General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Wilhelm

The will use a biblical/religious Mcguffin for sure after all the criticism with aliens.

Maybe Lucas had all this planned before Indy 4: we could make 2 movies, 1 with my risky idea of aliens and the other using again a biblical artifact, exactly 10 years after Indy 4, dealing with Indy's last days and release it in 2018.

Spielberg in the 2008 DVD documentary: "Is Harrison too old to play Indiana Jones? He wasn't at 55. He sure ain't at 65. And I'm sure he's got 10 years left in him if he wants to do something like this again".

If Lucas had the 7-9 Star Wars episodes outlined maybe he also wrote Indy's last adventure before selling the franchise to Disney.

Last edited:

Lao_Che

If Force Awakens is anything to go by, Indy 5 will be Raiders 2.0 or the 3-in-1 that VII was...

But Last Crusade was arguably Raiders 2.0 and Crystal Skull was a cover of the first three so Indy 5 could be the safest Indy ever?

Although if Disney/Lucasfilm were keen on Spielberg doing it, I think and hope he'd at least push against doing Nazi ratlines or whatever. I'm one of those monsters who likes Crystal Skull and the Star Wars prequels but didn't care for Episode VII so I'd rather avoid a Raiders redux. However, VII would suggest that that's what the audience at large would be perfectly happy with.

Wilhelm said:
If Lucas had the 7-9 Star Wars episodes outlined maybe he also wrote Indy's last adventure before selling the franchise to Disney.

They ditched Lucas' Star Wars sequel ideas anyway (which were to help sell Lucasfilm).

The Reaper

Duaner said:
A spy thriller type would not fit Indiana Jones.

Have you not seen the first four films?

There are tons of cross-over elements of a spy film within these movies. Lucas and Spielberg have said numerous times they based the whole frigging thing on James Bond. Like Bond, Indy travels around the world on a mission, hooks up with one of his allies in an exotic location, meets a girl (Indy girl, Bond girl, same thing), clashes with a bad guy Indy/Bond is either trying to disrupt or each side wants the same thing.

Whether it's a secret spy/decoding machine or a lost artifact, it's basically all the same plot. Indy or Bond, it's so similar, I don't understand how you couldn't see that.

Wilhelm

In fact the climax of Raiders involved the destruction of the villain's lair like in the James Bond films. The originality was using the power of God and not a normal explosion.

In "Star Wars" there're also a lot of references. The climax of "Diamonds are forever" with the helicopter attack on the oil rig is similar to the rebel attack on the Death Star for example.

Last edited:

Udvarnoky

Walecs said:
I seriously hope Disney is not going to make a half-remake of Raiders nor will include tons of homages in Indy 5. I hated SW7. I'd rather have another KOTSC than a safe movie.

We're at huge risk for a safe movie, I'm afraid.

Z dweller

A safe movie is not necessarily a bad thing.

Let's face it, Indy's adventures have always been highly formulaic, as well as completely derivative. That's what Lucas set up to do in the first place.

So what? We still love them.

Like Bond movies, they all follow the same predictable storyline. The only differences between the various adventures are the artifact, the antagonist(s), the lndy girl and the set pieces.

If Disney can get a solid script and stick with the formula, without exactly lifting any of the aforementioned elements from the first four movies, they can still deliver a good Indy 5.

Of course, if they went the full TFA route and gave us, say, another boulder, just bigger, then we'd have every reason to be disappointed, but I very much doubt it.
In TFA they kind of got away with it because the new characters undoubtedly injected an element of novelty, despite the all too obvius references - but that wouldn't work with Indy which isn't an ensemble piece, and they know it only too well.

Duaner

The Reaper said:
Have you not seen the first four films?

That's a stupid question to ask anyone on these message boards.

The Reaper said:
Lucas and Spielberg have said numerous times they based the whole frigging thing on James Bond.

That is an incredibly wrong statement. The "whole frigging thing" is based on the old cliffhanger serials - not James Bond movies. Sure I realize there may be some inspiration from James Bond that both filmmakers have acknowledged, just as there is inspiration from Casablanca, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Stagecoach, Gunga Din, Hitchcock films, etc.

The Reaper said:
Indy or Bond, it's so similar, I don't understand how you couldn't see that.

The fact that both series contain adventure, women, villains, and exotic locales do not make them one in the same. The feel of watching Indiana Jones is different from the feel of watching James Bond. I love both characters, but your insinuation is that the two characters are interchangeable. They are not.

Duaner

Wilhelm said:
In "Star Wars" there're also a lot of references. The climax of "Diamonds are forever" with the helicopter attack on the oil rig is similar to the rebel attack on the Death Star for example.

Are you saying that Diamonds Are Forever inspired the attack on the Death Star???? If so, think again.

The Death Star attack was directly inspired by The Dam Busters and 633 Squadron.

Wilhelm

Yes, but Lucas also took elements from other movies. In "Diamonds" you have the good guys attacking the secret base with helicopters and at the same time the bad guys are going to destroy Washington with a ten-minute countdown. Similar situation in "Star Wars" with the rebel attack with X-Wings and the countdown to destroy Yavin.

By the way in "Diamonds" there's also a scene with Bond emerging from a sewer pipe that reminds me of the scene in "Last crusade" with Indy and Elsa climbing out of the Venice sewer.

Last edited:

foreignerfred

curmudgeon said:
https://twitter.com/LeDoctor/status/709180513341153280

If this one doesn't amount to something Indy (or Tintin) related, I'm going to be super bummed.

Which is to say I'm probably going to be super bummed. But fair warning and all that...

Well, you've got me waiting now too, Curmudgeon. It's probably Bourne related, but an Indy fan can hope.

It would be good timing for an announcement. The Force Awakens comes out on DVD/BluRay April 5th, so an Indy 5 announcement would worm its way into any press surrounding the release as "In other Lucasfilm news..."

This IS the sequel we're looking for.

foreignerfred

Pale Horse said:
Has a Frank Marshall Tweet ever resulted in something significant?

Do your research.

A single drop of water has never quenched the person dying of thirst, but mouths still continue to gape.

Yes, it's fan hope.

curmudgeon

Pale Horse said:
Has a Frank Marshall Tweet ever resulted in something significant?

Do your research.

Actually, maybe.

Not just this time, which actually turned out to be absolutely on the effing money, but a couple years back before, he was teasing some exciting news. https://twitter.com/LeDoctor/status/384824531358990337

And several times he had other news in the close time after that, he made a point to reply to fans that wasn't the big announcement he was talking about. https://twitter.com/LeDoctor/status/385418914336751618

And then about 2 months after that last reply, when the Indy rights situation got settled between Paramount and Disney, he posted "Long time coming, but here's the BIG NEWS." https://twitter.com/LeDoctor/status/409094696254730240

It could be interpreted that those earlier comments were both in reference to that agreement, which from his perspective could have been unexpectedly delayed.

(And yes, I've been sitting on this information since it happened. It is literally the only reason I've ever considered it relevant to share his teases here.)

Pale Horse

Staff member
curmudgeon said:
Actually, maybe.

Not just this time, which actually turned out to be absolutely on the effing money, but a couple years back before, he was teasing some exciting news. https://twitter.com/LeDoctor/status/384824531358990337

And several times he had other news in the close time after that, he made a point to reply to fans that wasn't the big announcement he was talking about. https://twitter.com/LeDoctor/status/385418914336751618

And then about 2 months after that last reply, when the Indy rights situation got settled between Paramount and Disney, he posted "Long time coming, but here's the BIG NEWS." https://twitter.com/LeDoctor/status/409094696254730240

It could be interpreted that those earlier comments were both in reference to that agreement, which from his perspective could have been unexpectedly delayed.

(And yes, I've been sitting on this information since it happened. It is literally the only reason I've ever considered it relevant to share his teases here.)

1/2 the time. Seems like it's significant about 1/2 the time, which is the nature of Twitter. (Un)Thankfully for most of us here, his teaser turned out to be a positive turn for those that feel we need another Indy film with Harrison and Spielberg.