Barnett or Marshall?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Does the name Marshall ever actually appear during <I>Raiders</I>? Barnett definitely appears on the Grail Diary package in <I>Crusade</I>.

Dr.Sartorius

According to the Indiana Jones Wiki:

In 1939, Brody retired as curator of the National Museum in order to become Dean of Students at Marshall College, a position he held until 1944. He died in 1952 at the age of seventy-four, and his loss deeply affected his colleague Indiana Jones. As a form of tribute, Jones pushed hard for the Marshall faculty and staff to approve the erection of a bronze statue bearing Brody's likeness.

Muttette

Maybe Lego Indy just got the name wrong, or maybe there was a guy called Barnett helping program it who just really, really wanted to see his name in lights! XD

Udvarnoky

It's called Barnett College in <i>the movie</i> Last Crusade as well.

Also, while Marshall is never mentioned by name aloud in Raiders, that is the name of the college, hence the production story about naming it after Frank Marshall.

Muttette

Udvarnoky said:
It's called Barnett College in <i>the movie</i> Last Crusade as well.

Also, while Marshall is never mentioned by name aloud in Raiders, that is the name of the college, hence the production story about naming it after Frank Marshall.

Ahh... yet another reason why I need a new set of Indy dvds with all the added extras!

Oh I just googled him and he's doing Jurassic Park IV... sweet... tis the season for four in a row! :D

Niteshade007

Um, it's pretty much been established that it's two different colleges. But arguing anything with you is futile. So yes, same colleges throughout. The world is perfect.

Uki

Now, someone refresh my memory...

Both colleges are on the East Coast, correct? For some reason I wanted to think that Barnett was in California, but Donovan's goons highjack him and take him to Manhattan in LC.

Sankara

According to Mr. Steven Spielberg it's the Marschall College in "Raiders". It is the same College in all movies...

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Maybe they are smaller colleges on the same campus. At Yale University where Skull was filmed, several of the oncampus "colleges" that make up Yale University were turned into Marshall College. Calhoun College at Yale was turned into te classroom, the courtyard where the Commie Rally was held is on the old grounds of Branford College, again Yale -- Now, these names appear on the buildings and the maps, but in general they all make up Yale University and that is how it is referred to off campus.

Now if the only didnt switch the mailing address between Fairfield, New York (Barnett) and Bedford, Connecticut (Marshall) this would have made sense that Barnett was an affiliate or old campus school that made up Marshall campus -- but it wouldn't be bewteen states.

We have UConn here but its main campus in in Storrs, CT but has satillite campuses some 70 miles away in Stamford, CT...

Who knows maybe Marcus worked at both as well and was Curator at the National Museum.

Sankara

We are talking about the movies, right? Why do people think that there are two colleges??? In Raiders and Crusade he was at the same College. The Marshall College!

IndyKate

At 16 minutes in Last Crusade, when the students are swarming outside Indy's office, look at their notebooks. Most of them have white stickers that say "Barnett" in big letters. I'd offer a screen capture, but I'm not sure how to take one on this computer.

16:01 - there's a great shot of one in the lower left corner of the screen, then as the camera moves back you can see it again in the center.

Now, Sankara, please don't reply back with "They're the same college!" unless you can offer some sort of evidence to support your claims.

Udvarnoky

Sankara said:
We are talking about the movies, right? Why do people think that there are two colleges??? In Raiders and Crusade he was at the same College. The Marshall College!

It's a fact that Indy works at Barnett College in New York in Last Crusade (as well as the video game Fate of Atlantis, which takes place right after), and in Marshall College in Connecticut in Raiders and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. The question is why, not if, the colleges are different.

My guess is that Spielberg and co. genuinely forgot about the whole Barnett thing and "retained" Marshall College as Indy's workplace as a well-meaning but ultimately confusing nod to the fans. Unless I'm making things up, the behind-the-scenes reason for making the college different in Last Crusade was because the exterior of the school location they shot at was different for logistical reasons. You'll notice that the establishing shot of Marshall College in Crystal Skull is literally lifted from Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's just a goof on the film makers part that Indy's stay at Barnett is never addressed, because I'll bet they forgot themselves.

Last edited:

IndyKate

Hehe, perhaps Indy was a visiting prof, or something similar, at Barnett and the "boiler room/ office" made him decide to permanently return to Marshall :D

Sorry, I just love the scene where he sneaks out of his office.

metalinvader

IndyKate said:
At 16 minutes in Last Crusade, when the students are swarming outside Indy's office, look at their notebooks. Most of them have white stickers that say "Barnett" in big letters. I'd offer a screen capture, but I'm not sure how to take one on this computer.

Hope this helps...:)

http://www.theraider.net/showimage..../films/crusade/gallery/dvdscreenshots/077.jpg

Note the note book at the bottom of the image.

IndyKate,Pay no attention to Sankara.....His persistence is annoying.

Sankara

*LOL*

At 16 minutes in Last Crusade, when the students are swarming outside Indy's office, look at blond guy with a white shirt and a big blue "M" on it!
"M" for Marshall College! (y)

You can see the shirt better in "The complete making of Indiana Jones"-Book page 216! Same Shirt in on page 264! (y)

As you know I studied the Indiana Jones-Movies all my life. I read many-many-many-may books about making this movies... and I saw everything about making the movies... I've never heard some of the makers saying that Indy (and Brody *LOL) switching between two colleges.

It's the same colleges in all movies...

Way of the dodo

Isn't it more likely the Crusade art department just didn't remember the Raiders school had a name? (I doubt anybody on the crew including Spielberg read the novelization 6 years earlier.)