Better Marion -- Karen Allen or Sean Young?

Raiders90

Bump...Given Karen Allen's so-so performance in Skull, do you think in the long run Sean Young might've worked out? She was awesome with Harrison in Blade Runner, good chemistry on screen (despite hating each other off screen). I'd have loved if they brought her back as Elsa or a femme fatale type character.

The fact that she was MUCH more attractive than Karen factors in for me here.
BladeRunnerBabe05.jpg

Indy's brother

Raiders112390 said:
The fact that she was MUCH more attractive than Karen factors in for me here.

To each their own, but I just find one of her more prominent features to be way to distracting for me:

yr_sean_young_speaks_out_alt2.jpg

"I just flew in from Peru, and boy are my ears tired."​

Not to mention her turn as the tranny in Ace Ventura kind of kills the idea for me. It doesn't matter wether or not she would have taken that role if she had been cast as Marion in ROTLA, it didn't happen, so this is the mental image I have of her now. A big-eared gal with male equipment.

indyclone25

when i saw the behind the scenes of indiana jones and the shown sean youngs screentest and she was mad at tom selleck i knew right then and there she was not the one to play marion. it was over the top acting, she was much more suited to play rachel in bladerunner where she was scared and just plain.:D

Henry W Jones

Whipper said:
Had Tom Selleck been free to accept the role, perhaps Sean Young would've been the best Marion for his Indy.

I think this is dead on because of this......

indyclone25 said:
when i saw the behind the scenes of indiana jones and the shown sean youngs screentest and she was mad at tom selleck i knew right then and there she was not the one to play marion. it was over the top acting, she was much more suited to play rachel in bladerunner where she was scared and just plain.

Tom Selleck would've made a terrible Indy. He would of come off cheesy as Indy if the screen test are an example of what his portrayal would have been. Young was also very corny in the screen test and I believe the movie would have had a very Romancing The Stone feel to it had they got the parts. But I also believe they would have been perfect for each other in "that" version of Raiders just like Harrison and Karen are perfect in the "real" version of Raiders.

Indy's brother said:
To each their own, but I just find one of her more prominent features to be way to distracting for me:

yr_sean_young_speaks_out_alt2.jpg

"I just flew in from Peru, and boy are my ears tired."​

Not to mention her turn as the tranny in Ace Ventura kind of kills the idea for me. It doesn't matter wether or not she would have taken that role if she had been cast as Marion in ROTLA, it didn't happen, so this is the mental image I have of her now. A big-eared gal with male equipment.

She definitely could have starred in Dumbo or she could fill in for Snuffalupacus on Sesame Street. Those are some serious ears.

Last edited:

Raiders90

Given her chemistry with Harrison in Blade Runner, do you think Sean Young should've been considered for another role? We got three female 'stereotypes' if you will--Marion, the tomboy, tough girl; Willie, the blonde cowardly diva; Elsa, the 1940s femme fatale. I always thought Sean Young would've been great for a role as a love interest similar to Molly (in the YIJC)--Something of a more sensitive, less worldly love interest. I'm not talking about in ToD or LC--Just in some other "unmade" IJ movie--a dream of a movie made either between TOD and LC or between LC and KOTCS.

pete33

lol i think sean young is far more beautiful then karen allen and i think it would have been interesting to see her in this role but its funny she was in blade runner. sean young had problems in her life and career, which i found sad cuz she was so gorgeus and also talented but ah well, cant always get the bigtime.

Brooke Logan

I never knew Sean Young was considered for the role, I only ever heard of Debra Winger being wanted for the role.

Well I think Karen Allen is a great actress, not just in this role but in the others I've seen her in. So I think she worked out great.

But after reading in Melissa Anderson's (Mary from Little House) book that she was considered for the role, since I think Melissa is so talented and gorgeous, I can't help wondering what it would have been like for her to be Marion!

Vance

Sean Young would have been (at the time) a perfect woman to play a role in the Indiana Jones universe...

... just not Marion.

kongisking

Raiders112390 said:
Given her chemistry with Harrison in Blade Runner, do you think Sean Young should've been considered for another role? We got three female 'stereotypes' if you will--Marion, the tomboy, tough girl; Willie, the blonde cowardly diva; Elsa, the 1940s femme fatale. I always thought Sean Young would've been great for a role as a love interest similar to Molly (in the YIJC)--Something of a more sensitive, less worldly love interest. I'm not talking about in ToD or LC--Just in some other "unmade" IJ movie--a dream of a movie made either between TOD and LC or between LC and KOTCS.

I agree with this idea, as I really felt a ton of sympathy for Molly. A touching character.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Sean Young dishes dirt on everybody. Probably for the best she's not involved.

Q: I wanted to ask you about Blade Runner, because the “love scene” in that film between your character and Harrison Ford’s is incredibly aggressive and uncomfortable to watch. It almost starts out like it’s going to be an assault. He pushes you, blocks the door, shoves you across the room, and then the saxophone kicks in and there’s kissing.

Sean Young: Well, honestly, Ridley [Scott] wanted me to date him. He tried very hard in the beginning of the show to date him, and I never would. I was like, nah. And then he started dating the actress who played Zhora, Joanna Cassidy, and I felt relieved. And then we do this scene, and I think it was Ridley. I think Ridley was like, **** you. I was thinking, “Why did this have to be like that? What was the point of that?” and I think it was Ridley’s none-too-subtle message that he was getting even with me.

Q: What happened with Spielberg? I remember reading that you’d nearly landed the role of Marion Ravenwood in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Sean Young: I did. He didn’t mistreat me. I saw him at a New Year’s Eve party that Jerry Belson had up by the Mulholland area, and Steven was there. I said to him, “You misled me! I thought I was going to get the part.” And this really offended him. He was all, “I did not mislead you! I did not!” I was like, “Whoa, calm down. I didn’t mean it like you were a bad guy or anything, I just really thought I was going to get the part. You flew me back to California twice.” Very sensitive. And you have to remember, he did that to Bill Hurt. Steven wanted Bill in Jurassic Park, and Bill didn’t want to do it, and that was not what he wanted to hear. Steven has enough power to cancel you. He canceled Megan Fox.