The Old Indiana Jones Chronicles

Stoo

Flannery10 said:
Istanbul- Indiana Jones and the Wolf of Istanbul
This is the BEST! "They call him The Wolf! He's one of your group!":cool:

Talon Card said:
Old Indy bookends for the movies would be a fun fan film project. I think a good idea would be to set the bookends in the same year the film came out. That way, you don't have to have an exact match for Harrison Ford or George Hall...
I played the role of an old man in a student film project once and used Old Indy as an inspiration.
Didn't even think about it at the time and it just came to me. The idea of bookends for the movies is a great one!
One foray into this area is a fan-made film that has Old Indy in 1977 but I can't remember its name...

Flannery10

TalonCard said:
Old Indy bookends for the movies would be a fun fan film project. I think a good idea would be to set the bookends in the same year the film came out. That way, you don't have to have an exact match for Harrison Ford or George Hall...

TC

And while we're on it, we should make up some bookends for the episodes, which never had bookends, like Palestine or Phantom Train of Doom.

Adamwankenobi

Stoo said:
Yes, Adam, that was great. You really captured the tone!:cool: I especially liked the "tilts head back" detail.
Bookends for the films...very interesting concept. (I wonder if I could make one from all the Old Indy footage...)
Please, have a go at the other 2 movies. In a few weeks you can do Indy 4, too!:D

Thanks! I'll try to write bookends for the other films soon, but they'll probably suck compared to my Last Crusade bookends. :p

Temple of Doom, I think, will be the hardest to do.

Flannery10 said:
And while we're on it, we should make up some bookends for the episodes, which never had bookends, like Palestine or Phantom Train of Doom.

Good idea. :hat:

Adamwankenobi

And now, my bookends for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. They're a bit long, but I got carried away and couldn't help myself. :p :D

Old Indy is with his great-grandchildren Annie and Harry at the 1994 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. We see a couple of the usual floats pass by. The two kids cheer at The Lion King float. A woman approaches Indy.

Caroline:
You must be getting cold, Grandpa! (smiles) I’ll take over from here.

Old Indy:
Well… I think I could hold out… but a rest would do me good. (waves at them all) See you kids in a little while.

Indy looks around, and spots a nearby café alongside the road. He enters and takes his coat off. He sits down at the bar, and orders a cup of coffee. Indy and the bartender beside him (who is in his late twenties) watch the parade from the café’s window.

Bartender:
Would you look at that!

Old Indy:
(sipping his coffee) Huh? (turns his head) Oh.

They see a huge, dragon-like character high above one of the floats. It is attached to a hot-air balloon which blows fire about a hundred feet in the air.

Old Indy:
Ho-ly smokes. It gets bigger and better every year. You know…all of this macabre reminds me of the time I was in India, in 1935. After a crazy series of events, I found myself caught up with a bloodthirsty cult hell-bent on finding the Sankara stones, a kind of… “magic rocks”…

An hour or two later, Indy is finishing his story.

Old Indy:
It was pure horror. But in the end, we made it out safe, Mola Ram got what was coming to him, Willie got a singing job back in the states, and I found Shorty a nice home there too. As for me, (grins) I continued my work.

Bartender:
You did all that for rocks?!?

Old Indy:
Of course not. (half-sarcastic tone) Have you been listening to me, boy? When I first arrived in the village, they thought I was sent from the gods. When I saved all their children, I think they believed I was a god. Sometimes you get yourself in a jam, and ya gotta do what you can to get out of it. It’s a part of life.

Bartender:
(nods and thinks for a second) So it was a good memory then?

Old Indy:
More like a bad dream.

Bartender:
So do you… believe in anything now? You know, like in God or something?

Old Indy:
Ohhh, I’m convinced there’s something out there.

Indy smiles and gives the man a slight smirk. The man watches in bewildered amazement as Indy leaves a twenty dollar bill on the counter and leaves the café to rejoin his family.

doesitmatter

Fantastic videos! These should at least have been included as extras on the dvds.

I'm very impressed with your whole collection Stoo. Subscribed on youtube.

tupogirl

Adam, that is awesome, lol!

Spent the day yesterday at my dad's, and of course, Indy came up. My dad says 'There's young Indy, regular Indy and now old Indy!!' Me: 'Don't you remember the Old Indy bookends that Lucas has now gotten rid of?' Dad: 'No...'

My dad thought he was being soooooooo funny making jokes about Old Indy:p.

Adamwankenobi

tupogirl said:
Adam, that is awesome, lol!

Spent the day yesterday at my dad's, and of course, Indy came up. My dad says 'There's young Indy, regular Indy and now old Indy!!' Me: 'Don't you remember the Old Indy bookends that Lucas has now gotten rid of?' Dad: 'No...'

My dad thought he was being soooooooo funny making jokes about Old Indy:p.

I think my familiarity with Old Indy is one of the reasons Harrison Ford's age has never really concerned me in terms of his performance/appearance in KOTCS. I forget sometimes that most people are not used to the idea of Indy at any age other than his 30s.

tupogirl

Adamwankenobi said:
I think my familiarity with Old Indy is one of the reasons Harrison Ford's age has never really concerned me in terms of his performance/appearance in KOTCS. I forget sometimes that most people are not used to the idea of Indy at any age other than his 30s.

You've got it! The Theory of Mind 'issue'. He wasn't as into the show as I was either!!

Stoo

Adamwankenobi said:
Where exactly is Indy's daughter? Is she supposed to be one of the women listening to Indy in the second bookend? I thought those were supposed to be neighbors? I suppose she came outside to see what all the fuss was about or something. :confused:
She's sitting on the left side of the garden bench. Yeah, she was probably doing laundry and saw the group in the yard.
(What's funny is, all the neighbours have descriptions in the end credits. The short, balding guy is, "Couch Potato"!):D
tupogirl said:
What does the jar say? I tried pausing it, but I still can't read it. I wonder if it's important.
I don't think it's anything important. Even when using the zoom function on a large screen, it's still difficult to read.
It's looks like "PiL Lavant" or something. At first I thought it could be an urn but appears to be filled with glass stones.
Flanery10 said:
As much as I can't really get into fan fiction, I like that idea! Add Istanbul & Paris 1919 as a 2-part and couple
Prague with Palestine since these followed each other. Phantom Train & the 94-96 season could have 2 pairs each
(like Jackal, Scandal of 1920 and Travels With Father). Maybe new ones for Travels?

It's too bad that there was no "in between", segment with Ford in Mystery of the Blues.:(

Adamwankenobi

Stoo said:
She's sitting on the left side of the garden bench. Yeah, she was probably doing laundry and saw the group in the yard.

Aha! I rewatched that and noticed that she hands Indy a plate of something at the end when they walk away. She also says something to him, but I can't make it out.

I also noticed in the beginning, there's a book laying on the table in front of Indy. Is that his diary?

tupogirl

I don't think it's anything important. Even when using the zoom function on a large screen, it's still difficult to read.
It's looks like "PiL Lavant" or something. At first I thought it could be an urn but appears to be filled with glass stones.

Thanks for doing that! I thought it was an urn at first too!

I also noticed in the beginning, there's a book laying on the table in front of Indy. Is that his diary?

I saw that too!! I totally thought that it was.

Junior Jones

I've watched the "Old Indiana Jones Chronicles" on StooTV several times now, and the doctor that Old Indy tells the Schweitzer story to has always looked familiar. Up until now, I couldn't quite place him, but just last night I rewatched Mystery of the Blues and realized that he's Goldie's brother, CJ. (y)

Stoo

Holy mackarel, you're right, Junior Jones! Good eye!:whip:
Now, I'm wondering if one of the guys from the "Northern Italy" bookends is in "Blues", too.

TalonCard

Stoo said:
Holy mackarel, you're right, Junior Jones! Good eye!:whip:
Now, I'm wondering if one of the guys from the "Northern Italy" bookends is in "Blues", too.

:p This could be yet another reason why Lucas took the bookends out... ;)

TC

Adamwankenobi

Imagine if the series would have had an entire episode devoted to Old Indy's life. They could have had him meet Bill Clinton (since the series takes place in the early 90s). Old Indy could have given Clinton some tips on the saxophone. :p

tupogirl

Adamwankenobi said:
Imagine if the series would have had an entire episode devoted to Old Indy's life. They could have had him meet Bill Clinton (since the series takes place in the early 90s). Old Indy could have given Clinton some tips on the saxophone. :p

ROTFLMBO!!!! That would have been awesome. How bout when grunge got big? The Wall in Germany came down? (And when it went up, though that's a farther jump back in time.)

Adamwankenobi

tupogirl said:
ROTFLMBO!!!! That would have been awesome. How bout when grunge got big? The Wall in Germany came down? (And when it went up, though that's a farther jump back in time.)

Maybe there would be a scene where Spike walks in the door:

Old Indy: "Hi Spike! How was the concert?"

Spike: "It was cool."

Old Indy: "Now who was it you went to see? Uh... um-"

Spike: "Nirvana, grandpa."

Old Indy: "Hmm. Nirvana. That reminds me of the time I was in Benares, in 1910..."

tupogirl

Adamwankenobi said:
Maybe there would be a scene where Spike walks in the door:

Old Indy: "Hi Spike! How was the concert?"

Spike: "It was cool."

Old Indy: "Now who was it you went to see? Uh... um-"

Spike: "Nirvana, grandpa."

Old Indy: "Hmm. Nirvana. That reminds me of the time I was in Benares, in 1910..."

BWAHAHAHA!!! Oh my gosh, that would have been *so* perfect.

Or when emo was big...

Spike walks in, shoulders drooping, eye liner heavy...

Indy 'did I tell you about the time I had to wear eye liner in Barcelona? It was so depressing...'

I'm not good at dialogue at all though! LOL!!!!

I'd love to see a transition for the Gulf Wars too. He could go on and on about Ned...

Adamwankenobi

Here are my bookends for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull:

Old Indy is sitting on the couch watching The X-Files. His daughter Daphne walks into the room. She is wearing an apron and is obviously busy cooking something.

Daphne:
Dad, could you check on the kids for me? I’ll all tied up right now.

Old Indy:
Oh Daphne! You always make me miss my shows!

Indy begrudgingly gets up from the couch and mumbles something under his breath. He walks to the backdoor, opens it, and goes out into the yard. It is very dark outside. We see a shooting star in the background. About ten kids are sitting around a campfire. Indy sees a bright light emitting from the kids’ tent. He slowly moves closer to investigate.

Annie and Harry:
(pop out of tent) BOO!

Old Indy:
Hey kids! How’s your sleepover going?

Harry:
Great! We-

Annie:
We were just getting ready to tell ghost stories!

Old Indy:
Ghost stories, eh? Sounds like fun. (looks back at the house) Well… I better get back to the house!

Harry:
Why don’t you stay out here with us?

Annie:
(sarcastically) Yeah, we know how much you like to tell stories. Besides, Harry's just scared.

Harry:
AM NOT!

Old Indy:
(sighs) Guess I’ll have to catch a re-run.

Harry:
Huh?

Old Indy:
Nothing. (looks at campfire) OOOOOK, come over here and I’ll tell you a story that’ll scare your socks off!

Everyone sets down and everything is silent while Indy thinks. We hear that cheesy “werewolf” sound effect in the background.

Harry:
Well go ahead great-grandpa, tell us a story!

Old Indy:
OK, I remember now. It was 1957, and me and my friend Mac were digging in Mexico. We were kidnapped by some Russians, taken to Nevada and told to find an… (looks around and stresses word) ALIEN artifact from several years earlier…

About an hour or so later, Indy is finishing his story.

Old Indy:
The skull opened up a portal… (spreads arms) to a whole new dimension! And the Russians were all taken away! The rest of us escaped the temple and watched, as the alien ship flew away. We were overwhelmed by the spectacle, and decided to spend the night on that very mountain! After that, we returned home and I was made dean of the college! Marion and I were married, and we all lived happily ever after.

Kids (some of them are asleep by now, the rest are listening intently):
WOW!

Old Indy:
Well it’s getting late. You kids best get to bed!

As Indy walks back toward the house, he looks up at the sky.

Harry:
(looks at Annie) Do you think he really did all that?

Annie:
(shrugs)

Last edited: