Japanese making of Last Crusade documentary

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome find, Rollerball!
Deleted scenes: kids crossing burning board in Temple of Doom at 30:00, Last Crusade camel spit at 54:00.

would be great to have this in better quality. It always amazes me how this footage has to be hunted down. I thought there would have been a definitive making of with the blu ray.
There is a lot of footage from indy 3 out there but not in the same place.

Stoo

Wow!

I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E!
Thank you for finding this, ROLLERBALL! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!(y)(y)(y)

This is a treasure trove of rare stuff, from the motorbike chase to the gimbal-mounted biplane. The bit with Spielberg at the canteen truck is a hoot and it's cool to see more of the camel spit, too.

In addition to the kids crossing the lava is another deleted part on Ben Burtt's editing screen! Indy picks up a piece of lumber to fight the Thug Guard but seemingly realizes that the wood won't do the big guy much harm so he turns away and drops it, looking for something else. (This was obviously intended as a comedy moment immediately before Indy picks up the hammer.)

Can't wait to try fixing the angle & colour of these deleted "Doom" scenes so that they look at bit better.

(An extra bonus for me was behind-the-scenes footage from the 1936 version of, "The Charge of the Light Brigade"!:D)

Once again:
Thank you for finding this, ROLLERBALL! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!(y)(y)(y)

Dr. Gonzo

Wow that was really great. I've never seen those bits the Japanese crew filmed on the set in Marin for the motorcycle chase. Loved seeing Spielberg doing his thing. A set's mood and demeanor is always set by the director, and Spielberg's seems like a fun yet focused one.

Nice. (y)

russds

Wow, Amazing, thank you!!!!! Someone may want to download this, incase it mysteriously disappears - I can but not till work tomorrow. Such a great find, and yes, it's amazing how much footage must be out there in little virtually unknown TV specials and what not. Amazing find of the burning bridge - I never thought I would get to see more complete footage of that, and Indy evaluating the wood log against the big thuggee, also always a treat to see the Master Spielberg directing on set. Just. Utterly. Fantastic!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Made a slight title change.

The bit with the wood is page 105/106 in the Temple of Doom script, followed by Indy's first voodoo stick spasm.

russds

Just watching this whole thing through, I realized it seems this was a Japanese crew on set filming behind the scenes stuff, and interviews. At certain points during directing Spielberg addresses the camera in Japanese. It reminded me of the Temple of Doom soundtrack, that for a long, long time was only available from Japan, as a Japanese import, which I always thought was odd. I know Spielberg likes to keep a very closed door on his making of stuff, so the fact that this Japanese crew had cameras on set during the making of LC seems like kind of a big deal.

I thought I remembered some rumor that the reason the ToD was only available on Japanese import was because the Indiana Jones character was owned by a Japanese company (Yes, I know this sounds very much like "I remember a falling egg in ToD) so it could very well be just another one of those rumor myths with no proof. Just wondering if anyone else heard this? or maybe it was just my imagination spurred by the ToD soundtrack.

micsteam

Sorry guys maybe I'm an idiot but how do I get the whole thing so I see the TOD stuff and everything, I only have the 5 minute preview.

Hanselation

@ ROLLERBALL

Thanks!!!! Great find. Very impressive new material. This "new" stuff gave me a feeling beeing back in 1989! (y)

I felt the same too. Takes you right back to 1989. What amazed me at the time was that there was very little behind the scenes of Indy 3 when it first came out.

Stoo

Good News: Better Copy - Coming Soon!

ROLLERBALL said:
Happy to find and share it stoo.
I am a big fan of Indy 3 and would love to see this footage cleaned up
I will be getting a better quality recording of this documentary and will be sharing it. :D :D :D

Stoo

NEW COPY!(y) The image quality is much better. However, it's missing audio in one place and video in another so I'll be combining the two sources to make the best complete version (until something better comes along).

Missing video: Luckily, it isn't any of the Indiana Jones footage.
Missing audio: The 2 sources aren't synchronized so I need to futz around to make a match.

For those of you who don't know how (micsteam) or are too lazy (Phlip) to watch the full thing via Rollerball's link, sit tight. A superior version will be available soon.;)

I also have information about the show, which would make a great addition to the Last Crusade TV Specials page of TheRaider.net, but will post that stuff later.

ROLLERBALL, I cannot thank you enough for finding this RARITY!:hat: In my opinion, your discovery is the most exciting thing to have happened at The Raven in quite a long time!(y):whip:

Dr. Gonzo

Stoo said:
ROLLERBALL, I cannot thank you enough for finding this RARITY!:hat: In my opinion, your discovery is the most exciting thing to have happened at The Raven in quite a long time!(y):whip:
tumblr_meah09T6fd1rtc12g.gif

Stoo

Gonzo, you might want to double that silly .GIF because (believe it or not) there is an element of this documentary that connects with...The Doors!:D