Lincoln

WillKill4Food

Le Saboteur said:
If Lincoln can survive this, he can survive vampires. Note: the following video isn't necessarily sufficient for work.
Einstein versus Stephen Hawking and Vader versus Hitler are better IMO.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
QBComics said:
I hadn't realized Spielberg raised Lincoln from the dead. That's some dedication towards a movie.

He's a lot shorter than I'd have guessed. Apparently they cast a little tall in going with Day-Lewis.

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
None have been as mythologized...

Lincoln's been mythologized across virtually all art forms, including rock n' roll.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qwDLB8fFsgE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stoo said:
Hopefully, this type of thing will be taken into account with the new film and that Daniel Day-Lewis pulls it off, for he is a master of his profession.

Like a lot people of a certain age, either born or raised in the orbit of Anaheim and the House of Mouse, this was my first experience with our 16th President, and how I've always imagined him to speak.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LsON8pEXvLc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Finally, this movie flew below the radar. I could start a new thread, but it ties in so well here. The Conspirator deals with the fall out of Lincoln's assassination (oh noes! I gave the surprise twist away!) and the subsequent trial of the confederates. Give it a look if you're interested in American government.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8XhOq5zp6j4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Le Saboteur

One sheet.

lincoln-poster.jpg

Do you remember when tent pole pictures appeared fully formed in your local cinemaplex? How about when the giant teevee in Times Square was forbidden from carrying commercial advertisements? If not, then it should come as no surprise that the first trailer for Lincoln will be broadcast live on that same giant teevee while being simulcast through Google +'s hangout feature.

When: September 13th @ 4pm PST. Spielberg & Joseph Gordon-Levitt will also host a live conversation during the 'event'.

So, yeah.

Dr. Gonzo

Le Saboteur said:
Do you remember when tent pole pictures appeared fully formed in your local cinemaplex? How about when the giant teevee in Times Square was forbidden from carrying commercial advertisements? If not, then it should come as no surprise that the first trailer for Lincoln will be broadcast live on that same giant teevee while being simulcast through Google +'s hangout feature.

When: September 13th @ 4pm PST. Spielberg & Joseph Gordon-Levitt will also host a live conversation during the 'event'.

So, yeah.

Huh, trailers have become events in themselves. Hell do you remember when there was a trailer for the trailer of Prometheus? Jesus.

Dr. Gonzo

Trailer 1

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qiSAbAuLhqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

meh...got all I needed on this history lesson from "Glory"...and with less trademark Spielberg maudlin sentimentality

Bill Murray's FDR movie looks more original, and more appealing...to me anyways...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
featofstrength said:
meh...got all I needed on this history lesson from "Glory"...and with less trademark Spielberg maudlin sentimentality

Bill Murray's FDR movie looks more original, and more appealing...to me anyways...

I don't think they're exactly the same subject.

I'm intrigued by Hyde Park on Hudson as well, though.

Attila the Professor said:
I don't think they're exactly the same subject.

maybe not exactly, but The Color Purple, Amistad, now Lincoln...we get it...a lot of African Americans got a raw deal back in the day and Stevie's got a boner for that message to beat us over the head with. Thematically, its all been done...done to the to the point that everything that follows just looks like typical melodrama to me.

And like the broken public school system needed more help in pushing slavery as the singular cause of the American Civil War...in the laziest way possible: "here, kids. for the next 4 days of history period, we'll be watching "Lincoln"...(insert tape/rest on that tenure)...sigh

ah well, at least its not another estranged father story...or is it, Robert Todd Lincoln?! :p

Last edited:

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
Smacks of Obama Administration propoganda to me, frankly.

Yeah, like the choice to use Bane in Batman was to solidify the negative associations with the word 'Bain'.

As to the Trailer, I watched it with no sound and I kept expecting Lincoln to say that he's fixed like no other company in this field.

And from the quick shot that I saw Jared Harris looks solid, solid as Grant. But can he ride a horse?

Pale Horse said:
Smacks of Obama Administration propoganda to me, frankly.

anyone catch the new "Liberal Jesus" comme...er...I mean "Lincoln" commercial during the debate? According to Deadline.com, it was seen on ABC, CBS, and CNN during the first break

Helluva lot of lefty "friends" on facebook were so quick to comment on Romney dropping a "Reagan"...pretty tight-lipped after Obama dropped a "Lincoln"

Stoo said:
Vary intarestin', Rockit.:hat: Guess he never shook them thar Kintucky roots. (I'm imagining a squeaky version of Jed Clampett). Hopefully, this type of thing will be taken into account with the new film and that Daniel Day-Lewis pulls it off, for he is a master of his profession.
Well, I don't see any evidence so far, but hope springs eternal...

...but I doubt he will!

Pale Horse

Staff member
It could be coincidence, or the fact that humans don't change...

Joe Brody said:
Yeah, like the choice to use Bane in Batman was to solidify the negative associations with the word 'Bain'.

But they say: "If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck..." Even the man himself is deferring the comparison.

But you know me, I see conspiracy and commie's in my cereal.... ;)

Stoo

Joe Brody said:
Jesus H. Christ. What is it with all the Batman bozos?:p
Rocket Surgeon said:
Well, I don't see any evidence so far, but hope springs eternal...

...but I doubt he will!
Agreed. After learning quite a lot about Lincoln's diction in this very thread, the film's trailer doesn't show anything close to his "supposed" accent.:( Nonetheless, I have high hopes for the movie. We shall see...

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
After learning quite a lot about Lincoln's diction in this very thread, the film's trailer doesn't show anything close to his "supposed" accent.

Day-Lewis does seem to slip into a higher 'twang' the more emotional Lincoln gets in the extended teevee spot that our friend from Misery took so much umbrage too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lTA5rdz51XI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Remember that mythmaking aspect I mentioned a while ago? Well, it continues...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dX_1B0w7Hzc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WilliamBoyd8

Problems which Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Lewis will not likely face.

In 1940 the film "Abe Lincoln in Illinois", starring Canadian actor Raymond Massey was released.

At that time, there were people living who had seen and heard Lincoln speak.

Some of them, no doubt helped by the studio, said that Lincoln sounded like Raymond Massey.

Also, some "true Americans" complained about a Canadian actor playing Lincoln.

:)