Drew Struzan interview

Adamwankenobi

I would love to see all of those unfinished drawings he did for the YIJ VHS releases (before another artist came in and "finished" them). Hmm, he says Lucas has those too.

metalinvader

Struzan really needs to release a book of all his Indy artwork,Sketches,etc..

That would be a must buy!

Infact..I'm going to email him about it!

Stoo

Thanks, -Jones-, for posting the link. Good interview and I absolutely love the
preliminary ideas for the "Raiders" poster. Never seen those before!:whip:

Funny story about him calling H.Ford, too!

No Ticket

TheLastCrusader said:
Three more Indy 4 posters of which two are finished? Three?!?
:D

He didn't say "posters." He said "artworks." That might not be a poster. Although that would be cool if it was. An international poster maybe?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I'm guessing the one-paragraph Raiders summary he was given mentioned camels.
2_bg.jpg

Awesome, never seen the other two before.

HistoryAddict

Drew Struzan Interview

Here is the info on the interview with The "Indy Artist" Drew Struzan

http://www.starwars.com/community/news/films/f20080314/index.html

"On the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull teaser poster, we get the feeling there might be some hidden features to the artwork -- are we wrong?

You've been on the web too long! Well, any publicity's good publicity [laughs]. If people see things in it and dream about it and make up stories about it, that's a good thing. And whether or not I actually did that on purpose, I don't think I should answer that. I think that's part of what my art is about. I want it to have that room so you can feel your way through it with your own eyes. I think it's really fun that they were saying that. It was obviously designed to be mysterious and sort of entice you, so if it did that, it worked perfectly."

Montana Smith

I was just reading the back covers of yesterday's DVD haul while cooling down from my morning run.

Noticed on The Mist there's an 8 minute documentary entitled Drew Struzan: An Appreciation of an Artist, with Struzan, Frank Darabont and Guillermo del Toro.

Struzan painted the artwork for Thomas Jane's character in the film.

Raven7dp

Funny you mention that movie. I worked as a camera assistant on that feature several years ago. It was awesome to learn that Drew Struzan was the person Thomas Jane's character was based. Cool thing about working on it was the fact that production had several giclees from his most notable works like Shawshank, The Green Mile and The Thing. I was able to walk away with an example from The Thing.

Jonathan

Montana Smith

Raven7dp said:
Funny you mention that movie. I worked as a camera assistant on that feature several years ago. It was awesome to learn that Drew Struzan was the person Thomas Jane's character was based. Cool thing about working on it was the fact that production had several giclees from his most notable works like Shawshank, The Green Mile and The Thing. I was able to walk away with an example from The Thing.

Jonathan

Cool. :cool:

I watched the documentary. Struzan's work is incredible. His posters would even make a poor film look good ...Phantom Menace!

Darabont explained that Thomas Jane's character at the beginning of The Mist was intended to be Struzan himself. He is seen painting a picture that Struzan made specially for the film (a Spaghetti western image inspired by Stephen Kings The Dark Tower series). The walls of the character's studio are covered with his artwork and the painting set up is identical to the way he himself works.

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...ruzan-looks-back-on-a-career-of-poster-design
Hope he takes care of himself, we wouldn't want him to croak like Jim Henson (pun intended) from neglecting his health.
I haven?t painted in a while, or done an illustration in a long time, because I?ve been so sick of recent. The last year and a half have been very, very, very hard physically for me. So I haven?t done a whole lot of painting and drawing. But, I?ll get back to it. I got things on the table ready to go. I went to the doctor for the first time in my life, and they said everything?s absolutely fine. Except for the one thing, I have extremely high blood pressure. I?ll fade out, croak if I do anything strenuous. But they gave me a pill. And I?m on my third pill. And I feel better already. So I?ll be back to it. I just haven?t done anything recently.

Forbidden Eye

Since this thread got bumped...any word on if he is doing Episode 7?

I know he is mostly retired now but it would be...wrong if they don't go to him first.

UPDATE: Finished reading the article. Was a rather depressing "update" on his life.

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Here's another interview.
Q: You posed as Indiana Jones for a lot of the artwork you created for the Indy films. Did you have to do anything special to get into the right mindset to pull off a realistic Harrison Ford pose?

A: I wouldn?t say that. We designed the concept for the poster. You work from photography from the making of the film. A lot of time the poses I came up with weren?t in the film. I needed to get a model to double as Harrison. The model that I could afford was me (laughing). I had the spirit of Indy because I was working on Indy. I would do a bunch of poses until I would get the right photograph that would work for the art. I talked to Harrison and once he said, ?Thanks for the body.? He realized it wasn?t him, but no one else ever did. Harrison is so delightful. A kind person.