Stonehenge Excavation

Paden

Archaeologists began a new excavation at Stonehenge on Monday. It has been over forty years since an archaeological dig was allowed at the site and this most recent project required approval of the British Cabinet. The goal of the excavation is to unearth material that will allow scientists to establish a firm date on precisely when the circle of stones was built. The date of the circle is, at this point, entirely a matter of (educated) speculation. Fixing a date may also give rise to clearer ideas regarding Stonehenge's original purpose.

Archaeologists Start Stonehenge Dig

Goonie

Stonehenge was in the news recently. I guess it got hit by vandals. They chipped off a piece of rock. I'll see if I can find the article.

Nurhachi1991

It states Stonehenge was a burial ground dating back to 3000 b.c.

But it does not answer the most important question.......... How was it built who or what built it?

fixer79

I saw a documentary on National Geographic with the archeologist Mike Parker Pearson a few days ago in which they stated exactly the same... Domain of the Dead...
The documentary also had some docufiction scenes, in which was illustrated how they erected the massive structure. well, how we currently think they erected them...

What I didn't know prior to seeing that documentary was that the huge stones actually hold together with a sort of stud-in-hole system... Pretty much like LEGO! :)

Interesting stuff, all that!

tupogirl

Well it's obvious who they were. After all, they have a place in Akator as well:p.

fixer, that is interesting to know as well, about the peg system. I was watching another documentary, maybe on the Taj Mahal, that was showing how they did that. I just marvel sometimes at what we humans have been capable of doing.

***hayleyrox***

has anyone here been to stonehenge? i went last year on the way back from cornwall, around midnight and it was so beautiful :D even when it's pitch black you can still see the huge rocks towering above you :)
when i went the moon was behind it and it was all mysterious looking :p
im suprized vandals did manage to break a peice off, the security there is pretty tight! theres around 2/3 in each corner of the field with torces and they're so quiet i didn't even know they were there.
o and i also heard about how one of the stones fell on a man at one point, which explains the gravestone by the side of the road :S my mum insisted it was a road marker, but i knew otherwise :p

xxxxxx

tupogirl

hayley, welcome! No, I have not been to Stonehenge, but would love to go. I'd love to go to the British Isles in general. Sounds quite lovely.

***hayleyrox***

thankyou for the warm welcome!
and yeah the british isles are lovely, i mean it's great to go to other countries but for me britain's where my heart is :D
if you do visit, make sure you come to the north east/scottish borders its all beautiful sceneary, and the furthur north you go mountains start springing up :p it kinda reminds me of the lord of the rings sceneary :)
it's quite weird most english people take stonehenge for granted, my mum thinks it's just a pile of old rocks :S i completely disagree with her :)
xxxxx

The Tingler

Yeah, your mum's wrong! I've only actually been to Stonehenge once, despite living very near it. My father kept on telling me of the days when you were actually allowed to walk around and touch the rocks - now it's just a tight path in a circle around them. Typical old person. ;)

***hayleyrox***

haha she sure is :D
it would be cool to go look at them closley, but nowadays leaning over the fence, i thought i was gonna get shot hahaha

it's nice to meet other people who apprieciate it :p

xxx

tupogirl

***hayleyrox*** said:
thankyou for the warm welcome!
and yeah the british isles are lovely, i mean it's great to go to other countries but for me britain's where my heart is :D
if you do visit, make sure you come to the north east/scottish borders its all beautiful sceneary, and the furthur north you go mountains start springing up :p it kinda reminds me of the lord of the rings sceneary :)
it's quite weird most english people take stonehenge for granted, my mum thinks it's just a pile of old rocks :S i completely disagree with her :)
xxxxx

I do want to see Scotland as well. My dad's paternal family came to early America from Ireland and his mom was born in Ireland. I definitely want to go up to Armagh (where both sides were from, kind of) and spend some time there. We still have family up there as well!

Definitely very Lord of the Rings! I always like to think that Tolkien and CS Lewis had an inner hobbit...

***hayleyrox***

wow nice :)
hahah i'm sure they did have an inner hobbit :p

the lake district is nice as well :D i think that's where my family are going these holidays lol

o and cornwall as well lol we went there last holiday :)
except i went when the great while shark was rumoured to be in the waters, so i wasn't chancing the surfboards haha

lol i could just advertise the whole of england ;) but that would take me all day lol

well if you do decide to visit i hope you have a great time :D

xxxxxxxxx

tupogirl

Haha, thanks! And um if you come to the States...um...well...it would depend on what you like to do the most!

I have a friend in Manchester, so I've been reading up on the city.

***hayleyrox***

lol i'd love to go the states actually :D
i love sightseeing and shopping (y)
manchester is kinda near us, it's a nice place :)
i guess it's sort of half way between the north and the south so that makes everything accessable :p
xxx

tupogirl

***hayleyrox*** said:
lol i'd love to go the states actually :D
i love sightseeing and shopping (y)
manchester is kinda near us, it's a nice place :)
i guess it's sort of half way between the north and the south so that makes everything accessable :p
xxx

Ok, so I will start my England tour in Manchester and go in circles around the country, lol. I would see Stonehenge and see if I could find anything about the Cromwells (my ancestors).

I live in Minnesota, near the biggest mall in America;). LOL!! And we have some cool sculpture here, like a giant cherry on a spoon.

***hayleyrox***

haha sounds fun :D
big shopping mall, giant cherry on a spoon? sounds like my kind of place :p
the cromwells, hmmm sounds familiar - i've got a book at home with all the old english names in so i'll have a look
xxx