Misconceptions you had when you first watched the movies

deckard24

ValenciaGrail said:
I thought Darth Vader was Darth Fader....and that Luke wanted to be one of those "Jet Eye" Knights
Oops, wrong film...:D

I went into Raiders in the theaters thinking it would be about Noah's Ark.

For the longest time, I thought the line "Adios Satipo" was "Adios Stupido" until I looked at the DVD subtitles.

I also thought the pilot's name was "Jacque", until discovering it was "Jock"....again via subtitles.
Darth Fader and the Jet Eyes!!! LMAO!:hat:

I had the same experience with the Adios Satipo line and Jock! Also as was mentioned earlier, I too was confused when I first saw Fedora in LC and thought it was Indy!

MaxPhactor23, I could see that! Toht does kind of have Asian features.

Katarn07

When I was 4 or 5, I thought the guy who has his heart ripped out and is lowered into the lava was from Hawaii. This was because of the leis around his neck. I also remember having trouble remembering RotLA's title so I just called it "the spider movie" due to the opening with Satipo and Indy being covered in tarantulas. I had no trouble remember ToD's or LC's titles because they're not such a mouthful. I wonder what I'd call KotCS as a 4 year old. "The fridge movie?" :p

Lastly, I got in trouble in school for drawing a swastika in 1st grade. I didn't know what it meant. I told them that it was a scene from Indiana Jones! lol

Zealot

ValenciaGrail said:
For the longest time, I thought the line "Adios Satipo" was "Adios Stupido" until I looked at the DVD subtitles.

What?!? So Indy doesn't say Stupido?! But why? It made so much sense and it always, always made me laugh. :(

Kooshmeister

While these aren't misconceptions I had when I first saw Raiders, they are ones I've had over the years and subsequently been set straight about. I thought that:

1. In the credits, "1st Mechanic" was referring to the guy with the wrench.

2. "Tough Sergeant" was Pat Roach's character. Despite knowing other actors' names and faces (see below), I had not yet seen Roach in enough roles to recognize him, so it make sense that a guy named "Tough Sergeant" had to be the huge guy who fought Indy. (And with regards to the actual Sergeant, he was, at the time, just another random soldier to me.)

And I guess I didn't check the credits thoroughly enough because despite knowing William Hootkins by name even then, I thought that:

3. Eaton was Musgrove and Musgrove was Eaton. C'mon, it's an honest mistake. The way Hootkins keeps interrupting the other guy made me think he was the colonel and the other guy the major; plus, he just looked like a "Musgrove."

I subsequently read the script online years later and was set straight about these things, however, thanks to the script, I thought that:

4. "Shliemann" was Dietrich's name, and Sallah calling him "Dietrich" was a blooper (!).

5. "Belzig" was Toht's name.

So imagine my confusion when I checked the credits again and found no mention of Belzig or Shliemann, but saw "Dietrich," just as Sallah had said, and also the name "Toht." I made some attempt to reconcile this in my mind by saying their full names were "Belzig Toht" and "Dietrich Shliemann."

Oh, how silly I used to be....

Last edited:

Michael24

Can't think of too many misconceptions I had, but one from Raiders does come to mind. I didn't understand the bit about the dates being poisoned when I was little, and when they show the monkey lying on the floor, with the camera above the ceiling fan, I thought the monkey had died after falling from the fan. LOL!!!

Zealot said:
What?!? So Indy doesn't say Stupido?! But why? It made so much sense and it always, always made me laugh. :(
I think Harrison Ford just mispronounced the name as "Sapito" and the way he says it makes it sound like "Stupido." Kinda like how he mispronounces "Ord Mantell" as "Ord Mandell" in The Empire Strikes Back.

James

Katarn07 said:
When I was 4 or 5, I thought the guy who has his heart ripped out and is lowered into the lava was from Hawaii. This was because of the leis around his neck.

LOL...that's my favorite one so far. :D

After Indy is rescued by Sallah's kids, I used to think Sallah told him, "Life goes on, Indy. There is the crook." I thought Sallah was referring to the Monkey Man, since the film then cuts to him.

Last edited:

mutt willams

James said:
LOL...that's my favorite one so far. :D

After Indy is rescued by Sallah's kids, I used to think Sallah told him, "Life goes on, Indy. There is the crook." I thought Sallah was referring to the Monkey man, since the film then cuts to him.

thats pretty funny! LOL!:D

Kooshmeister

"Life goes on, Indy. There is the crook."
"Where?"
"The one-eyed gentleman on the motorcycle."
"That's stereotyping, Sallah, shame on you. Just because he's got an eyepatch and he's riding a motorcycle doesn't make him a hired killer."

James

Ha...Sallah resorting to racial profiling. :)

I just always wondered why Indy didn't go get the "crook". So it basically came across as:

"There is the crook...but there's nothing we can do about it now. Let's go see this guy I know."

agent_dork

MolaRam2 said:
Well, the one many people will probably have in common is not realizing ToD is a prequel.

didn't know that and i didn't see it at teh start of the movie i watch it on dvd seeing we don't have vcr.

AnImaginaryBoy

blueoakleyz said:
Until recently I always thought Indy's school was in england

You know I thought that too! Also for some reason I thought the Indy films were set in the present day. I was quite shocked when I realised they were all set in the thirties!

Sam Falco

As with most kids, I didnt realize Doom happened before Raiders, because honestly, there's no reason to think it did. Really the only order you HAVE to watch them in is make sure you watch KOTCS last, haha.

I always wondered why Indy never fought the "zombies" in the tomb that were attacking Marion :rolleyes: I was a foolish child.

I questioned why Indy's hat disappeared at the end of Raiders and was a bit bummed out by it.

I never caught the petroleum line in LC, so as a young child, I thought for a brief time that water was flamable.

Before such concepts occured to me (aka, when I was like 4), I thought the scene in LC with Elsa and Indy making out in his room was them fighting, because she bites him.

Michael24

Sam Falco said:
I never caught the petroleum line in LC, so as a young child, I thought for a brief time that water was flamable.
On a related note, when I was little I never understood what Indy was saying when he says "I should sink a well down here and retire." I thought he was saying "I should think I'm well down here and retire." I remember thinking, "Why would he want to retire to a bunch of dark tunnels?" LMAO!!!

Sam Falco said:
Before such concepts occured to me (aka, when I was like 4), I thought the scene in LC with Elsa and Indy making out in his room was them fighting, because she bites him.
Haha!! If that's fighting, I need to pick more fights! :D

sunshinestate1992

Kooshmeister said:
"Life goes on, Indy. There is the crook."
"Where?"
"The one-eyed gentleman on the motorcycle."
"That's stereotyping, Sallah, shame on you. Just because he's got an eyepatch and he's riding a motorcycle doesn't make him a hired killer."
Have you seen the new get smart film yet ?

Abners lil Girl

I spent quite a while thinking that the caption stating '1938' in LC actually meant 1983 when I was born. I was a pretty dumb kid and found that really exciting :p