How do you pick a major in college if nothing interests you?

Nurhachi1991

I've been going to a CC for a few years now. Just taking general units and classes. But I honestly have no idea what I want to do nor do I have a desire or interest for any of the degrees out there. I do not care about business, psychology, medical, criminal justice or any of the other usual majors. The only thing that really interest's me is music and theater but let's be honest that's probably about as useful as a degree in philosophy.... I don't know what I want to do or where I'm going in life. Everyone tell's me you have to have a degree if you want to get out of the working class or a dead end job. I'm also not the best student mostly because I don't have the desire or interest. /:

How did you all fair with College?

Caidanbi

Honestly, I chose something that interested me. I majored in Chinese language. Worked as a freelance translator for 2 years, realized that I only like translating as a hobby, not a job. So I quit and decided to focus on my art. I'm much happier now ^-^ Moral of the story: go for what you love, realize that you might not make as much money (or even have a job at first), but that if you truly love it and are really persistent, it might just be worth it in the long run...

Pale Horse

Staff member
Buy It

Read it...then find a college advisor to help you find the Major path that will open the biggest path to the career you want.

6a0120a85dcdae970b0120a86d9ffa970b-pi

Joe Brody

roundshort said:
Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard are all great options!

What's up with that? Something's missing.

Is this thread serious or intended to provoke a discussion on Rick Santorum?

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
What's up with that? Something's missing.

Is this thread serious or intended to provoke a discussion on Rick Santorum?

Your right I forgot the National Guard. Can you even do that full time?

Montana Smith

Do they do courses in armed robbery and blackmail?

I always thought they would be good fall back options.

Failing that just do something that interests you, regardless of the job it might lead to in the end.

That's what I did. I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Nurhachi1991

Pale Horse said:
Read it...then find a college advisor to help you find the Major path that will open the biggest path to the career you want.

6a0120a85dcdae970b0120a86d9ffa970b-pi

Thank you I will have to get a copy of that.

Finn

Staff member
Nurhachi1991 said:
Everyone tell's me you have to have a degree if you want to get out of the working class or a dead end job.
I may sound a bit harsh again, but there's a little social darwinist in me that says there's something fundamentally wrong with this view.

I know it's part of the norms in our society to constantly aim for the higher ladder, but many people seem to forget in the process that we also need a working class. Because if no one's there to handle the plumbing, take out the trash and whatnot, even the wisest of professors and the smartest of leaders would drown in s*it.

I know, may be a bit hypocritical coming from someone who does have a degree and some of the perks that come with it, but I still can't help wondering why do people who perform the menial tasks carry the stigma of being at least minor failures in life.

In any case, no one should treat "getting out of the working class" as an intrinsic value. 'Hachi says for himself that he may not be the best possible student, which may be a hint that he's not exactly going in the right direction to begin with. Not possessing the so-called "gift of greatness" does not mean one couldn't be an important cog in a functional society.

Goodeknight

Nurhachi1991 said:
I honestly have no idea what I want to do nor do I have a desire or interest for any of the degrees out there. I do not care about business, psychology, medical, criminal justice or any of the other usual majors. The only thing that really interest's me is music and theater but let's be honest that's probably about as useful as a degree in philosophy.... I don't know what I want to do or where I'm going in life. Everyone tell's me you have to have a degree if you want to get out of the working class or a dead end job. I'm also not the best student mostly because I don't have the desire or interest. /:

Looks like you've gotten most of your general coursework out of the way. I'd say the thing to do now is narrow it down by deciding on arts or sciences. Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science. With a BA in English, or communication, art, photography, film, psychology, or whatever, the door will be open to a career in the arts. The specific department won't really matter. Sciences are more specific. Chemistry, biology, metallurgy, engineering, etc. Those are areas where generally the degree really needs to match the career. I'm guessing the arts would be the better bet for you. You may be surprised to find that one class changes your life by really grabbing your interest. I hope so.

Finn said:
I know it's part of the norms in our society to constantly aim for the higher ladder, but many people seem to forget in the process that we also need a working class. Because if no one's there to handle the plumbing, take out the trash and whatnot, even the wisest of professors and the smartest of leaders would drown in s*it.

Judging by how Nurhachi presented the dilemma (having no interest in anything whatsoever), I'm guessing he wouldn't like being working class. After all, that's real work. Seems like he's looking for a desk job where he doesn't have to do anything but surf the net all day, post in The Raven, and collect a pay check for writing a few emails.

Well, I have to get back to writing a few emails (but I really do work for my paycheck).

Nurhachi1991

I don't know if any of you guys have ever worked as stewards but yeah no way I want to do that for much longer. I think art's is the way to go. I understand the value of an education and what it can do for you but at the same time it can be a waste of time and money. A fellow co worker has a BA in Psychology and he is washing dishes same as me.

teampunk

Finn said:
I may sound a bit harsh again, but there's a little social darwinist in me that says there's something fundamentally wrong with this view.

I know, may be a bit hypocritical coming from someone who does have a degree and some of the perks that come with it, but I still can't help wondering why do people who perform the menial tasks carry the stigma of being at least minor failures in life.

In any case, no one should treat "getting out of the working class" as an intrinsic value. 'Hachi says for himself that he may not be the best possible student, which may be a hint that he's not exactly going in the right direction to begin with. Not possessing the so-called "gift of greatness" does not mean one couldn't be an important cog in a functional society.

you also forgot to mention that plumbers make more money then most college grads. not only that, but the way things are slapped together now days, and the fact that nobody knows how to do anything anymore, in a few years, plumbers will be able to charge whatever they want.

The_Raiders

Man, I say you gotta go with what you want. Not with what you think you should do because it'll make you more successful. When I graduate I'm moving to a different town with a buddy of mine to work on our band stuff. It sounds crazy to a lot of people (especially my teachers), but that's what I want to do. Of course I don't mind doing some grunt work in the mean while and living off noodles and 99 cent burritos. That's all I need.
And I'm not going to do anything else because I don't want to. That's what you need to do, man. Don't let standards drag you into doing stuff you don't want to do in your life. Otherwise, is it even your life anymore?

roundshort

DiscoLad said:

You know as well as I do anyoNe who whines like this is not Marines material. I could here him whine that he wasn't feeling the haircut.....

This reminds me of a website called. Whitewine.com

Nurhachi1991

roundshort said:
You know as well as I do anyoNe who whines like this is not Marines material. I could here him whine that he wasn't feeling the haircut.....

This reminds me of a website called. Whitewine.com

I'm too non conformist for the military

The_Raiders

You say music and theater interest you. I'm not sure if you mean music stuff you can do in college, or like a band, but man, if that stuff interests you, you need to pursue that instead of being miserable doing something you don't care about just for the dough.
I'm slinging trash until my band takes off. You also need the ability to not mind going without some though. But I think it's well worth it, going after what you want. Look at good'ole Harry, he had a pretty tough time becoming an actor, now he's one of the best there ever was. ;)

Nurhachi1991

roundshort said:
Another way of saying I am too much o

Thank you for proving my point... I don't buy into that Machismo mentality

I respect the hell out of the military and the men and woman who serve in the armed forces so we can continue to enjoy the freedom's that we do today. But that is not the path for me and if that makes me a wuss than I guess I am a wuss.