Reboot after Indy 5?

Udvarnoky

If it was up to me the reboot notion would be abandoned and instead they'd follow up Indy 5 with an animated series to tell more adventures in the 30s and 40s. Ford doing the voicework would be ideal, but if he can't be bothered, sound-alikes have worked just fine for the video games.

AndyLGR

Raiders112390 said:
So a question -

After Indy V is said and done, it is likely Disney will want to milk the franchise for all its worth, which will mean a new actor. I am curious:

In your opinion, should a new Indy franchise (with a younger actor) keep the same continuity with the original films/tv series, or should it be a reboot, wiping the slate clean?

I ask because I love the original films, the novels, the games and the YIJC - as of now all of those are canon - And I wouldn't want to see a post=Harrison entry be in the same continuity yet decanonize at least the filmed stuff.

And if it is a reboot, how far should it go? Should it totally wipe the slate clean, keeping only the name, clothes, and theme; or a softer reboot ala Star Trek?
This is the million dollar question.

I believe they can work within the current canon if they wanted to. I don't think thats a difficult task to achieve. They don't have to decanonize the films, I'm sure they can fit new adventures in and around the films time frame if they wanted to.

Personally I think the biggest difficulty they will face is casting a new Indiana Jones that captures the audience so they can make more Indy films. I believe the casting of the new Han Solo is a toe in the water for Disney in that regard, make the right choice that the audience buy into and they can make more film featuring the new Han Solo in the years to come. The same goes for Indy.

But it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Disney made a new Indy in the same era as Raiders was set, play it safe to a certain degree like they did with the TFA to get the new Indy films up and running. But I think theres another dilema for them in that do they retread old ground or take it in a fresher direction for a new audience (like they did with Daniel Craigs Bond films as an example)?

Last edited:

Indyfan82

I'm honestly just looking forward to one more Indiana Jones movie with Harrison Ford and I don't really care too much what happens with the franchise beyond that.... I'd honestly rather not see any further related movies made and such- but I'm sure it's going to happen anyway. I'll be open to seeing what happens with it- maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised- but I'm not counting on it, unfortunately.

Face_Melt

Walecs said:
Once Ford leaves the role, I honestly won't give a damn what happens next.

Me for the most part. The ideal way to do this is presumable why they removed the old Indy bookends from the young Indy tv series (so Harrison can play that role).

Indy 5 should be 90% Harrison Ford with a decently long flashback sequence like Last Crusade that introduces us to a new actor playing a younger Indy that also establishes both actors exist in the same canon.

Future Indy movies would be wise to continue to bring Harrison Ford in until his dying day to bookend the films. This is what I would like to see.

Z dweller

Face_Palm said:
Future Indy movies would be wise to continue to bring Harrison Ford in until his dying day to bookend the films. This is what I would like to see.
Look on the bright side: if they shoot a few hours worth of footage now, they could carry on using it for bookends long after Harry eventually passes away.

[/Sarcasm]

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
As I've said many times on here, I'm open to reboot and look forward to it in some regards. Personally I'd like to see Indy in the mid to late 20s and eventually lead into the 30s. Mainly so it won't retread too much of what has been seen in films and to me, it would be an origins-esque kind of introduction to the new actor.

As for the EU, I expect they'll disregard it and I'm fine with that. I had to accept with SW and I loved the old EU too.

curmudgeon

I'm an advocate of prequels and successor-based spin-offs (a la Creed), so long as they maintain a continuity with the existing films.

I wouldn't object or protest a true reboot (that is, a secondary film continuity) but I don't think I'd be interested in watching it.

Raiders90

Violet said:
As I've said many times on here, I'm open to reboot and look forward to it in some regards. Personally I'd like to see Indy in the mid to late 20s and eventually lead into the 30s. Mainly so it won't retread too much of what has been seen in films and to me, it would be an origins-esque kind of introduction to the new actor.

As for the EU, I expect they'll disregard it and I'm fine with that. I had to accept with SW and I loved the old EU too.

I do hope they keep the YIJC. I don't see many new Indy films being set prior to 1920 unless we get another flashback to a teenage Indy. But even then, such a sequence doesn't have to contradict the YIJC. It could easily be set between 1913-1915.

There's a lot of gaps in Indy's history that the YIJC and films do not cover, which could allow for any new series keeping both the old films and YIJC in continuity:

1913-1915
1921-1934
1939-1949;
1951-1956

There's tons of ground to cover, really, without saying "Nope, these films and that series are no longer canon, sorry."

Indyfan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet

I do hope they keep the YIJC. I don't see many new Indy films being set prior to 1920 unless we get another flashback to a teenage Indy. But even then, such a sequence doesn't have to contradict the YIJC. It could easily be set between 1913-1915.

There's a lot of gaps in Indy's history that the YIJC and films do not cover, which could allow for any new series keeping both the old films and YIJC in continuity:

1913-1915
1921-1934
1939-1949;
1951-1956

There's tons of ground to cover, really, without saying "Nope, these films and that series are no longer canon, sorry."

That's only allowing for The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and previous Indy movies to be canon then, as some of those years are indeed covered in the extended universe books and rpgs and comics and video games, etc.
I'd prefer all of them to be kept intact if possible, but as Violet said, they'll probably ignore the EU for Indiana Jones and if anything, perhaps keep YIJC and the movies....
It seems like they could find a way to work them all in though... Why not film some of the better Indy novels if they want to make prequel movies?