Rest In Peace, [Insert Name Here]

Stoo

Pale Horse said:
Rest in Peace Jim Nabors
Wow. Never saw that episode before! I used to watch re-runs of "Gomer Pyle" religiously every day after school at 4:30 and don't remember this at all. Gomer doing Don Quixote?!? Gotta love it. That's Jim's singing voice, for sure, but funny how he doesn't belt this one out with Pyle's southern accent!

He was also great in the Saturday morning, Sid & Marty Krofft show, "The Lost Saucer" with Ruth Buzzi. Good memories.

Speaking of memories, how about him singing "Back Home Again in Indiana" at all the openings of the Indy 500? Here he is in 1977 (the year of "Star Wars"):

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
RIP Billy Graham.

(Speaking of the Mandela Effect, I thought his helicopter crashed in 1991?)

Pale Horse

Staff member
Stephen 'stinking' Hawking

Stephen Hawking, the brightest star in the firmament of science, whose insights shaped modern cosmology and inspired global audiences in the millions, has died aged 76.

His family released a statement in the early hours of Wednesday morning confirming his death at his home in Cambridge.

I wonder if he found God, now?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The last line from the Kennedy/Spielberg produced Brief History of Time:
Stephen Hawking: If we do discover a complete theory of the universe, it should in time be understandable in broad principle by everyone, not just a few scientists. Then we shall all - philosophers, scientists, and just ordinary people - be able to take part in the discussion of why it is that we and the universe exist. If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason. For then we would know the mind of God.
So... he was a Reasonabilist?

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
First dead pool 8ever won!!!!! See what happened when you stop picking Keith Richards!

I've been double or nothing on Tim Curry for a while now...

This dissolved fast.

roundshort

Pale Horse said:
I've been double or nothing on Tim Curry for a while now...

This dissolved fast.

Bad move once a middle age star has a heart attack or stroke they seem to live forever. I am going Willford Brimley. He did eat all that oatmeal..

Pale Horse

Staff member
roundshort said:
Bad move once a middle age star has a heart attack or stroke they seem to live forever. I am going Willford Brimley. He did eat all that oatmeal..

It's my fault as a mod to deter this thread a tad, but I just read that Jack Nicholson now weighs 320lbs?!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Pale Horse said:
It's my fault as a mod to deter this thread a tad
It's not thread drift if "rest in peace" is a threat.

Are you referring to the Lee Atwater Invitational Dead Pool? Remember when Shia was going to play Atwater who died at 40? I've learned to stop betting on immortals. For instance, some time this year at John McCain's funeral the president will hand a folded flag to his mother (106).

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Art Bell in Pahrump, Nevada, at 72. I have fond memories of forcing rental cars up to the observatories on Mauna Kea, then driving home in the dark past invisible cows and listening to his midnight radio show in prime time. I suspect island hoppers and UFOlogists Lucas and Spielberg listened a fair amount also.

Stoo

My friends & I used to imitate some of his lines from "The Boys In Company C" during the early '80s but it wasn't until "Full Metal Jacket" did we learn R. Lee Ermey's name.

He was outstanding in that. As the story goes, he was originally hired as an advisor but felt that the actor playing the sergeant wasn't good enough so he sent a videotape to Kubrick auditioning for the role. Supposedly, it's a non-stop 15 minute barrage of verbal abuse from Ermey, barking orders & delivering insult after insult. No pauses, no repeating himself, the whole time being pelted with oranges and tennis balls! I would love to see that tape someday.

R.I.P. R.Lee

roundshort

Stoo said:
My friends & I used to imitate some of his lines from "The Boys In Company C" during the early '80s but it wasn't until "Full Metal Jacket" did we learn R. Lee Ermey's name.

He was outstanding in that. As the story goes, he was originally hired as an advisor but felt that the actor playing the sergeant wasn't good enough so he sent a videotape to Kubrick auditioning for the role. Supposedly, it's a non-stop 15 minute barrage of verbal abuse from Ermey, barking orders & delivering insult after insult. No pauses, no repeating himself, the whole time being pelted with oranges and tennis balls! I would love to see that tape someday.

R.I.P. R.Lee

While I was in Comm School in the USMC, one of my classmates, LCP Barr's father served as a DI with SSGT Ermey. Barr kinda grew up with him and his family were "friends" (DIs often have complicated lives). Barr had mastered SSGT Ermey cadence to a T! So when our Platoon had to march somewhere he would shout the Cadence. It was pretty entertaining to see EVERY Marine stop and look for SSGT Ermey.

He was a big reason why I enlisted in the Suk. RIP

AND RIP to Barbra Bush. A first class first lady.

roundshort

Since Joe called me out on the Gunny I can miss saying RIP to Bruno Sammartino. He used to workout wi5 my uncle back in the Burgh.

IndyBuff

roundshort said:
While I was in Comm School in the USMC, one of my classmates, LCP Barr's father served as a DI with SSGT Ermey. Barr kinda grew up with him and his family were "friends" (DIs often have complicated lives). Barr had mastered SSGT Ermey cadence to a T! So when our Platoon had to march somewhere he would shout the Cadence. It was pretty entertaining to see EVERY Marine stop and look for SSGT Ermey.

He was a big reason why I enlisted in the Suk. RIP

AND RIP to Barbra Bush. A first class first lady.

That she was. I was sad to hear of her passing.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Margot Kidder, 69. If my computer wasn't backed up I'd probably react the same.
In 1996, Kidder was involved in a bizarre off-screen incident that made internationals headlines. She had been working on an autobiography when a virus infected her computer and caused her to lose three years worth of writing. After a data-retrieval company failed to restore her lost work, Kidder became manic depressive, convinced that the federal government and her then-husband/novelist Thomas McGuane were plotting to kill her.

In mid-April 1996, her family in Montana reported her missing. Kidder ended up in downtown L.A., dirty and without her purse ? according to reports, she had thrown it away because she thought it held a bomb ? and met a homeless man who vowed to look after her. Reports say she survived a rape attempt the next day, in which another homeless man kicked her in the stomach and also knocked caps off of her front teeth. She eventually was found by Glendale police and taken to UCLA Medical Center.