References to other films/TV shows in YI.

I'd always wondered how they managed to afford such a huge setpiece battle that in the end, plotwise, leads nowhere. They really integrated it very well.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Much of the episodes in the trenches, particularly Verdun 1916 (Part 1 of Demons of Deception) are pretty clearly influenced by Kubrick's Paths of Glory in the contrast between the horror of the trenches and the opulence of the French command. It sounds like Le Havre, June 1916, with the trial, would have taken a page from this film as well.

The two episodes that are now Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life seem to be what happens when you take The African Queen and Heart of Darkness and put them together with a good man at the end of the journey instead of Kurtz.

Stoo

Attila the Professor said:
Much of the episodes in the trenches, particularly Verdun 1916 (Part 1 of Demons of Deception) are pretty clearly influenced by Kubrick's Paths of Glory in the contrast between the horror of the trenches and the opulence of the French command. It sounds like Le Havre, June 1916, with the trial, would have taken a page from this film as well.
ABSOLUTELY! "Paths of Glory" is easily on my list of top 10 favourite films and it's an obvious influence on the Verdun episode (plus, as you say, the unfilmed story at Le Havre). ESSENTIAL VIEWING REQUIRED.

Another companion to "Germany, Mid-August 1916/Trenches of Hell" is Jean Renoir's classic masterpiece, "La Grande Illusion". The similarties abound and it even stars Erich Von Stroheim who was a character in "Hollywood Follies". (It was fully remastered last year as part of the Criterion Collection.)

la_grande_illusion.jpg

FortressTour41.jpg

sjff_01_img0204.jpg

la_grande_illusion05.jpg

Attila the Professor said:
The two episodes that are now Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life seem to be what happens when you take The African Queen and Heart of Darkness and put them together with a good man at the end of the journey instead of Kurtz.
There's also a dash of Wilbur Smith's, "Shout at the Devil" in there (and his "Lion of Africa" in Phantom Train of Doom.)(y)

Stoo

"Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man"

One film I've been meaning to mention for a long time is "Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man" from 1962. (A semi-autobiographical film based on his tales of Nick Adams.)

Not only does it feature episodes in New York City and "A Farewell to Arms" scenario with a young, American ambulance driver during the 1st World War getting wounded in Italy and falling in love with a nurse, there is another similarity...The title!

The original title for the Young Indy Chronicles was, "The Adventures of Indiana Jones as a Young Man" and because the 1962 film was a coming-of-age story, it's quite possible that it was a subtle influence on the Young Indy series.

The 1962 film is rare and not easy to see but, if you do have the chance, it's worth checking out.:)

Last edited:

Stoo

New Discovery

There are some shots in, "Attack of the Hawkmen", which I knew were taken from another movie but just couldn't remember what it was. Well, after all these years of wondering, I've FINALLY found the source!:D

"Operation Crossbow" (1965) with George Peppard. The story shares some similarities: a German-speaking American officer is hired as a spy by the British to infiltrate a German secret weapons facility during WW2.

Along with "Aces High", this makes at least 2 films that "Hawkmen" borrows footage from.:eek:

HawkmenCrossbow_zpsa4a6a64c.jpg

MDew

I made another interesting discovery: The cabin scenes in "Hollywood Follies" were lifted from (but digitally altered first) the 1977 film Julia, starring Jane Fonda.

Juliacomparisons_zpsf05a2d80.jpg

There is also a steam engine shot in London 1916 that I am convinced is taken from the film as well, but have yet to confirm it.

MDew

As Stoo mentioned previously, large portions of the town bombing scene in "Trenches of Hell" were taken right from "All Quiet on the Western Front." In fact, it appears that the only shots they didn't use from that sequence were the reaction shots of Indy & Emile and their subsequent escape from the town (which was obviously shot at another location). Strangely enough, it does appear that a few of the shots are from alternate angles - maybe they got their hands on some cut footage...:confused:
ComparisonstoAQOTWF_zpse5690044.jpg

Stoo

MDew said:
I made another interesting discovery: The cabin scenes in "Hollywood Follies" were lifted from (but digitally altered first) the 1977 film Julia, starring Jane Fonda.
MDew, I've been meaning to reply to your last 2 posts for a while but you know how real life can get in the way, eh?

WELL DONE on the "Julia" discovery!:hat: You have the eye of a hawk, my friend. I would have never, ever found that! "Hollywood Follies" is not a chapter that I've watched as often as some of the others and, as such, am not intimately familiar with it. Those 2 shots are rather mundane so it's pretty amazing that you actually noticed them. Bravo! Funnily enough, I remember the rave about "Julia" when the film came out but it's one of the few Jane Fonda movies from the '70s & '80s that I have not seen.

Your find is not only a superb addition to the catalogue but also an extraordinary one because it's the first reported case of the borrowed film being digitally modified. Colour correction was obviously done with "Operation Crossbow" but the changes to the "Julia" footage, as can be seen in your comparison, are much more complicated. (Ex. adding more windows).

---
In the early '80s, my mom used to do the Jane Fonda Workout at home, going along with the vinyl LP or VHS. Couldn't be done with headphones so certain parts are ingrained in my brain.

"And 1?and 2?and 3?and...Woo-o-o-oh! Hot cross buns!":whip:

MDew said:
As Stoo mentioned previously, large portions of the town bombing scene in "Trenches of Hell" were taken right from "All Quiet on the Western Front." In fact, it appears that the only shots they didn't use from that sequence were the reaction shots of Indy & Emile and their subsequent escape from the town (which was obviously shot at another location). Strangely enough, it does appear that a few of the shots are from alternate angles - maybe they got their hands on some cut footage...:confused:
Cut footage is possible. I'll have to go over this one again because your comparison shots have me thinking that there may have been some digital alteration? I am very intrigued about this. Good eye, again!(y)

By the way, it's very cool that your comparison shots are in line with my graphic for "Operation Crossbow". I'd just suggest using a hard edge black for the white lettering's drop shadow because it makes the text easier to read on a small scale. (Next time I make one, the original shots will be left-justified, like you have done. Makes more sense in a chronological way.;))

WilliamBoyd8

I'm wondering if the cabin scenes in "Hollywood Follies" were not taken
from "Julia" but were filmed at the same area with the same house.

I saw "Julia" recently, it is a good film, but probably not a "true story",
as it claims.

:)

MDew

The Julia cabin find was totally by accident, I was watching the film looking for the steam engine that also appeared in YIJC (thinking it was also a stolen shot). I just think its a little strange that YIJC does not give credit to the original films in the credits... :confused:

Stoo

WilliamBoyd8 said:
I'm wondering if the cabin scenes in "Hollywood Follies" were not taken from "Julia" but were filmed at the same area with the same house.

I saw "Julia" recently, it is a good film, but probably not a "true story",
as it claims.
By all accounts (including yours, WillyBoyd), "Julia" is supposed to be an excellent film. Can't wait to watch it, but if you notice MDew's juxtapositions, you'll see that the angles & waves are the same. Without any doubt, it is borrowed footage.
MDew said:
The Julia cabin find was totally by accident, I was watching the film looking for the steam engine that also appeared in YIJC (thinking it was also a stolen shot).
How freaky. This makes *2* Jane Fonda films where footage was taken from!
MDew said:
I just think its a little strange that YIJC does not give credit to the original films in the credits... :confused:
Agreed, however, one of the DVDs *does* give credit to an older film and I have it!(y) Stay tuned for a side-by-side comparison...;)