Should Lao Che return?

Cingatorix

Lao Che is the only villain in the Indy films that never dies, his story was left open in Temple of Doom and still could remain a threat to Indy. The actor who portrayed him, (Roy Chiao) died in the 90's, however over 2 decades have passed (in film time), and could be recast with an older actor. Would you like to see him and Indy finish their feud, or is he better left out?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Chattar Lal didn't die.

I wouldn't mind a nod to the Air Service. Maybe not the actor or character, but certainly the company would be a nice touch.

Cingatorix

Pale Horse said:
Chattar Lal didn't die.

I wouldn't mind a nod to the Air Service. Maybe not the actor or character, but certainly the company would be a nice touch.

Well, in the novelization Lal attempts to attack Jones in the Thuggee cavern and is knocked into the lava pit. Not sure if they're considered canon though.

Stoo

Hi, Cingatronix. Welcome to The Raven.

Two versions of Lal's fate were filmed* but in the final movie you can see him crawling away to safety. Oh, and the Monkey Man from "Raiders" didn't die, either. ;)

*Check out posts #68 & #72 of this sensational thread: Deleted scenes

Anyway, no, Lao Che should not come back because that would be 3 movies in a row with returning characters. I'd personally prefer all new ones (which is one of the reasons I love "Doom" so much) though, as Pale Horse suggested, a nod to Lao Che Air Freight would be cool.

Duaner

I would not want to see Lao Che recast. Roy Chiao was too perfect in the role. Plus I figure by the era that Indy 5 will be set Lao Che would be either dead or laying low in his old age. I would however be okay with Ric Young returning as Kao Kan.

Cingatorix

Stoo said:
Hi, Cingatronix. Welcome to The Raven.

Two versions of Lal's fate were filmed* but in the final movie you can see him crawling away to safety. Oh, and the Monkey Man from "Raiders" didn't die, either. ;)

Thank you, forgot about that and the monkey man as well.

Stoo said:
Anyway, no, Lao Che should not come back because that would be 3 movies in a row with returning characters.

Never quite thought of him like that, interesting approach. Thank you for commenting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Walecs

Duaner said:
I would not want to see Lao Che recast. Roy Chiao was too perfect in the role. Plus I figure by the era that Indy 5 will be set Lao Che would be either dead or laying low in his old age. I would however be okay with Ric Young returning as Kao Kan.

Agreed with this.