Japanese making of Last Crusade documentary

russds

What an exciting thread, and discovery. @stoo, I'm anxiously awaiting what you've found, and any details on this incredible discovery.

Stoo

Dr. Gonzo said:
The matte painter who is interviewed, Yusei Uesugi, also worked on Oliver Stone's, "The Doors" movie. (It's been a long time since I've seen that film and am wondering what matte paintings it had.:confused:)
russds said:
I know Spielberg likes to keep a very closed door on his making of stuff, so the fact that this Japanese crew had cameras on set during the making of LC seems like kind of a big deal.
This actually isn't too surprising because, as you may already know, it is common for major celebrities to do Japanese media gigs that they would never, ever do at home. For doing very little, a whack of cash can be made far away from the North American eyes that may criticize them for "selling out".

Harrison Ford did 5 Japanese TV commercials for Kirin beer in 1994 (and was seemingly embarassed when one was shown on a talk show in 2008). Lucas has done *at least* 6 Japanese TV commercials for Panasonic, starting in c.1987 and into the '90s.

Granted, this documentary is a different animal to TV commercials but Lucas' Japanese exclusives were already happening when this was shot. Maybe it was his association that eventually led to the crew being allowed firsthand coverage? Who knows?:confused:

(Incidentally, that toy robot that Spielberg is showing is a Japanese toy from the '50s. In the West, it was called Smoking Spaceman and replicas of it are still made today. It's quite likely that Spielberg had one when he was a kid and brought it out to cater to the Japanese audience.)

Dr. Gonzo

Stoo said:
The matte painter who is interviewed, Yusei Uesugi, also worked on Oliver Stone's, "The Doors" movie. (It's been a long time since I've seen that film and am wondering what matte paintings it had.:confused:)

You got me. I don't recall anything worth a matte painting either...
hmmmm.

Anyway, when can we be expecting the cleaned up doc on Stoo TV? :D

Stoo

Title of the Show

NHK Special (NHK Supesharu)
The Pioneers of the Visual Revolution
21 May 1989

NHK is Japan's public broadcasting corporation, which is funded by donations instead of commercial advertising, exactly like PBS in the States, etc. (this is interesting because "The Making of Raiders" was shown as a PBS special back in '81).

This programme was shown 3 days before "Crusade" opened in North America (May 24th) and 2-3 weeks before it opened in Japan (June 8th).

---
Some more futzing is required but it will hopefully be uploaded within the next couple of days. (I'll be away for most of August and want to put it on YouTube before leaving.):D

Stoo

russds said:
What an exciting thread, and discovery. @stoo, I'm anxiously awaiting what you've found, and any details on this incredible discovery.
Russ, what a shame that many other Ravenheads don't have the same amount of enthusiasm as you do! A golden nugget of Indy-history has been uncovered but there are no comments about it from the usual "Last Crusade" lovin' muppets.:rolleyes:

russds

Stoo said:
Russ, what a shame that many other Ravenheads don't have the same amount of enthusiasm as you do! A golden nugget of Indy-history has been uncovered but there are no comments about it from the usual "Last Crusade" lovin' muppets.:rolleyes:

It sure is like gold..and almost like wine, seems to be even better because so much time has passed. Purely amazing....still anxiously waiting. :)

Stoo

Copyright Issues

Well, 2 nights ago, I uploaded the entire special in 4 parts of 15 minutes each and then quickly received these notices from YouTube:

---
Your video "NHK Special - The Pioneers of the Visual Revolution - Part 1", may have content that is owned or licensed by UMG. As a result, the video?s audio has been muted.

Your video "NHK Special - The Pioneers of the Visual Revolution - Part 3", may have content that is owned or licensed by NBC Universal, but it?s still available on YouTube! In some cases, it may be blocked...

---
So I deleted all 4 of them all straight away. What I'm going to do is just upload the Indiana Jones-related parts to YouTube and, hopefully, that will get around these problems.

For anyone who wants the whole thing, I'll make it available via Rapidshare or something similar.

Dr. Gonzo

Stoo said:
So I deleted all 4 of them all straight away. What I'm going to do is just upload the Indiana Jones-related parts to YouTube and, hopefully, that will get around these problems.

Keep us posted Stoo almighty.

russds

Stoo said:
Well, 2 nights ago, I uploaded the entire special in 4 parts of 15 minutes each and then quickly received these notices from YouTube:

---
Your video "NHK Special - The Pioneers of the Visual Revolution - Part 1", may have content that is owned or licensed by UMG. As a result, the video?s audio has been muted.

Your video "NHK Special - The Pioneers of the Visual Revolution - Part 3", may have content that is owned or licensed by NBC Universal, but it?s still available on YouTube! In some cases, it may be blocked...

---

For anyone who wants the whole thing, I'll make it available via Rapidshare or something similar.

Thanks Stoo, awesome job! Thanks for taking them down right away so they aren't tagged and you get a letter in the mail or something. :). Anxiously awaiting your uploads.

russds

I have a feeling we missed Stoo, and he's already gone on his trip. Oh well. Just a reminder Stoo, still anxiously awaiting what you have for us.

Stoo

Uploaded to YouTube

Hey, gang, I'm back home for a couple of days and managed to successfully upload the Indy-related segments to YouTube. The image isn't Blu-ray quality but it's still much better than the other video source that ROLLERBALL discovered.

Two parts with a total of 24 minutes (approx.):

NHK Special: The Pioneers of the Visual Revolution - Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub1eLO5MCYc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUTWEShMOFFQHzf8idVWyY4g

NHK Special: The Pioneers of the Visual Revolution - Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18HJZ16AlUM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUTWEShMOFFQHzf8idVWyY4g

HUGE thanks & hats off to Rollerball for finding this treasure in the 1st place!(y):hat:

Enjoy!:)

P.S. The full version will be available for sharing sometime in the near future...after I get back from my next trip.

micsteam

digitalfreaknyc I just bought a DVD recorder so I can finally get the stuff we talked about on to DVD, if you want I can get a copy of this Japanese making onto DVD as well. Let me know :whip:

Phlip

Thanks for these. :) Will the part that contains the Temple of Doom deleted scene be uploaded to YouTube?