Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Pale Horse

Staff member
Duaner said:
I cannot believe how many people have said something similar and that is completely wrong! I cannot recall a scene in recent film history that affected me so deeply. All day long the day after the premiere, I was replaying the scene in my head and fighting back tears. I would not consider that underwhelming!

I envy the ability to approach that scene with they eyes you did.

Duaner said:
I cannot believe how many people have said something similar and that is completely wrong! I cannot recall a scene in recent film history that affected me so deeply. All day long the day after the premiere, I was replaying the scene in my head and fighting back tears. I would not consider that underwhelming!

Man, I agree completely! That scene really bothered me for several days afterwards. Anger, sadness - I was amazed at how much it affected me.

I thought the movie was awesome. It was just a great ride from start to finish. Rey was great, Harrison nailed all the right notes for me as Han. The similarities to Episode IV didn't bother me at all, because it all worked so well in this movie. And I thought the final scene was great. (y)

I can't wait to see how they progress the story and characters with the next one.

Duaner

TheIndyOpinion said:
Man, I agree completely! That scene really bothered me for several days afterwards. Anger, sadness - I was amazed at how much it affected me.

I thought the movie was awesome. It was just a great ride from start to finish. Rey was great, Harrison nailed all the right notes for me as Han. The similarities to Episode IV didn't bother me at all, because it all worked so well in this movie. And I thought the final scene was great. (y)

I can't wait to see how they progress the story and characters with the next one.

I'm glad to see someone who agrees!:hat: I think the majority of Star Wars fans loved The Force Awakens and were deeply affected by that scene. I often feel like moviegoers today are far too jaded. I have no complaints about the film and am also eager to see where the series goes next. I will miss Han, but at the same time, I really like the new characters - especially Poe Dameron. I hope to see more of him!

Z dweller

Pale Horse said:
I envy the ability to approach that scene with they eyes you did.
I know the feeling... isn't it sad when you just can't a̶w̶a̶k̶e̶n̶ reach out to your inner five year old?
Duaner said:
I cannot recall a scene in recent film history that affected me so deeply.
TheIndyOpinion said:
That scene really bothered me for several days afterwards. Anger, sadness - I was amazed at how much it affected me.
You guys really ought to stop waxing lyrical about it, you might give Disney some ideas about Indy 5... :dead: :eek:

AnythingGoes

Duaner said:

I think the biggest problem with the scene isn't the execution, but the fact that a lot of people knew Han was going to die, and therefore couldn't quite be surprised, especially given how it sort of, not really, parallels the Obi-Wan/Vader fight from New Hope.

I personally thought it was a good scene, moving, but not poetry. Though I suppose nobody goes to see Star Wars for poetry...

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dollars to Donuts JJ Abrams was the one to write that scene.

Had Kasdan wrote it, there would have been no foreshadowing that Kylo and Ben were related.

Lawrence would have let Kylo be Kylo for a while and then Han would have walked out onto that catwalk and said:

HAN SOLO
Kylo Ren!

KYLO REN
Han Solo. I've been waiting for this day for a long time.

Han Solo
Take off that mask, Kylo. You don't need it.

KYLO REN
What do you think you'll see if I do?

Han Solo
The face of my son, Ben. Ben Solo

KYLO REN
Your son is gone. He was weak and foolish like his father, so I destroyed him.

...Benefits, of a Classical Education. ...

Duaner

AnythingGoes said:
I think the biggest problem with the scene isn't the execution, but the fact that a lot of people knew Han was going to die, and therefore couldn't quite be surprised, especially given how it sort of, not really, parallels the Obi-Wan/Vader fight from New Hope.

I don't think it matters that we knew it would happen. The second Han called out his son's name and walked onto the catwalk, everyone knew this was the end for him. But when you have become so emotionally invested in a character and have watched him live to fight another day over and over again 1000 or more times, nothing will prepare you to actually watch it happen. This will go down as one of the most memorable scenes in Star Wars history. Anyone that did not shed a tear for dear old Han is probably not really a Star Wars fan.

Duaner

Pale Horse said:
How can you shed a tear for someone who wants to die?

Harrison Ford wanted Han Solo to die. Han Solo did not want Han Solo to die. If you immerse yourself in the story, you watch the character, not the actor. That's what watching movies is all about.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Duaner said:
Han Solo did not want Han Solo to die.

As a man who shoots first, why'd he go unarmed?

Because he wanted to die.

rMs9LE.gif

^ There was NONE of this character in TFA...

Dr. Gonzo

Pale Horse said:
As a man who shoots first, why'd he go unarmed?

Because he wanted to die.

rMs9LE.gif

^ There was NONE of this character in TFA...

Could be just me, but I was reading it as a gamble...

The character of Han Solo is that of a gambler, not even a calculated gambler -- he's reckless.
He's barely able to pull off so many of the things he does in Star Wars and often failing. Han Solo gambled 3 times in The Force Awakens, each gamble topping the previous one:

Light Speed out of the freighter (to which he is even called out on if it's possible)

Light speed through the Starkiller base shields (again another character mentions the INSANE risk)

And finally confronting his son, I saw it as calling his son's bluff...
even though we the audience knew, Han had gambled so much in the film and won that (on a gambler's high) he decided to take the ultimate gamble with his son, and lost.

But I can understand the arguments that people have made that it was out of character --
I've tried to look at it from every angle; like a wise old wizard once said "from a certain point of view"

(also Happy New Year folks)
Cheers Paley ole' boy.

AnythingGoes

Dr. Gonzo said:
Could be just me, but I was reading it as a gamble...

The character of Han Solo is that of a gambler, not even a calculated gambler -- he's reckless.
He's barely able to pull off so many of the things he does in Star Wars and often failing.

I'm with you on that one. There was a sort of understanding in that scene, for me at least, mixed in with the trepidation that this could only end one way, and that Han was ready to accept both outcomes.

Matter of fact, I enjoyed older Han Solo far more than I enjoyed older Indy. I'm not sure whether it's directly applicable to the writing, the circumstances, or Ford's enthusiasm-level, but it was easier to buy this Solo as an older version of the character from the originals. He's still brash and witty, still willing to take risks and protect those few he feels invested in.

But he's also changed as a person. He has an air of wisdom about him, and he's more open to excepting things he previously never would have considered. And his sacrifice at the end is the ultimate sign of his overall character development.

Not only is there more to him than money (fake posh accent and all), but he's willing to lay down his life if it means his son gets some chance at peace, even if he barely knows this kid as a person.

Older Indy, on the other hand, felt to me too old. The film tried a bit too hard to play him up as a gruff academic, at the same time sacrificing the charm and derring-do that used to separate Indy from Henry Sr. and the various other academics he met in the films and EU.

There wasn't a line between 'professor' Indy and 'adventurer' Indy, they just surfaced whenever the plot felt they needed to. With Solo, however, the character at least is consistent and believable. For me, at least.

And, on that note, Happy 2016, Raveners! :whip:

Olliana

Duaner said:
I don't think it matters that we knew it would happen. The second Han called out his son's name and walked onto the catwalk, everyone knew this was the end for him. But when you have become so emotionally invested in a character and have watched him live to fight another day over and over again 1000 or more times, nothing will prepare you to actually watch it happen. This will go down as one of the most memorable scenes in Star Wars history. Anyone that did not shed a tear for dear old Han is probably not really a Star Wars fan.

Signed.
I knew Ford wanted Han to die in Jedi, but much time has passed since, he was at another point in life and so on, and I haven't read any spoilers so I didn't really know if Han was gonna die in this one or not... until the very moment he entered the bridge.
From then on you just know it's gonna happen, but for me that didn't diminish the tension of that scene one second.
When it happened, I didn't cry, but I was really pissed and sad, even days later. The second time I saw it, it had almost the same effect on me, even though I had accepted Han's death at that point and knew exactly what was gonna happen.
I hate the moment Han gets killed by his own freaking son (of a *****), but it's very well done, and I think Ford nailed it.

Joe Brody

Han is not a gambler -- he's a cowboy ('Han Solo Cowboy' generates 1,040,000 Google hits versus 197,000 for 'Han Solo Gambler'). Look no further than the vest and the way he holsters his blaster.

Episodes IV and V Han: (i) shoots first, (ii) doesn't go looking for fight, (iii) pays for his messes, (v) is incredibly loyal and bails out/saves his buddies, (vi) is resourceful, and (vii) stoically accepts his fate (he had know way of knowing he would survive the freezing process). That's a cowboy.

Han's TFA backstories utterly destroys all that which is Han Solo. TFA Han: (i) has ditched his wife, family and friends, (ii) is unreliable in business and (iii) is more worried about retrieving the Falcon instead of taking down the little sociopath he helped bring into the galaxy. That's a scumbag.

The new TFA Han backstory is utter and complete cr*p.

If I were writing Han's final scene, it would start with him saying "Chewie, give me your crossbow. . ."

And from there -- in keeping with the Cowboy mythos -- a hard and stern Solo would proceed and take care of business, perishing nobly in the process. The end.

Taking a step back, the whole subplot (from Leia saying "bring him home" to Han's demise) is absurd. I'm surprised that there hasn't been more of a rejection by fans.

If you cared about the original Han Solo Character, you have to reject TFA.

Old rallying cry:
Han shot first.

New rallying cry
Han deserved better than patricide.

roundshort

Joe Brody said:
Han is not a gambler -- he's a cowboy ('Han Solo Cowboy' generates 1,040,000 Google hits versus 197,000 for 'Han Solo Gambler'). Look no further than the vest and the way he holsters his blaster.

Episodes IV and V Han: (i) shoots first, (ii) doesn't go looking for fight, (iii) pays for his messes, (v) is incredibly loyal and bails out/saves his buddies, (vi) is resourceful, and (vii) stoically accepts his fate (he had know way of knowing he would survive the freezing process). That's a cowboy.

Han's TFA backstories utterly destroys all that which is Han Solo. TFA Han: (i) has ditched his wife, family and friends, (ii) is unreliable in business and (iii) is more worried about retrieving the Falcon instead of taking down the little sociopath he helped bring into the galaxy. That's a scumbag.

The new TFA Han backstory is utter and complete cr*p.

If I were writing Han's final scene, it would start with him saying "Chewie, give me your crossbow. . ."

And from there -- in keeping with the Cowboy mythos -- a hard and stern Solo would proceed and take care of business, perishing nobly in the process. The end.

Taking a step back, the whole subplot (from Leia saying "bring him home" to Han's demise) is absurd. I'm surprised that there hasn't been more of a rejection by fans.

If you cared about the original Han Solo Character, you have to reject TFA.

Old rallying cry:
Han shot first.

New rallying cry

DAMN.

Joe Brody drops mic and leaves

To all the people supporting TFA and having a Ky-Lo Ren emo breakdown about Han's all to obvious fate-

- YOU GOT KNOCKED THE F@&$ OUT!

Seriously if you wrote you were shaken for days by this ending. Please stop everything and think about what you just said. This is a movie. I think you need to work in a soup kitchen, donate time to a real cause. He'll go fight IsIs but grow up!

roundshort

Duaner said:

I hope that real life things like the Paris Attacks, 9/11, the recent SoCal shootings "affected" you more. This is a movie. No body really died. Harrison was paid 30 to 70 MILL to get poked by emo Ren.

Duaner

roundshort said:
I hope that real life things like the Paris Attacks, 9/11, the recent SoCal shootings "affected" you more. This is a movie. No body really died. Harrison was paid 30 to 70 MILL to get poked by emo Ren.

If you looked at an earlier comment I made, I said I watch movies for the characters. I was watching Han Solo, not Harrison Ford. I don't care one bit in the least about the money Harrison Ford made for it - completely irrelevant. Was I affected by those real-life events you mentioned? Absolutely! The world is a sick place. That's part of why I enjoy watching Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc. They provide a bit of an escape from our world. I would hope you feel that way too. After all, you are a member of a forum dedicated to Indiana Jones! As a result of my viewing movies for the escapism, I do become emotionally invested and yes it did greatly sadden me to lose a character who I have loved my entire life. Does that mean I find it more important than those real-life events? No! I never said anything remotely close to that.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
(iii) is more worried about retrieving the Falcon instead of taking down the little sociopath he helped bring into the galaxy. That's a scumbag.

New rallying cry

As an involved father, the absentee dad trope is getting old, isn't it.