2014 World Cup in Brazil

00Kevin

Indyfan
who all is excited about the world cup? anybody out there supporting any particular teams or have any predictions?

The USA, my country, is my main team. I also support Iran, where my dad is from. I often root for England and Germany as well. Otherwise anyone who is playing exciting beautiful football gets my support.

Joe Brody

This thread is overdue.

I'd love some upsets -- especially Brazil (who I like) because they got too cushy a bracket and I'd like to see it open up and see the finals with teams out of the Death Groups: B, D & G.

I'm excited to see Ghana in the U.S.'s bracket and I while I don't expect much from the US I think they will surprise because I think the program is headed in the right direction under the new coach.

00Kevin

Indyfan
Brazil will have a tough opponent as early as the round of 16, should be interesting

yea, usa is my team, It's been an exciting era so far under Klinsmann, it would be really make my summer if we can advance to the knockout stages

jsarino

00Kevin said:
It's been an exciting era so far under Klinsmann

He's made some waves by leaving Donovan off the roster, fielding a young team with only 6 players with Cup experience. We'll see soon enough if the risks he took pay off.

Joe Brody

^^^BUMP^^^

The U.S. advances and there's nothing here?

Now that the fog is lifting on the first stage, any one care to make any predictions for a final match-up?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
^^^BUMP^^^

The U.S. advances and there's nothing here?

Now that the fog is lifting on the first stage, any one care to make any predictions for a final match-up?

USA v. Mexico. You know, cause of social engineering and all.

Forbidden Eye

I don't get why in the U.S. this has gotten more publicity than in years past. Because there's no summer movies worth hyping?

Joe Brody

More diverse population + decades of youth soccer + MLS gaining traction = Greater interest in the World Cup.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
More diverse population + decades of youth soccer + MLS gaining traction = Greater interest in the World Cup.
Why didn't social soccer mom's make the cut?

jsarino

Pale Horse said:

LOL!

Argentina playing now (rooting for them). Here's a unabashedly patriotic USA video...USA, USA!!! :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zaTmXuQr0LA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

00Kevin

Indyfan
Brazil/Germany and Argentina/Netherlands set to meet in semifinals

pretty much the most elite final four as can be

Joe Brody

I agree no surprises in teh final four. What'll crush Brazil more: an all Europe final or Argentina beating Germany in Brazil?

Pale Horse said:

If I had to venn diagram it, decades of youth soccers includes the moms. Otherwise, I'm not going to touch that one.

roundshort

well the world cup has been peaking interest in the US~ I read that since the start of the WC, that the MLS have sold a record 36 season tickets (combined). This an 80% increase over last year!

jsarino

Joe Brody said:
If I had to venn diagram it, decades of youth soccers includes the moms. Otherwise, I'm not going to touch that one.

I take my son to soccer far more than my wife does...so I guess that makes me a "soccer dad". :p On the plus side, there's more of said moms to look, er, chit chat with during games. ;)

roundshort said:
well the world cup has been peaking interest in the US~ I read that since the start of the WC, that the MLS have sold a record 36 season tickets (combined). This an 80% increase over last year!

Hopefully that'll continue to bring more growth. :)

Would like to see Messi get that elusive WC trophy, and quiet those Maradona fans that say Lionel hasn't won the big one.

Finn

Staff member
Breaking News: Much to the chagrin of the Catholic Church, around 100,000,000 Brazillians turned atheist tonight.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Finn said:
Breaking News: Much to the chagrin of the Catholic Church, around 100,000,000 Brazillians turned atheist tonight.

xyfJufu.png