Moonrise Kingdom

TheMutt92

Wes Anderson's new film has a plot, some potential actors, and is schedueled to shoot next year...

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/11/10/wes-anderson-casts-moon-rise-kingdom/

Wes Anderson?s next film, Moon Rise Kingdom (previously written without a space in ?moonrise?) is starting to line up a rather unusual and potentially very impressive cast. Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand and Tilda Swinton are the names we have right now. Along with the report that each is in talks for the project, we?ve finally got substantial details on what the film might be.

Deadline says that the script was written by Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola (who also co-wrote The Darjeeling Limited) and the film is scheduled to shoot in late spring, 2011. Funding is still coming together, but this is Wes Anderson. Between his recognizance and the preemptive cast, I wouldn?t expect many hangups on the financial side.

[The film] is set in the 60s. Two young adults fall in love and run away. Leaders in their New England town are sticking the idea that they?ve disappeared and go in search of them. Norton will play a scout leader who brings his charges on a search. Willis is in talks to play the town sheriff who?s also looking, and who is having an affair with the missing girl?s mother, the role McDormand is in talks to play. Murray, a regular in Anderson films, will play the girl?s father, who has his own issues.

Dr. Gonzo

Interesting... when I first heard the title I remembered a time not too long ago when Wes was considering doing a film in space. Moon Rise Kingdom kinda of sounds like that would have been an Anderson space movie title... but we know know this is not the case.

TheMutt92

I'm really that knowledgeable about Wes Anderson films, although I really should be. Fantastic Mr. Fox (the only film of his I have seen) was one my favorite films of last year, and my brother is a fan of The Life Aquatic... hopefully before this comes out I will at least have seen something else by him.

Dr. Gonzo

Yeah Bill Murray is an Anderson regular. In fact every Wes Anderson film has had either one of the Wilson brothers, Murray, Schwartzman or a combination.

Looking forward to it...
Except I wasn't too fond of the The Darjeeling Limited which was co scripted by Roman Coppola, as is the case here. Wes and Owen Wilson need to write together again as per those projects (I thought) were his best films.

Dr. Gonzo

Trailer...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7N8wkVA4_8s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Joe Brody

Looks like Wes has been watching some Tarantino.

Norton and Willis look solid.

Little Life Acquaticky too.

TheMutt92

This looks the most animated of all his live action work (which isn't surprising considering the success he's come off w/ Mr. Fox)

TheMutt92 said:
This looks the most animated of all his live action work (which isn't surprising considering the success he's come off w/ Mr. Fox)
Should put him at the helm of an Animated Indiana Jones project!

Dr. Gonzo

I thought Moonrise Kingdom to be a worthy entry. Dug the story about the kids. I think every guy has dreamed of running away with a girl at that young age, (hell even now). Murray and Willis on screen at the same time was just magic. One of Anderson's funnier entries. Not my favorite, but I liked it better than Darjeeling Limited.

One thing though to me that was apparent is... I don't know how to articulate this... Wes Anderson appears to try and mimic his own style. Wes Anderson trying to make a Wes Anderson film. I guess that's as close as I can get to putting my finger on it.

Joe Brody

Dr. Gonzo said:
One thing though to me that was apparent is... I don't know how to articulate this... Wes Anderson appears to try and mimic his own style. Wes Anderson trying to make a Wes Anderson film. I guess that's as close as I can get to putting my finger on it.

He has a set number of devices that he likes to deploy and as a result, I think he tries to refine and alternate what he's done in the past. He likes narrators for example, and I thought Bob Balaban in his green cap and too short pants in MoonRise was his best yet -- better even than the Alec Baldwin voiceover in Royal Tenenbaums.

I've got to watch it again but neither Murray or Willis did anything for me -- in fact they were more of a distraction. I'd rather have had Norton playing the father.

It was a beautiful, transporting and entertaining film (the ending was a bit sloppy) but I don't think Anderson met his stated goal of capturing the feeling of being in love for the first time at 12. There were too many externalities and neither kid really resonated with me, although the girls should go on to do things.

Dr. Gonzo

One thing I wanted to add there Joe was that I thought Ed Norton was great as the overly dedicated Scout Leader. Would love to see him in another Anderson entry.