry Dickson vs. the Spider; set during 1916 when Indy is a private (although the text mistakenly says 1914 instead of 1916)
"Justice and Power," in Night of the Nyctalope; set in July 1917, although this is hard to square with Remy's assignment as a spy during this time

There is also some role playing game material in this time period (Magic & Mysticism: The Dark Continent). Will you be covering it as well?

Finally, don't leave out the adaptations. Some of them (especially the "choose your own adventure" books) include a lot of original story material set before the episodes they adapt. I don't know if that's true of the original German adaptations (those originally written in German, rather than German translations of English adaptations), since I don't read German.

jverne

You learned me something. I have never heard of the short stories you mentionned.

I actually took the list made by DBIrish on another thread.

About the games, the choose your own adventure, the diaries and Journal entries, I didn't plan to include them because they're not stories (not really). Maybe I am wrong.

I've never played Instrument of Chaos, but the summary I've read seems not to lay on any historical basis.
I didn't known the NES game.

I didn't know what you say about the adaptations, but I think the result would be the same.
I don't speak german either. But the German novels take place later.

You can what it looks like here : https://jeromeverne.fr/indianajones/indiana-jones-le-guide-historique-12-15/

Plaristes

DIrishB's timeline is very good, but it doesn't quite have everything. I've tried to point out to you the material he excluded during the timeframe you're focusing on.

I wasn't referring to the German novels by Hohlbein, but rather the German adaptations of Young Indy episodes. Mike Thompson wrote several of these in German for a German publisher. I don't know if he includes any extra original scenes or not, since I don't read German.

Many of the English adaptations do contain original scenes, though. For example, Safari Sleuth contains an original scene set before the "British East Africa" portion of "Passion for Life". The "Choose Your Own Adventure" adaptations of Young Indy episodes also contain original scenes. Yes, you have to ignore the paths through the books that contradict the episodes, but many of those books begin before the episode's beginning and have original scenes before you start choosing your own path. Those extra original scenes shouldn't be ignored (it would be like ignoring the new "bridging scenes" filmed for the "tv-movie" versions of the Young Indy episodes).

jverne

Plaristes said:
(it would be like ignoring the new "bridging scenes" filmed for the "tv-movie" versions of the Young Indy episodes).
:eek: I ignored them :) Actually, in France, the series is still broadcast as in 1992, with Old Indy bookends. The DVDs doesn't exist in a French version. But it doesn't matter because I think the new montage was a mistake : problems of rythm and of temporal consistancy (Russian summer in January ?). So I haven't seen all the bridging segments, only some of them.
But I understand what you say. Now, I want to read that scenes (but I think these books doesn't exist in French).

Thank you for the examples.

jverne

The book has finally come out !

Some pictures :

Picture-94.jpg

Picture-95.jpg

Picture-96.jpg

Picture-100.jpg

Picture-101.jpg

Picture-102.jpg

Picture-103.jpg

Picture-104.jpg

Picture-105.jpg

Picture-106.jpg

Picture-107.jpg

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, and the books with Young Indy, give an important place to History. I wanted to know how true are all of these stories, thats why I made this book.

https://jeromeverne.fr/

That's pretty cool, and something I had thought about doing at one point. I had even gotten a few books to start the research but didn't get past that point. Glad someone did, even if it is in French.

Indyfan82

Awesome work! What a cool project! As a fan of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and history (and Indiana Jones in general, of course)- this would be very interesting to me to check out. Too bad I don't know French. If you are ever able to do an English translation, that would be great to know.
Congratulations on getting the book published!:) :cool: :whip:

jverne

Hello,
Sorry, I didn't see your latest messages.
Thank you !
An English translation could be a possibility, but not alone (because English is not my first language). Maybe I could start a crowdsourcing project (that means everyone could help to translate)...

jverne

A translation project for a book (French -> English)

I have already present my book Indiana Jones : An historical guide in another post, written in French (because I'm French), about the historical facts behind the Indiana Jones stories.
(Moderators can move this thread under the other one if they want to ; I created this one to create a poll.)

I was wondering if an English version could interest you. As I'm not an native English speaker, I can't do it alone. Nonetheless, I can build a crowdsourced translation project and give some help. If some native English speakers are interested, we could write an English version of this book. As the book is published under license CC By-Sa, the translation would be published under the same license.

Plaristes

How would a crowdsourced translation work? Wouldn't you need people who are bilingual (French and English)? In any case, I would love for there to be an English version of this book. :D

jverne

A crowdsourced translation works as on Wikipedia : everyone can contribute, everyone can correct mistakes, etc.
In the world of publishing, for a (professional) translation, a correct result can only be get if the translator's native language is the one he translates to.
But of course, everyone can help, especially bilingual people, you're right. But for the last checking, a native english speaker would be necessary.

These crowdsourced project could be like this : http://ij.jeromeverne.fr/the-curse-of-the-jackal/

Stoo could do it.

Just saying...

Stoo ? Do you read us ? :whip: :D