Warehouse scene

James

"The genius of Doom"?

Oh (the) man, where were you back in 1984, when I was trying to defend that film against "the genius of Raiders"? :D

The Man

James said:
"The genius of Doom"?

Oh (the) man, where were you back in 1984, when I was trying to defend that film against "the genius of Raiders"? :D

I was six - and I turned down a chance to see Doom in the cinema! Super-duper d'oh!:eek:

James

The Man said:
I was six - and I turned down a chance to see Doom in the cinema! Super-duper d'oh!:eek:

Did you opt to see another film instead? If so, we need to know what that film was. :D

The Man

James said:
Did you opt to see another film instead? If so, we need to know what that film was. :D

No. From what I can remember myself and a group of friends opted to stay and play at home instead of heading to the cinema...(y)

jazzycmk

Loved the warehouse scene. Very stylish, sly nod to the fans.

I didn't think they would actually show the Ark. I thought it might be implied, but we would never know for sure (surely the government has other warehouses). The fact that we saw it but Indy didn't was very cool. Indy will never know how close he was (although in the novelization he does briefly glimpse the Ark).

As someone else mentioned, about the only thing I might have changed in the warehouse sequence was Indy's escape from the standoff. The tossed gun firing and shooting the Russians in the foot seemed a little too convenient. With the magnetized alien casket, you would have thought Indy could have just tossed the gun in the air, and it would have made for the casket like a laser, maybe knocking some of the Russians off their feet.

But that minor bit of nitpicking aside, opening sequence was my favorite of the movie.

Dewy9

I loved the bit where Indy makes his getaway. That part is kind of like my "head version" of Indy. It's the way I remember the movies. Got the car chase, whip use, and the Raiders March all in one. Heck, it was worth $6 just to see that 3 minute clip. All the rest after that was gravy.

Agent Z

The Man said:
Remember how immediate and knowable Lao Che felt in Doom as soon as Indy sat down at his table? It doesn't need explanation or forced exposition because enmity is implicit in the performances and the tone. Friendship is handled with equal grace and brevity when it comes to Indy's friends in Raiders (Marcus, Sallah).

Not an apt comparison. Lao Che is a throwaway villain, a caricature serving his purpose to set up an action piece. Nothing more, nothing less. If you couldn't see that he was a villain from first appearance alone, then you must have missed out on Saturday mornings growing up. I enjoyed his stereotypical villain laugh though. However, I kinda lament that he didn't have a handlebar mustache to twist the ends up on with his fingers while laughing.... ;)

Mac, on the other hand, is a thread throughout the entire story, whether you agree with his inclusion or not.

As mentioned before though, I didn't have a problem with Mac's into, although I conceded that certain people might.

Last edited:

The Man

Agent Z said:
As mentioned before though, I didn't have a problem with Mac's into, although I conceded that certain people might.

INT. HANGAR 51 - DUSK

Indy looks to his left...only to see his old and loyal friend Mac with a rifle trained in his direction...

INDY
Why Mac? Why betray me? After all those years. Tut-tut. Why must I reminisce about our history at this point? Why reveal your true intentions after only ten minutes? Why?

MAC
Exposition, mate. The seven-year-olds in the audience need this sh!t spelled out.

INDY
Kids?! What about the older fanbase, those with us from the very beginning?

Mac chortles most heartily...

MAC
Aww, f*ck 'em, Jonesy! Georgie-Boy has the demographic sewn-up. All those older guys, they'll be too sentimental, too proud, too misty-eyed to admit this movie sucks a dog's bollocks. And my true motivations? Pah! Have you read this cack from cover to cover? I flip-flop so much from here on in you'll think I'm a f*ckin' schizo!

SPALKO
Enough! Have vu any final vords, Doctoh Jooones?

INDY
Yeah. Deux et machina, b!tch!

Indy drops his firearm to the ground. Against the principles of physics and logic it independently discharges a round into the foot of a Commie goon. Panic and wild gunfire erupts, giving Indy just enough time - about ten seconds - to gingerly jog behind a flank of crates.

SPALKO
By the moustache of Stalin, this man moves like lightening! Go, comrades! Try to kill him!​

para_owl

Sans Fedora said:
I thought it worked, tonally and it was neat to finally find out what that warehouse was and where it was.
What I thought wasn't as good as a decision, though, from a pace/story perspective is this: Notice in the first three films how the opening act is always a story separate from the main story. It's an opener, a separate little serial that gives you a glimpse into the many adventures of Indy across the globe or into his past. In this flick, the opener, although it fit tonally, dealt strictly with the main plot.

but do you know what I'm trying to say about the mystery? Sequels tend answer some questions that were better off left as mysteries. Even if I had not known that this was the warehouse from Raiders..I still would have thought this scene was an interesting way to start a film. I also would have wished they would have held back just a little bit with special effects here. One carefully placed escape with the whip would have been my choice.

thanks for responding guys,

--Will.

Silentrascal

para_owl said:
I have mixed feelings about this. After seeing Raiders I immediately thought how cool it would have been to be in such a mysterious room. So, when it actually happened in this film it was cool, but not for long. I'd like to hear either way what you guys thought about this scene.

While I'm quite vocal on my overall disgust for this lousy movie, I will admit that I did have some good feelings in the very beginning. I felt that I could tell where they were going before Indy's escape, and looked forward to it all, but then my disappointment began with some poor editing in which Indy appeared to be given ample time to run and hide when the Russians should have mowed him right down. I liked the run across the rafters, but then I was disappointed yet again when the audience was shown the Ark, but Indy had no knowledge of it, not even a quick double-take. I think it would have been a much better scene had he seen it. But more than that, I would have liked to have the film started off with seeing Indy and Mac being abducted, rather than just see them yanked out of the trunk of the car.

The Man

Worst. Retort. Ever.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9h97Zm7rbos&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9h97Zm7rbos&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>:rolleyes:

I like Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1TmeBd9338&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U1TmeBd9338&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

James

Sam Falco said:
Its an appropriate retort given the people he's up against.

It's also appropriate for the character. Indy can't really think of any witty "defiant last words", so he just says the most patriotic thing he can think of.

The great thing about Indiana Jones is that he isn't always prepared for the situation. So he just has to bluff his way through and make stuff up.

tastethecourage

The Man said:
Worst. Retort. Ever.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9h97Zm7rbos&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9h97Zm7rbos&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>:rolleyes:

Really, is it any worse than when the Thuggee walks up to Indy in Doom and he just goes, ".....Hi." ?

I know, Doom's isn't actually a retort, but still. Equally as silly of a comment considering Indy is held captive by a heart-stealing, kid-slaving, human-burning evil cult.

well people indy also gave that TERRIBLE line " well by the way your sinking your teeth into those wubba yoos..." worst line ever

RaideroftheArk

oliverjones18 said:
well people indy also gave that TERRIBLE line " well by the way your sinking your teeth into those wubba yoos..." worst line ever

lol...and I thought this was one of the better lines.

The Man

Much of Ford's early dialogue seemed off, but to fair - yes, yes - perhaps it's simply surreal to hear this guy say anything after twenty years...