Tomb Raider: The Games

Scarchaeologist

Hmm...nothing against Lara Croft but I actually prefer the Indiana Jones games. Oh the Lara games are fun, but there was something missing from them. I guess the Lara games didn't just appeal to them much. They were fun though. But I guess it was the music and the setting that I loved about the Indiana Jones games. Not to mention I grew up watching indiana Jones as a kid so that factors in too.

Randy_Flagg

I finally got around to playing the Tomb Raider reboot that came out about a year ago... fantastic game! Great atmosphere, story, controls, presentation, and just genuinely fun to play from beginning to end. I would have preferred a bit less combat at times, but at least they drastically improved the combat system over what existed in the earlier games in the franchise.

Indy86

I like them both. They're both nostalgia and they're both known for what they have to offer. Indy provides more action, Tomb Raider is more about being alone looking for treasure. I think Indiana Jones has more of a name than Tomb Raider though.

Dr.Sartorius

Indy86 said:
I like them both. They're both nostalgia and they're both known for what they have to offer. Indy provides more action, Tomb Raider is more about being alone looking for treasure. I think Indiana Jones has more of a name than Tomb Raider though.

Have you played the two recent TR games? Way more action that the Indy games.

Dr.Sartorius

Check out Rise of the Tomb Raider too. Lara explores some Crusades/early Christian era tombs that are very reminiscent of Last Crusade.

Finn

Staff member
It's pretty difficult to say Indy games are better right now, since the man in the hat has nothing to compare in the current generation. And the last one we got - the Staff of Kings - doesn't do much favors to the argument either, since it got rather limited exposure and was, well, pretty much garbage.

You'll have to go back more than a decade to have an even playing field. Christ, it's been since 2003 when we got an Indy game actually worth playing... and even then, one might argue, only barely. ET was something of a lackluster attempt, even by the standards back in the day.

Since IM had its faults too (objectively thinking, from a fan's POV I still consider it pretty memorable), I must conclude that when we last had an all-around competent Indy video gaming experience, the year was 1992(!). Back then, Lara truly was no competition... because she didn't exist yet.

Indy86

Dr.Sartorius said:
Its on PC too.
Yeah, but I'm a PS guy.

I always enjoyed the Indy games: FOA, IM, ET, Lego Indy. But maybe a more actual game than a Lego version is more than welcome.

IndyBuff

I always had trouble getting into the original Tomb Raider games, which is strange because I love third-person adventure games. I just never found the controls or level design to be intuitive. I didn't get terribly far in IM but I enjoyed what I played (I really need to dig it out and try again). ET was excellent and SoK was....underwhelming, to be kind.

The new Tomb Raider games are phenomenal. Hopefully a next-gen Indy game will see the light of day at some point. The technology is there, we just need someone actually willing to give the franchise some love again.

Raiders90

The only Lara game I truly enjoyed was the first one. That, and I believe The Last Revelation. But I remember having a lot more fun around the same period playing The Infernal Machine, and Emperor's Tomb was also a lot of fun. I can only hope that we get a new game or two (preferably with a PC port) when the new movie comes out. I sorely miss playing Indy games.

dprog

Quite Ironic that today's Lara Croft games are just Cover Shooter games with some few platforming/Puzzles, instead of Adventure-Platforming games like they were originally.(These days,the only difference between LC games compare to IJ games is this fact that they are alive in a different form than being dead)

I'm pretty Sure even if Disney allows a Developer Make an Indy game, they just force them to make it an uncharted/Tomb Raider Clone with Indy Skin.(Similar to this New Exclusive Spiderman game that is just a Batman Game with SM Skin outside it's web swinging parts.)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Apparently for the 2007 10th Anniversary edition, "developer Core Design tried to salvage the work done by using it to create Indiana Jones and National Treasure game pitches... Core's new owner, Rebellion, tried to pitch LucasArts on a new Indiana Jones game, so some work was done to reskin Tomb Raider: 10th Anniversary Edition for a demo. Unfortunately, LucasArts didn't bite."