Ancient Church

San Holo

An ancient church dating back to the third century has been discovered inside one of Israel's maximum security prisons. Excavations inside Megiddo prison in northern Israel unearthed the remains of a structure which included a mosaic with inscriptions in Greek about Lord Jesus Christ- and murals of fish as well as an altar.Megiddo is Hebrew for Armageddon and overlooking the watchtowers, barbed wire and walls which encircle the prison lies the hill of Armageddon, the site which Christian teachings say will herald the final battle before the coming of the messiah. The middle east needs to be opened to archeologists to do further excavations. I wonder how many other major artifacts and sites are still lost-just waiting to be found.

IndyBuff

That's pretty interesting. It seems there are always new structures and artifacts turning up there. I would love to be able to go sometime and see some of these places for myself.:)

indyt

Everyday archaeology brings to life the Bible and proves its authenticity. I love it when new things are discovered. Ofcourse there will always be skeptics, but thats fine. These discoveries are not the basis for my faith, but they strengthen it somewhat.

TombReader

indyt said:
Everyday archaeology brings to life the Bible and proves its authenticity.

Well,not always.Depends on what you mean by 'authenticity' or even 'relevance'.If you are referring to the Bible as a reliable historical source,then the statement is sometimes false.If you mean the Bible as a viable cultural touchstone,then absolutely.

indifan101

I watched a program about this on the national geographic channel! They were talking about the brother of Jesus, James. They had showed scrolls and paintings inside a small chamber about 50 feet down under the Church of Christ in a cave in Jeruselum. But it had been deserted for centuries. Appearently priests or bishops or other church officials, would go in there to light candles under the portrait of Christ and read in Hebrew. The painting was dated thousands of years ago. About the same time as the biblical ages. Among the chamber were scrolls dating back to the biblical time. Nobody is sure if they were an addition to the bible or part of it! But the sights of this would be amazing!

roundshort

hmmm a church inside a prison. . . .
Not a bad idea, the priests wont have that far to gon once they are done with the alter boys!

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
roundshort said:
hmmm a church inside a prison. . . .
Not a bad idea, the priests wont have that far to gon once they are done with the alter boys!
Please show some decorum, roundshort.

roundshort

I do, I show plenty of it, but if it doesn't match your personal value system, well then, I guess it is your problem!

It is funny though, an ancient christen church, found in a prison . . .maybe they were on to something there!

Relax

roundshort

OK Paden, let it go if you want . . .
Hey, I am just adding my own special brand of humor, so you don't need to reply ya' know

Paden

My post was just an attempt at friendly advice, nothing more. It wasn't intended to come across as harsh or critical. Honest.

roundshort

I just don't know why people are so up tight, it's not like I am making anything up, and any attempt at humor is always open game, I wonder if this is why Dave Chappelle quit, too many Star Wars geeks cried when he made fun of the Jedi playing with the young jedi, even yoda, is nothing safe? I wonder if the jedi had Ancient churches around? hmmmm
Still the pictures of the old chruch were amazing. I love whenthey unearth old junk like this. How knows what is really out there?