Archaeology as a major

Kumba

Does or has anyone here majored in archeaology in college? If so, what can you say about it? and also, yes, this is Kumba, and i've been gone for quite a long time.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Let see, Greg is at the U. of Chicago studying Arch. I'm sure he can give you some pointers. (Greg is Gregoire Defence, he stops by every so often.)

westford

Archaeology was the main subject of my degree, but I think the study of it is different here in the UK compared to the US... In the States, archaeology is more closely associated with anthropology, which I really don't know much about.
If you're going to study archaeology at an American institution, I reckon Louis Binford and Ian Hodder would be two names to look out for at the library. Bear in mind that there's a lot of theory involved, some of which is really dry and seems to have little or no relevance to fieldwork, but there are some excellent introductory books out there that will help you to make sense of it all.

Kumba

What kind of theories? I do live in the states, and i hear that most archaeologists that don't have a doctorate in it become a cultural resource management person.

Gregoire Defence

Yeah, you right Kumba. You really need a Ph. D. if you want to go anywhere with a career in Archaeology. You will need a Ph. D. if you want to be a professor. But you can always work for a Civil Enginering corparation. It is a law that the need to send in an archaeologist before they can do any building project.
It sucks, but it is better than nothing.

thefumegator

Well, well, Gregoire... so that's what you're doing nowadays. ;) Now we KNOW that you're a rabid Indyfan -- not only are you majoring in Archaeology, you're going to the University of Chicago! :D

Tell us, how is it? Is there anything particularly interesting?

Take care,
Wes

Gregoire Defence

Thanks Wes,

I really appreciate that.
Well, I am happy to tell you that they love Indiana Jones here as much as I do. They ae proud that their school was mentioned in Raiders of the Lost Ark, and they show they Indiana Jones trilogy here often. Most of the time on the big screen!

There is this place here that true fans of archaeology will adore. It is called the Oriental Insititute and it is a world renown museum and center of study for Near Eastern Archaeology. I call it my house, cuz I go there frequently, for class or for study.
Y'all should visit sometime.

thefumegator

Well, I am happy to tell you that they love Indiana Jones here as much as I do. They are proud that their school was mentioned in Raiders of the Lost Ark, and they show they Indiana Jones trilogy here often. Most of the time on the big screen!

That's cool! Definitely a plus having your school mentioned in a classic movie.

I call it my house, cuz I go there frequently, for class or for study.
Y'all should visit sometime.

That would be awesome. I've never been to Illinois, but that would be one place I would love to go if I ever got there.

Take care up there, man. I hear Chicago can be rough if you're not careful. "...Besides, you know what a cautious fellow I am."

Wes

Gregoire Defence

thefumegator said:

Take care up there, man. I hear Chicago can be rough if you're not careful. "...Besides, you know what a cautious fellow I am."

That is what the heck I talk about!!!!!!;)
Believe me that I am having the time of my life up here in Chicago.
Fortunatly for my adventurous soul, South Side Chicago can be a dangerous place at times. I got a lot lot stories to tell.
Gang fights...
Police chases...

yes yes yip!

Canyon

Hey Gregorie! Great to see you positing! :D How are things?

It's great to hear that they show the triolgy so regularly at the U of C. Would really love to meet up with you some day.

As for myself I am studying archaeology at night school and I am finding it very scientific based which is not quite what I expected. I really hope that I am going to get the chance to go on some digs this year.

Great to see u Greg!
Remember this smilie?
icon_indy.gif

Gregoire Defence

Hey Canyon!

Happy New Year! Is your archaeology class going a little better for you?
Hop on AOL instant messenger and we can talk.

-G
icon_indy.gif

Thanks for bringing back that smilie:D

Canyon

Hi Greg!

My archeology course is quite interesting but is quite a lot to take in.

As for the smilie, you're welcome. :D

Hey Kumba! Where have you been?

Happy New Year guys! ;)

Kate

well, I'm thinking of doing a double-major, where where i'm going doesn't offer archeo as a major.

Strider

I'm going for film myself but I think it would be great to major in Archeology, history always has been my best subject.

TheFedora

I am sorry to bump this 10 year old thread, but I was looking through previous threads where people were advised not to make duplicate threads even if someone had a thread this old.

I am currently doing a major in Interdisciplinary Archeology right now actually. My goal is to get in a archeology department in the museum across the street from where I currently attend College. Getting my degree in Archeology, and then my PHD in Anthropology after.

Z dweller

TheFedora said:
I am currently doing a major in Interdisciplinary Archeology right now actually. My goal is to get in a archeology department in the museum across the street from where I currently attend College. Getting my degree in Archeology, and then my PHD in Anthropology after.
Sounds like a plan: best of luck to you, TheFedora!

"It belongs in a museum" ;)

TheFedora

Z dweller said:
Sounds like a plan: best of luck to you, TheFedora!

"It belongs in a museum" ;)

Sorry for the late post, but as of two weeks ago I graduated college! Got the email a few days ago saying my Degree has officially been conferred...

So I now officially have a BA in Archaeology! :whip:

Pale Horse

Staff member
A very sincere congratulations. Own it, honor it, live it. You earned it.

(Unless you stole it like Indy did all his priceless works)

Dr. Gonzo

TheFedora said:
Sorry for the late post, but as of two weeks ago I graduated college! Got the email a few days ago saying my Degree has officially been conferred...

So I now officially have a BA in Archaeology! :whip:

I'm late to the graduation party but, in the words of Henry Jones Sr. "Well done..."