What Fedora Do You Own?

Which Fedora Do You Own

• Total voters

Glenville86

Recently received a couple Garrison Indy rabbit felt fedoras from David. To be honest, I was disappointed. I ordered 7 1/4 (58) which all my fedoras from different makers are. The ones from David were smaller than what I ordered. Could not even get them on my head. Had to stretch both on a hat stretcher to get them to fit and they are still snug. The back of the lining where the center bow is, is way off center from the front center of the hat. In other words the front crease and back of the hat sweat has one or both way off center. The better Fedoras have the sweat bow line up straight with the crease or front of the hat. When you would then put on the hat, you line up putting it on your head by the location of the bow or front crease. You have to look in a mirror to get the hat lined up on the ones I received. The AdVintage Harrison and Akubra Fed models are much better hats in my opinion at this price point.

If I had received the Garrison as my first fedora, I would of course had a different opinion but got the Garrison after many other brands like Adventurebilt, AdVintage, Northwest, and even the Fed by Akubra.

I also do not care for the color of the felt used.

Drones33

A Before and After shot of my reshaped Coyles.
coyle3_1_by_00177840-dap0e1b.jpg

And the finished article. Nice looking fedora, probably closest to the Raiders hat in terms of proportion. Very stiff felt, almost cardboard-like, even after the steam treatment. Much prefer my Advintage fedoras for an everyday hat, probably use this for fancy dress/cosplay etc...
coyles4_1_by_00177840-dap0fin.jpg

The new ribbon and the bow I made turned out well .

Blackadder

Got my first fedora yesterday from AdVintage, opted for Harrison LC style to go with my wested jacket. Really satisfied and probably will get a different style in the future.

0-02-011.jpg

0-02-010.jpg

0-02-012.jpg

Drones33

Tremendous. Looks great.
Can't go wrong with an Advintage, and your Harrison is superb. Bought one myself recently, gave it a Raiders bash and pinch, Cairo'd it up with a little Fullers Earth. I'll post a couple of pictures.

Blackadder

Thanks guys and thanks to Glenville86, didnt know about them till he mentioned them, I also sent a message to adventurebuilt deluxe but they didnt respond, all in all its great and I had no customs problem since they are based in germany.:whip:

Drones33

New (ish) Advintage Harrison in rabbit. Ordered it open crowned, gave it a Raiders bash/pinch, added a little Fullers.
advintage_h__1_by_00177840-dbfkc97.jpg

Major West

Nice! I see Advintage now have three hat options for the 'Harrison' model. When I got mine last year, it was one choice available, which was a beaver and Rabbit blend if I recall. I need to get some fullers earth, I see you can buy it in white powdered form, is that what I need?

Blackadder

Regarding that, I know that full rabbit is screen accurate and that beaver is waterproof, but what are the perks of 80 % rabbit and 20% beaver ?

Major West

Not sure really. Beaver is the strongest, but maybe the stiffest. The Hats in Raiders were pure Rabbit, soft and floppy. You see it flapping around in the movie, part of the magic. The hats in the sequels were made of something a bit stiffer.

Drones33

From what I gather beaver felt is finer than rabbit in terms of finish, and a little more resilient. Have to say though I've never had an issue with rabbit, holds its shape really well.

Major West said:
Nice! I see Advintage now have three hat options for the 'Harrison' model. When I got mine last year, it was one choice available, which was a beaver and Rabbit blend if I recall. I need to get some fullers earth, I see you can buy it in white powdered form, is that what I need?

I think so. I picked mine up on Amazon, little plastic pouch of off-White powder, very fine. It was only a couple of quid and a little bit goes a long way!

Glenville86

Just scored a nice condition Penman Raiders in rabbit on the Fedora Lounge for a little over 200 USD. Not bad as they go for 375 if you order one and then the wait time.......Also have one of Everyman" 80/20 bashed into a Raiders I picked up on EBay pretty cheap.

Some folks order their custom/semi custom hats and they receive ill fitting ones. Not sure if it is the maker or the wrong measurements but I have scored about 4 Indy ones overs the last few years on the cheap.

micsteam

Just for info guys, the fedoras made for the first three movies were rabbit and for KOTCS they were 100% beaver. Rabbit is a good felt but does not hold it's shape as long as beaver, however you can request your hat to be reblocked if you feel it is losing it's shape and character. Beaver is naturally more water resistant but when you purchase or order a hat you can request that you want water repellent applied to either felt. The rabbit felt used by Herbert Johnson for Raiders was sourced from a supplier in Brazil/South America and was unique to Raiders and was unable to be sourced for ToD and LC, the felt was floppy but could hold a pinch and shape better than the consequent felts used for the following movies.
Penman is a fine hatter, his Everyman is a factory 80/20 rabbit beaver blend(like an Akubra or Miller) hat that when you order you request which style hat from which moivie you want, reatils for $250. The fedora that Glenville86 scored on Fedora Lounge is Penman's Legacy Fedora which is made by hand 100% rabbit and is modeled after the Raiders fedora but can be shaped in any style you want upon request and retails for $375. Hope this helps ! :hat:

Glenville86

indytim said:
Anyone got any tips for how to best measure your own head before ordering a hat online?

Honestly, I wear a 7 1/4 in almost every hat. Translates to a 58 European. I always just order my size whenever I commission a custom fedora or buy one off the rack. When I joined the Army years ago, that was when I found out my real hat size vice the small, medium, large and X-large that many cheaper hats use.

I would suggest just going into a store and trying on a few to get the right size. Most of the custom Indy fedora preowned ones I picked up were from people who used a tape measure and the measurements were off. They ended up with hats that did not fit. I think they would have been better off just ordering their normal hat size. Some makers like Penman just wants the tape measure but you can just convert your size into the measurement he wants.

You don't want a snug fit. The sweat will conform to your head after you wear it some. Anything can be placed behind the sweat band (spacers) if it is slightly loose. I order cork strips off a guy in Canada but even just folding a paper towel to fit behind the sweat works fine.

That is just my opinion and some might recommend a tape measure vice just trying on some quality hats to get the right size.