Temple of Doom Arcade Emulator

metalinvader

Arab Swordsman said:
I was going to bid on an original this weekend near my house that was on Ebay but when I went to see it there was a problem with the power supply and it would have cost me between 300-500 to get it fixed plus what the auction would have ended at. So, I just got the emulated version for free!

That much to get a power supply fixed?Wow...
Gotta admit though,As much as it's cool being able to play arcade classics on your PC,It doesn't compare to playing the arcade!:whip:

Arab Swordsman

metalinvader said:
That much to get a power supply fixed?Wow...
Gotta admit though,As much as it's cool being able to play arcade classics on your PC,It doesn't compare to playing the arcade!:whip:

They were going to do a complete overhaul of the system and the low estimate was just based on the power supply and the high estimate was if it would have needed a new motherboard. The cabinet was in pretty good shape but when you turned it on it just came up with PPPP all over the screen so it could have been a few different things. I think another machine in my area was on Ebay too last week and it was going for like 500 buy it now.

metalinvader said:
So do you own an original TOD cabinet or a remake?Very lucky dude either way!

What remake? I have one of the original system 1 cabinets. They never made just a ToD one so there are a few games that will fit. I worked in an arcade in the early 90s that had one. When they were moving they sold a lot of the games so I bought it, I think I paid $150 or so.

They were going to do a complete overhaul of the system and the low estimate was just based on the power supply and the high estimate was if it would have needed a new motherboard. The cabinet was in pretty good shape but when you turned it on it just came up with PPPP all over the screen so it could have been a few different things. I think another machine in my area was on Ebay too last week and it was going for like 500 buy it now.

I'm almost positive that you can replace the power supply much cheaper then that. The boards on the other hand can be expensive. I have a couple of extras, that don't work fully, for backup parts.

metalinvader

Edward The Head said:
What remake? I have one of the original system 1 cabinets. They never made just a ToD one so there are a few games that will fit. I worked in an arcade in the early 90s that had one. When they were moving they sold a lot of the games so I bought it, I think I paid $150 or so.

I'm almost positive that you can replace the power supply much cheaper then that. The boards on the other hand can be expensive. I have a couple of extras, that don't work fully, for backup parts.

Oops! I meant a fan remade cabinet.:eek:

Billy Ray

I have been playing the emulator version on my PC. I never even knew this game existed before then. I lived in Europe for most of the 80s and missed out on a lot of cool stuff like this. I can't seem to get past level 3, even opn easy...the spike traps get me every time. How many levels are there to the game?

metalinvader

Billy Ray said:
I have been playing the emulator version on my PC. I never even knew this game existed before then. I lived in Europe for most of the 80s and missed out on a lot of cool stuff like this. I can't seem to get past level 3, even opn easy...the spike traps get me every time. How many levels are there to the game?

Something like 11 levels plus a bonus level at the end.Thats the three cave/mine cart/Sankara stone levels plus another cave level and then the rope bridge.
THe bonus level is pretty cool.You go around whipping gold statues while the Maharajah runs around and can actually stun you with his voodoo doll.

metalinvader said:
Something like 11 levels plus a bonus level at the end.Thats the three cave/mine cart/Sankara stone levels plus another cave level and then the rope bridge.
THe bonus level is pretty cool.You go around whipping gold statues while the Maharajah runs around and can actually stun you with his voodoo doll.

Off the top of my head I can think of:
the opening round where you pick the difficulty. If you whip everything you get an extra 5000 points.
First round of kids, extra points depends on level.
First mine cart chase, no extra points for whipping all guards.
First Stone scene, destroying all things is worth 10000 points.
Second round of kids, extra points go up.
Second mine cart.
Second capture the stone, extra 10000 again.
Third round of kinds, points go up again.
Third round of carts.
Third round of stones, another 10000.
Then I think there's another round of kids.
Rope Bridge, don't forget to whip Willie for the extra points and kiss.
never ending screen with idols, bats and evil kid.

There's also one or two pyro bonuses, but I can't remember what levels those are on. You have to whip all the gas cans where the kids are. I think it starts on the medium level. I don't play all that much any more so when I do I only play the easy level.

Billy Ray

Ok, I played pretty much all day the other day...on my day off and can get to the kid level after you get the third stone. The bats get me every time though. I am addicted to this game now! So there is a bonus for whipping all the oil barrels? I have been trying to avoid doing that because I usually wind up killing myself...LOL. I played so much that I had to go check out TOD from the library, thank goodness they have the trilogy on DVD!

Billy Ray said:
So there is a bonus for whipping all the oil barrels? I have been trying to avoid doing that because I usually wind up killing myself...LOL.

There is at least on one level, though I don't remember if it's on the medium or hard level. I guess I'll have to go play and find out. As for the last level, just make a run for it. I can also say that you can fall between ledges if the height is not that much. This makes it easier to get around.

metalinvader

It's the first level on Medium,I believe.Right before you exit the level,Whip the four barrels and you will get the 'Pyro bonus'.

*edit*
Just did a quick run through on the first medium level.Medium is the one with the pyro bonus.

metalinvader

Bjorn Heimdall said:
thanks. This game is fun, but is there a chance in hell of avoiding the flaming hearts or whatever?

Whip them or run out of sight of Mola Ram when he first appears.

Billy Ray

Well, I finally made it to the rope bridge...but not past it. Any tips there? I had to abandon a couple of kids on the level before too...Mola Ram was pleased:eek:

metalinvader

The rope bridge can be a pain at first.What I do is whip the two gaurds,THen just make a run for it.Just make sure to stop once in a while to whip the thuggee that are chasing after you,If necessary.

Bjorn Heimdall said:
thanks. This game is fun, but is there a chance in hell of avoiding the flaming hearts or whatever?

In order to get rid of the hearts you either have to save a kid, make it to the next level, or I think you can leave the screen with him on it before he throws the heart. He will come back if you do that though, pretty much right away.

Bjorn Heimdall

I've been adding files to my ROMS folder like in the youtube video but for some reason they don't show up on the list of games. It's like suddenly the zip files just stopped appearing on the list. Can anybody help? (tried f5):(

Billy Ray

Edward The Head said:
In order to get rid of the hearts you either have to save a kid, make it to the next level, or I think you can leave the screen with him on it before he throws the heart. He will come back if you do that though, pretty much right away.

Or you can just whip them:whip:
Not always as easy as it sounds though, depending on their angle of approach.

The Internet Arcade featuring Temple of Doom

The Internet Archive, known for archiving web pages, has made some 900 plus classic arcade games available and playable online. This includes Temple of Doom!

https://archive.org/details/internetarcade

The Internet Archive is a 501(c)(3) non-profit that was founded to build an Internet library. Its purposes include offering permanent access for researchers, historians, scholars, people with disabilities, and the general public to historical collections that exist in digital format.

Founded in 1996 and located in San Francisco, the Archive has been receiving data donations from Alexa Internet and others. In late 1999, the organization started to grow to include more well-rounded collections. Now the Internet Archive includes: texts, audio, moving images, and software as well as archived web pages in our collections, and provides specialized services for adaptive reading and information access for the blind and other persons with disabilities.

The Internet Arcade is a web-based library of arcade (coin-operated) video games from the 1970s through to the 1990s, emulated in JSMAME, part of the JSMESS software package. Containing hundreds of games ranging through many different genres and styles, the Arcade provides research, comparison, and entertainment in the realm of the Video Game Arcade.

The game collection ranges from early "bronze-age" videogames, with black and white screens and simple sounds, through to large-scale games containing digitized voices, images and music. Most games are playable in some form, although some are useful more for verification of behavior or programming due to the intensity and requirements of their systems.