How should it end?

EddyW

Problem one shows me you have a shallow perception of what animation could be. Problem two on the other hand is a valid one, but not something that's impossible to solve. The examples you give are old and cheesy. Clone Wars for instance is a great example of how you port a movie franchise to an animated series. It might not be for everyone still, but I think the majority of the movie fans agree and the kids love it.

Randy_Flagg said:
I have to admit that I'd really have no interest in an Indy cartoon.

I see two big problems with it:

1. The situations would end up being too over-the-top and stupid because there are no limitations with animation, and because cartoons tend to be exaggerations of what can be done in real life. I can easily picture cringe-worthy scenes like Indy surfing on a shark, or having a fist fight on the wing of an airplane (while occasionally flapping his arms and yelling, "Whoooaaa! Whooaaa!" as he's about to lose his balance.)

2. It would get really, really repetitive. The Indy formula is very basic: Indy must keep powerful artifact out of the hands of villains. They managed to stretch this across four films, and it's already getting a bit long in the tooth. Now imagine seeing it replayed over multiple episodes of a tv show every week. That would get old fast. But if they vary the formula, then it risks not really being Indy (remember how un-Indy-like the Young Indy was?)

Aside from that, I guess I just remember too well how bad some previous movie-to-cartoon attempts have been. Remember The Karate Kid cartoon? The Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventures cartoon? And if you completely forgot that those cartoon ever existed, well, that just further proves my point that an Indy cartoon probably isn't something to get too excited about.

Udvarnoky said:
What, you mean a hand-drawn one? You act like you're the first person to think of that. Wanna know why you're the only one saying it? Because it belongs in the same realm as wishing for a life sized T-Rex made out of solid chocolate to materialize in your backyard.

Disney's not going to pay for a traditionally animated 2D cartoon. They can't even be bothered to put out a 2D feature once a decade. The Princess and the Frog was supposed to presage a mini-revivial, but ultimately they gutted their hand-drawn divsion last year.

Disney just announced a 2D series based on the Lion King. Judging from the stills they released, production value wise, it's looking pretty good.

kongisking

EddyW said:
Disney just announced a 2D series based on the Lion King. Judging from the stills they released, production value wise, it's looking pretty good.

I read about that, and was genuinely surprised at its existence. And in hindsight...its also mind-blowing (and possibly a sign that there is a caring God up there) that it will be in 2-D. I would not have been surprised at all if they tried doing it as a CG show, which would have made me absolutely nauseous.

Stoo

curmudgeon said:
What would you want the last scene of the final movie* to be?
Poor you, curmudgeon. Here you are asking a simple question about ideas for a last scene but people can't help themselves from talking about an animated series (when there are so many threads about that topic already).:rolleyes:

To TheFedora & kongisking: Indy lives into his 90s* so he can't die in the 5th (or 6th) movie unless you want it to take place in 1994 or later.:p

*His old, wrinkled hands can still be seen on the DVDs.
Montana Smith said:
Crushed by a descending door? :dead:

(Spikes optional).
How about Indy getting trapped alone inside a tomb? A big, white question mark could be superimposed over the final shot like some 1950s movies. It would be the ultimate cliffhanger.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
400.jpg

Should of ended this way...

instead it ended this way:

500.jpg

Forbidden Eye

I don't mind the cliched "walking into the sunset" ending, but it's about execution, and LC's ending didn't do that all that well. Having Marcus, Sallah and Henry Jones Sr. go off with Indy kinda cheapened the impact such and ending was supposed to have(and as one mentioned elsewhere, Marcus nearly falling off his horse makes it worse). I can accept the expected "Well it was still better than we got in KOTCS" response, but we shouldn't really romanticize the LC ending, IMO.

As for how Indy 5 should end, I figure it should be like how Raiders started, which is a silhouette of Indy walking into some mountain somewhere. Or at least, maybe have everyone think Indy is dead, see character place a "burial" for him placing his hat there, than see a shadow of a man picking up the hat, walking away leaving it ambiguous whether he's still alive or not.