KotCS: Homages, Similarities, and References

James

Spalko's plan for the skull mines the same "red scare" territory of films like Invaders From Mars, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, etc.

sandiegojones

I actually just realized that the film has a big reference to one of GL's favorite films (and mine), Forbidden Planet.

The basic plot of that film is that there was an ancient civilization on the planet of Altair 4 called the Krell. These beings had advanced knowledge and built a great underground city that had an unlimited power source, which when they hook their minds up to the energy gave them great psychic powers that allowed them to create with just a mere thought. The problem was that their subconscious created monsters from the "Id". The space ship in the film also looks conspicuously like the UFO that leaves Akator.

The idea that the "Inter-dimensional beings" had great psychic powers and that they helped create an ancient advanced civilization is a similar concept and an overt homage in my opinion. Also, the fact that Spalko gets the knowledge she seeks, but that it destroys her mind is also similar to the damage the Krell machine does to a weaker mind.

There are also references to Invasion of the Body Snathcers and Invaders from Mars in that those films used atomic fear and the fear that Communists would take control over our minds and "invade" the USA. Lastly I think that there's some inference to The Day the Earth Stood Still since that film was about aliens coming to Earth to warn about nuclear proliferation. I believe that the aliens and UFO left Akator at the end of the film as they knew that Earthings had gotten to the point that they'd use their knowledge for destruction (which is why having the atomic test earlier in the film was necessary).

Of course there are the musical references and other movie stuff, but I think these are the "meat & potatoes" of the film.

Kooshmeister

vf wing said:
3) Dean Charles Stanforth is listed in the credits as "Dean Stanton", a rather obvious nod to Harry Dean Stanton, another Alien cast member.

He is? If "Stanton" is his name in the credits does this mean "Stanforth" everywhere else is incorrect? Is this another Satipo/Sapito thing waiting to happen?

There was a Professor Stanton in deleted scene in LC, although both he and the other guy from that scene, Dr. Mulbray, are still listed in the credits (and appear in the novelization, it goes without saying). If it is decided "Stanton" is the Dean's name, and not Stanforth, this could mean Professor Stanton and Charles Stanton could be retconned into being the same character.

That's if he's actually Stanton in the credits. I'm gonna double-check my copy of the DVD.

Incidentally I also noticed Dovchenko's name was apparently originally going to be "Duvchenko." This is what the pre-viz sequences call him anyway.

Dewy9

sandiegojones said:
I actually just realized that the film has a big reference to one of GL's favorite films (and mine), Forbidden Planet.

The basic plot of that film is that there was an ancient civilization on the planet of Altair 4 called the Krell. These beings had advanced knowledge and built a great underground city that had an unlimited power source, which when they hook their minds up to the energy gave them great psychic powers that allowed them to create with just a mere thought. The problem was that their subconscious created monsters from the "Id". The space ship in the film also looks conspicuously like the UFO that leaves Akator.

Yep, that's a great point. There's also the part about some people's minds not being strong enough to survive that brain testing device while others can (similiar to the skull's eyes). George also said that Robbie the Robot was the inspiration for C-3PO.

I need to go dig up my DVD of the movie and watch it along with the documentary that TCM made about 50's Sci Fi movies.

James

sandiegojones said:

This is why I'm surprised they didn't include the dialogue about Akator being "one big power generator". Or include at least one matte shot of them exploring the subterranean city.

TheMutt92

jonesissparrow said:
Crystal Skull - Sci - Fi movies like The Blob,The Thing, etc. which was done nicely in the graveyard sequence almost feel like a scene that could be played at a drive-in.

Now that I think about, the graveyard seems to be one of those scenes that would play on our local drive-in as my brother and I would pass by. Nice observation... :hat:

sandiegojones

The sound of the portal/UFO activating in KOTCS sounds a lot like the electronic soundtrack to Forbidden Planet. Especially tracks 18 & 21 here:

http://www.amazon.com/Forbidden-Pla...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1224694759&sr=8-3

Some of the synopsis from wikipedia is interesting too:

Morbius tells Adams he has been reconstructing the history and science of the Krell, the long-extinct natives. They had possessed a technology and society a million years ahead of that of humanity, but had all died 200,000 years before in a single night of inexplicable destruction. He shows his guests what he calls a "plastic educator". His first use of it put him into a coma for almost two days, but also doubled his intellect, enabling him to build Robby and the rest of the wondrous devices....

While Adams confronts Morbius, Ostrow sneaks in and uses the educator. Before he dies from its effects, he gasps out his revelation: the vast machine was designed to let the Krell materialize anything they wanted at a mere thought. "But the Krell forgot one thing! Monsters, John! Monsters from the id!" Though the Krell considered themselves civilized, their subconscious minds were unleashed to act out their darkest urges, resulting in their destruction....

As Morbius lies dying, he directs Adams to press a lever which sets the Krell machine to destroy itself. Adams, Altaira, Robby, and the surviving crew witness the destruction of the planet from a safe distance in space.

This parallels Spalko getting the advanced knowledge from the skull and dying from it and Indy and the rest watching Akator getting destroyed.

Stoo

vf wing said:
3) Dean Charles Stanforth is listed in the credits as "Dean Stanton", a rather obvious nod to Harry Dean Stanton, another Alien cast member.
I just checked the credits on the DVD and it says "Dean Charles Stanforth". Were you referring to the theatrical release?
Kooshmeister said:
Is this another Satipo/Sapito thing waiting to happen?
Not in this case but for another character, YES!

Benraianajones

When Spalko is recieving streams of knowledge, is the sound effect the same one used for the spirits when they first emerge from the Ark?

sandiegojones

Benraianajones said:
When Spalko is recieving streams of knowledge, is the sound effect the same one used for the spirits when they first emerge from the Ark?
Seems similar, but the music and other effects kind of drown it out.

WeAreGoingToDie

I've actually started to consider creating a fanedit of the film, creating a full frame presentation in black in white. I'm not considering any edits to the film itself (I love it the way it is), but am considering changing the intro and ending credits to match the b-movie vibe:

6a00d83451c2d869e200e55gu4.jpg

Joe Brody

. . . .and I concur. That b&W opening is priceless. Makes one think those teenagers are going to run into zombies instead of Soviets. Really, really good stuff.

. . . .WEAREGOINGTODIE, I guess the Phillies aren't too entertaining tonight.

And you should do a fan edit. Wasn't there a spinning wheel shot in American Graffiti? Put a shot of that in the opening right after the kids pass the convoy . . .

Hint at some dark demise for the kids in the jalopy (instead of them driving off blissfully down the road) and you set a whole new tone for the film. Instead of a joy ride you get something ominous. Man, KOTCS had great potential.

(and with regard to Mr. Stanton, "The life of a repo man is always intense.")

Last edited:

James

WeAreGoingToDie, that's great stuff. :cool:

Funny how it immediately changes your perception of the title, and really makes the "B" vibe stick out.

WeAreGoingToDie

Ha! Thanks all! (yeah, Phillies were "meh" last night, but the series ain't over!)

I agree, the film's title takes on a different feel once you see it in b-movie font. I almost I didn't consider using American Graffiti footage if I do decide to do the fan edit, good idea! The major difficulty is cutting around the opening titles. I could either cut around them and lay in "Hound Dog" over the trimmed footage, or crop them out (example, show the left side of the screen while Ray Winstone's credit is on the right). I'd plan on leaving the rest of the film intact though.

One step further and it TRULY would be a b-movie:
lolnw9.jpg

oki9Sedo

It occurred to me before the film came out that they might use font like that for the opening credits, just like a '50s B-movie, but I'm glad they didn't.