Disney's Hollywood Studios

Le Saboteur

Attila the Professor said:
I think the question that we might further discuss is whether or not we think it's likely that they'll abandon having any Indiana Jones presence in the park. Is Jock's bar a consolation prize?

I'll lay money on it never being referred to as "Jock's Bar" outside of putative promotional materials and ephemera within. It'll almost constantly be referred to as the "Hangar Bar" in day to day interactions. Though, there will be an outside chance of it being colloquially referred to as "Jock's".

Point of order: Shanghai Disneyland is being reported to cost around $5.5-billion all inclusive. No way the board allocates $3-billion for a single "land".

And, at the risk of being cryptic, this isn't the first time Imagineering has tried to work Dr. Jones into a dining establishment at one of the parks.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
I'll lay money on it never being referred to as "Jock's Bar" outside of putative promotional materials and ephemera within...

There's a "strapped" pun in there somewhere, but I ain't going to go hunting around for it.

IAdventurer01

Ugh. Losing Indy aside, the Great Movie ride is sort of the lynch-pin of the feel of the whole park. I know they are making a bunch of changes, but I figured the entrance would stay pretty consistent - much as Disney's California Adventure is designed.

Is it at least safe to assume that although the ride is being axed, this new attraction is enclosed in the Chinese Theater?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
IAdventurer01 said:
Is it at least safe to assume that although the ride is being axed, this new attraction is enclosed in the Chinese Theater?

That is the plan, yes. Indeed, it sounds as though the new ride will use the same track as the old ride.

I made it there for a very quick trip about two weekends ago, see the Great Movie Ride and Universe of Energy before they closed. I didn't make time for the Stunt Spectacular; one wonders if it'll still there whenever I make it back down.

Last edited:

JasonMa

My wife was scheduled to go visit her Dad in Orlando on Tuesday. When they made the attraction closing announcements she changed her flight to last Friday. Yesterday they went to EPCOT and rode Energy, today they have FastPasses for Great Movie Ride around 7pm tonight.

She just told me that the standby line on the Movie Ride is currently 2 hours.

micsteam

I'm in agreement with Attila, it's my understanding that the Chinese Theatre exterior will stay the same and the new ride will be a history of Mickey Mouse. As much of a die hard fan of the Movie Ride as I am I have to say it wasn't getting the attention some of the other attractions and sections of the park was getting. I did enjoy the mild sprucing up of the ride recently by teaming up with Turner Clasic Movies (one of my favorite channels on TV/Cable), still it's sad and I couldn't make it up there to catch it before it closed ! :(

micsteam

I'm sorry, I'd originally heard The Great Movie Ride was going to be turned into a history of Mickey Mouse, it's actually going to be " Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railroad ".

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Count me in! (eventually, anyway....)
Plenty of room a the Hotel Halcyon!
Disney World’s much-hyped “Star Wars” Galactic Starcruiser hotel, which only has 100 rooms, is not even close to selling out, Disney’s availability calendar shows. Lodgings are small and only have windows looking out onto a screen replicating outer space. Reviewers likened them to a “windowless bunker” and a “suburban junior high school built in the mid-1970s.” It also lacks the amenities usually expected in hotels at this price point, like a pool and spa.

Lance Quazar

Plenty of room a the Hotel Halcyon!

Yeah, those are just ****ty reviewers looking for easy clickbait. Are we shocked that every single room at the starcruiser isn't sold out? No. Guess what, it's sold out for the next three months. That seems like they're doing fine, since they look to pull in about ten million dollars a month on this. I'm sure other dates will sell out as they get closer.

And if not, who cares? Who honestly gives a ****? Disney's bottom line doesn't concern me. Whether or not it's a good experience does.

It's not a friggin' "hotel." It's not supposed to have a pool and a spa, it's a 45 hour interactive theater/game. That's the entire point. Not to sit in a hot tub or get a massage. You're not spending $2500 a night for that.

There are plenty of reviewers who love it, but it's definitely not an experience for everyone and that's perfectly fine. You don't have to like it at all! You can be critical, but criticize it on its own terms, not because you don't understand it.

These deliberately snarky reviews are just plain dumb, it's as if they're trying to miss the point, just trying to get cheap clicks by taking ignorant swipes. How boring, how predictable.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
It just sounded a little claustrophobic with the windowless bunks. Not my idea of an immediate post-Covid escape, real cruises are cheaper and longer. Still it's suited for this particular park which is short on rides. Here's a rundown on the recent changes discussed in this thread:

Studio Backlot Tour (May 1, 1989 - September 27, 2014)

Lights, Motors, Action!: Extreme Stunt Show (May 5, 2005 - April 2, 2016)
Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Millennium Falcon – Smugglers Run (August 29, 2019 - present)
Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Rise of the Resistance (January 17, 2020 - present)

The Great Movie Ride (May 1, 1989 - August 13, 2017)
Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway (March 4, 2020 - present)

Toy Story Land: Slinky Dog Dash (June 29, 2018 - present)
Toy Story Land: Alien Swirling Saucers (June 29, 2018 - present)

Lance Quazar

It just sounded a little claustrophobic with the windowless bunks. Not my idea of an immediate post-Covid escape, real cruises are cheaper and longer. Still it's suited for this particular park which is short on rides. Here's a rundown on the recent changes discussed in this thread:

Studio Backlot Tour (May 1, 1989 - September 27, 2014)

Lights, Motors, Action!: Extreme Stunt Show (May 5, 2005 - April 2, 2016)
Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Millennium Falcon – Smugglers Run (August 29, 2019 - present)
Star Wars Galaxy's Edge: Rise of the Resistance (January 17, 2020 - present)

The Great Movie Ride (May 1, 1989 - August 13, 2017)
Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway (March 4, 2020 - present)

Toy Story Land: Slinky Dog Dash (June 29, 2018 - present)
Toy Story Land: Alien Swirling Saucers (June 29, 2018 - present)
I know this wasn't your point, but the land has many more rides than listed here. It has a decent amount of quality rides at the moment for sure.

I got to see "Lights, Motors, Action!" in 2014 and it was great fun, but it had to die so that Galaxy's Edge could live.