Ideas For New Indy Actor

kongisking

foreignerfred said:
struzan.jpg

Is the Second Coming of Awesome Hand Drawn Posters upon us?

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Indiana Jones 5: The Fountain of Youth

Starring the bouffant boys.

Shia LaBeouf as the son of Indy:

shia-labeouf.jpg

Justin Bieber as the son of Belloq:

Justin-Bieber-Hot.jpg

And for extra sparkle, preparing the way for another dozen sequels, Robert Pattinson as the rejuvenated Indiana Jones:

Robert-pattinson-2010-baftas-photos.jpg

Go on. You know you want to. :eek:

kongisking

Since we're all so obsessed with an actor that's basically a Harrison clone, why not a guy who's got experience with playing a 1940's-era Nazi-punching hero?

Minka-Kelly-Chris-Evans-break-up-again.jpg

Indy1Jones2

kongisking said:
Since we're all so obsessed with an actor that's basically a Harrison clone, why not a guy who's got experience with playing a 1940's-era Nazi-punching hero?

Minka-Kelly-Chris-Evans-break-up-again.jpg

Yeah Chris Evans would be cool.

Spurlock

Nope. You guys are wrong.

Michael-Fassbender-Could-Be-A-Rockstar.jpg

Michael-Fassbender.jpg

Michael Fassbender was the correct answer. He's got chops, he's got credibility, he isn't a carbon copy. Admit it.

kongisking

How does Chris Evans fit any of those descriptions? Like I said...guy has really good range that some don't realize.

That put aside...Fassbender is a real nice idea too. He definitely can bring back that tough menace Indy had on occasion in Raiders and Temple of Doom.

gioA

Anybody thought of this as a way of recasting?
indy discovers the fountain of youth and rejuvenates into a younger actor.
might be a way of getting some sort of continuity rather than a reboot.
after all it works for dr who!

Drones33

Glad to see this question asked.
I know it's hard, but personally I think if it's a choice between a new Indy film with a new actor, or no new Indy film at all, I say let's re-cast. (Sorry Harrison, We'll all miss ya, but..."Life goes on Indy.")
It's a tough call though. I think Matthew McConnaughy could do it. He's not a Ford type, but he does have a certain Tom Selleck-ness. Andif you haven't seen it already, check out 'Sahara'.
I also think Daniel Craig could pull it off. I'm not a fan of his Bond, I think he's a bit mis-cast, but he's a good actor, he does the action stuff well, and he looks suitably beat-up. Next time you watch 'Cowboys & Aliens' consider Craig and what his Indy would be like.;)

sheffsteve

I'm finding it very hard to consider the role being recast. All too often suggestions fall into the category of 'people who look a little bit like Harrison Ford' and in my opinion if you're going to recast then you have to recast for the character and not the previous actor, just like they have done with Bond.

Ford was almost 40 when Raiders came out so should we be looking for a young man like Pratt? I couldn't accept Daniel Craig in the role he's just far too pouty for my liking.

I suppose I am undecided and just cant think of anybody who I would like in the role. Should it be someone unknown? Ford was certainly very well known when cast.

Also, let us not forget, the Ford himself was actually a recast so the most important role in the films has been recast before. So there is a precedent :)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
sheffsteve said:
I'm finding it very hard to consider the role being recast. All too often suggestions fall into the category of 'people who look a little bit like Harrison Ford' and in my opinion if you're going to recast then you have to recast for the character and not the previous actor, just like they have done with Bond.

Agreed.

sheffsteve said:
Ford was almost 40 when Raiders came out so should we be looking for a young man like Pratt?

Pratt's 35. Ford was 39 when Raiders came out. So by the time a film happened, he'd be practically the same age.

gioA said:
Anybody thought of this as a way of recasting?
indy discovers the fountain of youth and rejuvenates into a younger actor.
might be a way of getting some sort of continuity rather than a reboot.
after all it works for dr who!

But then you lose the time period. The 1930s are the classical era for the character; the surrounding decades work just fine, but archetypally the character belongs in the 1930s. Any sort of rejuvenation story just introduces a James Bond-esque forward progression, albeit with new films taking place not in the present, but about 50 years prior to it. That's actually a very interesting idea for a film series, but it doesn't suit Indy.

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
But then you lose the time period. The 1930s are the classical era for the character; the surrounding decades work just fine, but archetypally the character belongs in the 1930s. Any sort of rejuvenation story just introduces a James Bond-esque forward progression, albeit with new films taking place not in the present, but about 50 years prior to it. That's actually a very interesting idea for a film series, but it doesn't suit Indy.

Yes.

The time period is central to the appeal of the character for me. After all, it's the period that was his raison d'être. And the reason why the later '50s KOTCS was a stretch - stretching the original impetus into the B movie sci-fi genre.

The further forward in time he comes the less idiosyncratic Indy becomes, as he blends into other characters from other properties more closely associated with later times.

When the reboot comes the actor who takes on that onerous task must be his own man; bring his own interpretation; and be cautious of parodying Harrison Ford - while also remaining faithful to the essential ingredients of the character himself.

Not an easy task. Hence the importance of finding the right actor, rather than the right Ford clone.

HenryJunior

More and more I'm digging Pratt, I think he has just the right sensibility while not being exactly like Ford (and that's OK). Plus he's in the Disney crowd of actors now so he's got a pretty good shot at it. Gotta go see Guardians but IF he got the recast I think it would be ok.