Indy 5 news 2017

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Excerpts from the Noah Falstein AMA. A Fate of Atlantis movie?
Can be - sure! Will be - very unlikely. Steven Spielberg enjoyed it - he is a hard-core game player, I have a lot of stories of seeing how dedicated to games he is - but he has plenty of ideas of his own about Indiana Jones, as does George. I got to brainstorm with the two of them together when I was the first project leader on The Dig, and really respect their depth of knowledge and their creativity, so I don't think it will be chosen as a movie plot, unless at some future point there is perhaps an animated series like George has done with Star Wars, giving them the option to explore many different stories.
We had lots of ideas - had narrowed it down to the one we chose, and one about a quest to find Excalibur, but rejected that one because it wouldn't have easily given Jones a reason to go anywhere but England, while Atlantis gave us a lot more interesting options.

seasider

I can see the Atlantis idea working if it revolved around an artifact or secret map that unlocked the secrets of the whereabouts of Atlantis and Indy had to find it to prevent it from falling into the wrong hands and also to satisfy his own curiosity.

Raiders90

This is why Indy V will end up cancelled:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 currently sits atop the worldwide box office, Disney and Marvel?s sequel having already grossed over $500 million.

However, the latest box-office predictions state the first weekend of May through to early September takings will be down five to 10 percent on last year.

According to the Los Angeles Times, that?s a total loss of $450 million as the overall Summer gross in the US is expected to fall from $4.45 billion to $4 billion, the worst in a decade.

While seemingly a relatively small percentage, for the entire cinema industry it could be quite disastrous. The publication states how many executives are worried there are just too many sequels and franchises overflowing the market.

?Some of the tent poles are just not as strong this year,? 20th Century Fox head of domestic distribution Chris Aronson says. ?Pirates of the Caribbean? It's the fifth one. Transformers? It?s the fifth one.?

Fox has just released their sixth instalment in the Alien franchise ? Alien: Covenant ? and are releasing the third in the rebooted Planet of the Apes series, War for the Planet of the Apes.

Whereas sequels were once guaranteed hits, thanks to more savvy cinema-goers ? in part, thanks to social media ? they have begun flopping. For instance, last year saw Star Trek: Beyond, X-Men: Apocalypse, Independence Day: Resurgence, and Alice in Wonderland all underperformed.

?Man, this is depressing,? one insider told LA Times. ?It is just entirely sequels and franchises, and something?s got to give.?

This summer?s flagship non-sequel films include King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, Baywatch, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets and The Dark Tower ? the former has received relatively negative reviews already while the other three have failed to excite major numbers.

The only original blockbuster to be gathering much word-of-mouth buzz is Christopher Nolan?s Dunkirk, starring Tom Hardy, Harry Styles, and Kenneth Branagh.

Box-office analyst Jeff Bock also spoke about the rise in streaming quality TV shows, thanks to the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prim and Hulu in the US.

It?s not all bad news though. Hopefully, with blockbusters not being so dominant, the likes of Edgar Wright?s Baby Driver, the Charlize Theron-starring Atomic Blonde, and A24?s It Comes at Night will make big sums this summer.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...od-summer-box-office-prediction-a7732976.html

Studios want money, and sequels are increasingly not where it's at. Indy V with geriatric Ford? I guarantee you by this time next year the project will be either scrapped entirely or an announcement of sorts concerning Ford's lack of involvement will be released.

Last edited by a moderator:

Face_Melt

Studios want money, and sequels are increasingly not where it's at. Indy V with geriatric Ford? I guarantee you by this time next year the project will be either scrapped entirely or an announcement of sorts concerning Ford's lack of involvement will be released.

The Force Awakens made over 2 billion, and a lot of that was attributed to Harrison Ford (the biggest movie star of all time) returning to play Han Solo (the most popular Star Wars character of all time). Star Wars sequels will continue to make money, but none will come close to The Force Awakens without Ford.

That, plus the fact that Indiana Jones is now regarded as the greatest FILM character of all time (according to polls) and you have a recipe for a high blockbuster film with Indy 5 starring Ford under the new Disney umbrella.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olliana

Nah, Indy 5 is still happening. They could have cancelled it right away, but they didn't. Let's just wait and see.

JasonMa

Face_Palm said:
The Force Awakens made over 2 billion, and a lot of that was attributed to Harrison Ford (the biggest movie star of all time) returning to play Han Solo (the most popular Star Wars character of all time). Star Wars sequels will continue to make money, but none will come close to The Force Awakens without Ford.

That, plus the fact that Indiana Jones is now regarded as the greatest FILM character of all time (according to polls) and you have a recipe for a high blockbuster film with Indy 5 starring Ford under the new Disney umbrella.
No offense, but this sounds like something you want to be true. Do you have sources to back up the fact that the success of Star Wars returning to the theater with all the major characters (sorry Lando) was due to just one of them?

Face_Melt

JasonMa said:
No offense, but this sounds like something you want to be true. Do you have sources to back up the fact that the success of Star Wars returning to the theater with all the major characters (sorry Lando) was due to just one of them?

Who was featured front and center? The "Chewie, We're home" trailer was huge for the marketing team. Han Solo was the heart and soul of that film.

JasonMa

Face_Palm said:
Who was featured front and center? The "Chewie, We're home" trailer was huge for the marketing team. Han Solo was the heart and soul of that film.
None of which actually shows that Ford's presence is what carried the film as opposed to Fisher, Hamil, Star Wars back in the theater in general, the return to practical effects over the awful CGI of the prequels, actual decent writing and editing, etc.

If Last Jedi is as well made but gets significantly less revenue you might have a point. If the numbers are fairly similar though then it would seem Ford's presence wasn't the reason.

Pale Horse

Staff member
JasonMa said:
(sorry Lando)

z5JVBch.jpg

Last edited:

IndyBuff

Ford was definitely a big factor in the hype for Episode VII but I don't think he was the only reason so many people were into it. The return to a more realistic and exciting style definitely helped, along with a completely new storyline that we have no idea how it will end. I think it was less about one actor or element but rather the combination of many popular aspects that propelled it.

Raiders90

IndyBuff said:
Ford was definitely a big factor in the hype for Episode VII but I don't think he was the only reason so many people were into it. The return to a more realistic and exciting style definitely helped, along with a completely new storyline that we have no idea how it will end. I think it was less about one actor or element but rather the combination of many popular aspects that propelled it.

Personally, I think it was just nostalgia and the lack of Lucas.
Let's say you take Ford, Fisher and Hamill out of the picture.
You're left with three leads no one cares about, with no Lucas.
I sincerely doubt that without Han, Luke, Leia, R2 and Chewie being in it, it would have done anywhere near as well as it did. It would've made a few hundred million, maybe even a billion, but it wouldn't have become one of the highest grossing films of all time without ALL of the original cast sans Lando being in it to some degree. They were just cheap nostalgia fodder and it paid off handsomely. Which is a shame, because I view it as poor, high budget fan fiction. I liked the original A New Hope a lot better than the remake, I'll put it that way.

Willie Hott

davidgribouille said:
I personnaly think that if Harrison Ford had the lead cast, he should really assume his age. He could be an awesome Indy with the beard he wore last year. An Indy closer to the character of Johnny Depp in the The Ninth Gate (though Johnny was as young as Harrison in Indy 1), I mean maybe he doesn't have to run, jump or drive a plane (well for this last point he almost can do it…)
I totally agree on having Ford really assume his age.. What I'm hoping for is the Godfather Part II format. We see Vito becoming a mobster in old Italy, and we flash forward to his son Michael being a don in the US, and back and forth.

It would be outstanding to see the older Indy going through his new adventure, and simultaneously flashing back to an adventure he had as a budding archeologist. Both roles of course, played by Harrison. One CGI, one not.

About Anthony Ingruber, let's forget him, let him start his own carreer. I think this comparaison with Harrison Ford could really be a heavy weight by the time. And personnaly, I don't think that he's so amazing in Adaline… He's just OK for a few minutes of a memory.
Agree to disagree.

TheLostCrusader

I agree completely, Anthony Ingruber could pull this off. I think if maybe they used him in flashbacks in the next movie, setting him up with Harrison maybe remembering how he split with Abner Ravenwood, by the end of the film people would be more accepting of the possibility of someone else (hopefully Anthony) doing more films as Indy.

Hanselation

Boring Silence

Boring times these days ...just speculation and no real news about the Indy 5. I hope they will come up with the message they have a script latest after the premiere of Blade Runner 2049.

Udvarnoky

I don't expect any info until the end of the year. Spielberg will presumably have his head down working on The Post until he delivers it for its limited initial release in December. Unless Koepp or Frank Marshall gets cornered for an update before then, we're probably going to have to wait until the press tour for The Post.

The big question that hopefully an interviewer can leech out the answer to is whether they will proceed with filming next summer despite the pushed release date.

TheFedora

Udvarnoky said:
I don't expect any info until the end of the year. Spielberg will presumably have his head down working on The Post until he delivers it for its limited initial release in December. Unless Koepp or Frank Marshall gets cornered for an update before then, we're probably going to have to wait until the press tour for The Post.

The big question that hopefully an interviewer can leech out the answer to is whether they will proceed with filming next summer despite the pushed release date.

Same, with the film being pushed back another year, its going to be equally as long until we get news most likely. End of year we may get more details, but I do not think we we figure out things such as title until two years or even one year before the release. (probably longer because the title usually reveals the artifact/mission)

curmudgeon

We *might* get a new comment or two about it at D23 Expo, during the live-action films panel on July 15th. But probably nothing too revealing.

Udvarnoky

All we can really hope to find out for quite a while is screenplay status and the start date they're shooting for.