Desktop Adventures

DIrishB

Indiana Jones and His Desktop Adventures

Indiana Jones and His Desktop Adventures

Desktop game from the mid-90's (on a 3.5" disk) for PC and Mac. I spent a good amount of time playing this as a kid not long after it was released. Part of the appeal was that each time you play, it randomly generated the map and enemies, so it mixed things up and you never could expect where everything would be. Not terribly difficult, but it could take 15 min to an hour to complete each game depending on how familiar you are with it.

One of the things I love about this game is that Marcus Brody appears in it! Its nothing major, but Brody deserves a spot in most Indy stories (even if its just a minor role, or even very minor), and was glad to see him finally show up in a video game.

Now I know at least some of you have played this one.

Rob Dangerous

A nice idea and a cute little game, but it would have been so much better if the sprites were not fixed to a grid i.e. moved freely like in other Action-Adventures (ala Zelda).

DIrishB

Rob Dangerous said:
A nice idea and a cute little game, but it would have been so much better if the sprites were not fixed to a grid i.e. moved freely like in other Action-Adventures (ala Zelda).

Agreed. Would've helped make it much less predictable, in the least. Still, I've played this game quite a bit. I definitly got my money's worth.

Goonie

I recently got a copy of this game. It's a good little game if you get sick of playing Solitaire.

I also played the Star Wars counterpart Yoda Stories.

DIrishB

Goonie said:
I recently got a copy of this game. It's a good little game if you get sick of playing Solitaire.

I also played the Star Wars counterpart Yoda Stories.

Actually, thats a perfect review:

"A great Indy game if you're sick of Solitaire"

;)

It is a fun little gem, though.

And as I said, the man, Marcus Brody appears in it, so its even better just because of that.

AnnieJones

Indiana Jones and his Desktop Adventures

Has anyone else played Indiana Jones and his Desktop Adventures? If so,what did you think of it?

DIrishB

AnnieJones said:
Has anyone else played Indiana Jones and his Desktop Adventures? If so,what did you think of it?

I have (I own it). Its a decent little Indy game, good for a quick 30 or 45 minute game. While the map is completely randomized everytime you play it, it does get repetitive on repeat play-throughs (its all the same, just in different spots).

Still, definitely worth checking out if you're an Indy fan.

(By the way, this should be in the Video Game section).

James

There was also a Star Wars-themed one called Yoda Stories. Both were fun little time killers, but they did eventually get repetitive. I haven't played them since they first appeared, and should probably dig out my old copies.

AnnieJones

I have the game,but every time I play it I can't find the map,the gun,the paddle for the boat,and I can't find the material to make a bridge.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Reposting these... how Crystal Skull should have ended!

000243fe

000253k3

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
OhioJones said:
Oh no! So Indy is stuck in space forever?
No. Here's Indy's conversation with Luke...

Alien: "Welcome to Planet Xantar! There's someone here I'd like you to meet... he's kind of lonely and depressed..."
Indy: "Listen, Bug-Eyes, you told me I'd find priceless artifacts here, and instead I'm slogging through an endless swamp!"
Alien: "...he's also somewhat cynical. I thought your youthful enthusiasm might be just the tonic to cheer him up!"
Indy: "I'm Indiana Jones. Who are you, some kind of test pilot?"
Luke: "Umm... I'm not sure how to help this guy. He obviously comes from a primitive world. Better take him home."
Alien: "Perhaps you're right. I may have made a mistake."
Indy: "Thanks, kid."
Luke: "Sure. By the way, did anyone ever tell you that you look a lot like my friend, Han Solo...?"

RedWhirlwind

I can't get Desktop Adventures working on my PC.

It says something about how it won't run on my version of Windows, yet I see more than one video of it on YouTube. I'm using Vista. How do I get it working??

Falcon

I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I installed Windows XP Mode in order to play Desktop Adventures, and it works like a charm.

Indyfan82

It's kinda crazy to think that "Indiana Jones and his Desktop Adventures" is now 18 years old! I still love playing both this video game and the "Star Wars: Yoda Stories" one- and those crossover screens from the games are great! Love that!:) :cool: :whip:

Any Indy Desktop Adventures fans here?

This thread must probably have been done before as there are not that many Indiana Jones games to discuss but I hope the moderators won't mind that I open a new thread for it.
Otherwise just merge it with an existing Indy DA thread.

I have recently been playing Lucasarts desktop toys again or whatever they were called after I discovered a pre installed version of Win 3.11 on Desktop with Indy DA pre installed (I own the game legal but I can not run it in Windows 7), running Yoda Stories when I want to switch settings.

Back when they were first released I had a lot of fun with these little games and even today I still find them very addictive from time to time (there currently are not any major games I want to play).
There is also something I really like about the simple art of these games.

Are there any other posters here who also like these games?

My favorite mission is the one in which the player needs to deal with the Nacom (war leader), while my favorite Yoda Stories mission is the one with the Death Star like station.

I find it really a shame there never was an editor for these games for us to make our own missions and puzzles with, expansions, sequels, or new entries in the series. (I would have liked to have seen an Original Star Trek series entry)

Finn

Staff member
TheDutchGhost said:
This thread must probably have been done before as there are not that many Indiana Jones games to discuss but I hope the moderators won't mind that I open a new thread for it.
They do. Please use the search before posting.

Indyfan82

Hey! Nice to see discussion about "Indiana Jones and his Desktop Adventures" again.:) :whip:
As you can see in my previous post, I'm still a big fan of this game, as well as the "Yoda Stories" video game. Wow- I haven't played either one in forever, but I do still have them- of course, while I might be able to run the CD for the Star Wars game, I don't have any way to run the 3 1/2 " floppy disk for the Indy game.:D
(Though I have looked into getting an external floppy disk drive just for fun to experiment with some old games I still have on disk... The local library had one I could use that hooks into a USB port and thus I was able to transfer some long forgotten files on old floppy disks a few years back- that was a fun trip.)

I like the idea about an editor for the games- that would have been really fun to create new worlds and storylines for both the Indy and Star Wars games.:)

Indyfan82 said:
I like the idea about an editor for the games- that would have been really fun to create new worlds and storylines for both the Indy and Star Wars games.:)

Apparently there was one according to a fan site, at least one for the Indy Desktop game.

I would have loved to have made a story in which Indy has to fight a physical incarnation of Kulkulkan summoned by that Nazi general. (the fight would play out like that fight in the rancor pit in Yoda Stories, the big snake exploding into little snakes at some point)

Or a mission in which Indy has to infiltrate a German submarine base (I know the German Navy did not have submarine bases in Central America, just some artistic freedom on my side)

So many improvements I would have liked to have brought over from Yoda Stories such as various weapons in each story (Lugers, German Machine guns, Bow-and-arrows, and Spears would have limited use like the Blasters and Blaster Rifles in Yoda Stories, and there would now also be grenades)
And perhaps some more supernatural entities ;)

heh I would not have minded to see or create a Desktop Adventures 2 with similar graphics to the first game (or cartoony ones), but perhaps loosing the grid movement gameplay.
And perhaps Indy would operate out of Barnett College, from there going to Central/South America, North Africa/South Africa, Europe, and Asia.

And the same of course for Yoda Stories, adding volcano planets, ocean planets, city planets/floating cities, the death star

Or that Star Trek Desktop Journeys idea, the player assuming the role of a pint sized James T. Kirk, interacting with Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Uhura, Sulu, and Spock, and meeting other familiar faces like Kor, Koloth, Harry Mudd, Trelane, Andorians, Gorn, Klingons, Orions, Romulans, Tellarites, Tholians, and androids, and Nomad units.

Perhaps even a little mini game in which you get to fly the Enterprise and have to fight various starships such as Klingon D7s, Romulan Warbirds, and even the Doomsday Machine.

Darn, I am completely nostalgic again for games that only make up a couple of MBs.
I have seen so many magazines and game review websites put these games down for not being full installments in their respective series, and yet so many gamers look so fondly back at them.
I really wish Lucasarts had continued the Desktop game series as they had a lot of potential.

Frustrating that one can not send PM's on this forum as I would have liked to have send you the link to that file I mentioned in my own post (Windows 3.11 on Dosbox, pre configured with Indy Desktop)
I rather don't do something I might get in trouble with with the moderators like posting the link here directly (even though the game is abandonware and you own it legally)

Indyfan82

Apparently there was one according to a fan site, at least one for the Indy Desktop game.
Do you have a link for this? I would be interested in checking that out.:)

Frustrating that one can not send PM's on this forum as I would have liked to have send you the link to that file I mentioned in my own post (Windows 3.11 on Dosbox, pre configured with Indy Desktop)
I rather don't do something I might get in trouble with with the moderators like posting the link here directly (even though the game is abandonware and you own it legally)
I appreciate the thought. Yeah, I bought both games when they originally released in the mid-90s and I still have the games and boxes and all. When I get a chance, I'll have to pull them out and see if I can run them again. I'm pretty sure I was able to pull over the Indy Desktop files from my disk to have on CD a while back, so I could run the game.