The Lone Ranger

roundshort

BEst News I have heard about this project! Lone Ranger needs something to hip it up, as this could be a huge flop if not done correctly!

I hope this is true!

agentsands77

The report is misguided. It was recently confirmed in Variety and elsewhere that Depp is signed on as Tonto, not as the Lone Ranger.

TheMutt92

Interesting. I don't doubt Clooney's ability, its just the thought of him and Johnny Depp side-by-side- in a 'Lone Ranger' movie. I get this feeling a lot though when I hear casting news on a movie like this. Its just so weird to imagine. But hey, I have complete faith and am eagerly awaiting this!

TheMutt92

Ryan Gosling to go "Hi-yo, silver"? Also, plot to be similar in style to Don Quixote...

http://www.slashfilm.com/ryan-gosling-talks-team-johnny-depp-the-lone-ranger/

Though it?s still a ways off, we know that, eventually, Gore Verbinski will direct a Jerry Bruckheimer-produced, Disney version of The Lone Ranger starring Johnny Depp as Tonto. But you can?t have Tonto without the title character himself and now The Wrap has learned that Ryan Gosling is in preliminary talks to scream ?Hi-yo Silver!?

"The only version of ?The Lone Ranger? I?m interested in doing is ?Don Quixote? told from Sancho Panza?s point of view? And hence I was honest early on with Johnny that Tonto is the part. We?re not going to do it [straight], everyone knows that story. I don?t want to tell that story."

RedeemedChild

Images from the upcoming Bruckheimer/ Disney Lone Ranger film.

lone-ranger-placard_650.jpg

lone%20ranger%20depp.jpg

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Skeet Ul--I mean Johnny Depp can start aging any flippin' day now.....

"Kenosabe, pale face. Me Tonto Sparrow scouting for Black Pearl. Ironic that my first horse was called White Feller. Second horse called Paint Horse. My face now painted so Git-um up, Scout!" :whip:

TheMutt92

Arnie Hammer...?

http://www.slashfilm.com/armie-hammer-ready-to-ride-as-the-lone-ranger/

Gore Verbinski may have his second star to appear in The Lone Ranger opposite Johnny Depp?s Tonto. Armie Hammer, who broke out big with The Social Network, co-starred with Leonardo DiCaprio in Clint Eastwood?s J. Edgar and has been tapped for Relativity?s Snow White, is in early talks to play the ?star? of this new look at one of America?s big Western heroes.

TheMutt92

Arnie Hammer is the Lone Ranger...

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/05/17/lone-ranger-armie-hammer-johnny-depp/

Johnny Depp has found his Lone Ranger. Armie Hammer, the 24-year-old actor who portrayed the Winklevoss twins in last year’s The Social Network, will play the masked hero in Disney’s adaptation of The Lone Ranger, according to Hammer’s rep. Depp, who has said that he’s part Cherokee or Creek Indian, had already been cast as the title character’s Native American companion Tonto. Gore Verbinski, who directed Depp in Rango and the first three Pirates of the Caribbean movies, will helm the film. Jerry Bruckheimer is producing the project, which Disney could release as early as next year.

TheMutt92

First he was the Green Hornet's father, now he is playing a part in the Lone Ranger's history...

http://www.slashfilm.com/tom-wilkinson-the-lone-ranger/

Variety reports that Wilkinson is circling the role of ?a railroad tycoon? who ?plays a prominent role? in the film. It?s probably reasonable to guess that he?d be playing a villain ? as Comic Book Movie notes, ?You don?t see many nice tycoons in these type of movies!? Without knowing anything else about the part, I think Wilkinson seems like a solid choice. Wilkinson?s a reliably strong actor who can do bad-guy parts as well as good-guy ones, and I have no doubt he?d be able to hold his own against Depp and Hammer.

TheMutt92

Halted!

In a stunning development, Disney has shut down production on The Lone Ranger, the Gore Verbinski-directed period Western that was to star Johnny Depp as Tonto and Armie Hammer as the title character. Jerry Bruckheimer is the producer and the script's by Justin Haythe. I'm told this all just happened, and Disney pulled the plug because the budget, which I've heard the filmmakers were trying to reduce from $250 million--I've heard from insider that they'd gotten down to $232 million, but whatever the number, it wasn't close to the $200 million that Disney wanted to spend. This had to be an incredibly tough call for Disney's Rich Ross and Sean Bailey, but they have several huge live action bets on the table already.

This becomes the second major Western-themed project to bite the dust, after Universal halted a mammoth adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower. Is it coincidence that The Lone Ranger halted right after another Western, Cowboys & Aliens, proved to be a pricey disappointment for DreamWorks and Universal?

Really disappointed, I was looking forward to this.

TheMutt92

May not be dead yet...

http://www.slashfilm.com/lone-ranger-dead/

Fees: Gore Verbinski and Jerry Bruckheimer have reportedly both cut their fees, to the tune of a $10m savings.

The Supernatural: The “werewolves and other supernatural creatures” from the last draft have been cut.

The current draft still has three “massive action set pieces involving trains,” including “one described as the biggest train sequence in film history.” That I can accept; trains are a huge part of western lore, and of western movie history.