Deleted scenes

FILMKRUSC

They should at least release some of the outtake reels from the films.
Those are very fun. There's a temple of doom outtake of harrison ford being surprised when he is tied up for the Thugee whipping and Barbara Striesand comes out with the whip. :D

LVskywalker

I would love to see Sallah's execution scene. I remember Spielberg saying, that it would have been the most emotional scene in the whole movie, and that the young german soldier (a german tourist) did a wonderful acting job.

Hopefully they'll be released on DVD sometime. (y)

sunshinestate1992

LVskywalker said:
I would love to see Sallah's execution scene. I remember Spielberg saying, that it would have been the most emotional scene in the whole movie, and that the young german soldier (a german tourist) did a wonderful acting job.

Hopefully they'll be released on DVD sometime. (y)
You know i have a story similat to this. I one of my great grandfathers is from yugoslavia and when hitler took ooooooooooover his country he was drafted against his will into his army,so was the rest of his company, and he was ordered to shoot a jewish man,My great grandfather refused(because he wasnt a racist or anything,he was just a nice man with morals,and knew no ones life is worth more than anothers life)and was about to get shot when his whole company backed him up.And they wouldnt shoot the whole company.
By the way my two great uncles were americans and infantry in the united states army.(they are on my dads side ,while my yugoslavian great greatgrandfather is on my moms)

My great grandfather was just 17 a kid .

Its funny how there are actually accounts where this has happened.

Last edited:

Indy's Fist

Is there any reason why the deleated scenes were not on any of the DVD releases? I for one would love to see them as well as some alternate scenes.

Udvarnoky

Some people have claimed that Spielberg is simply against the release of deleted scenes, but I'm not familiar with any actual proof of this, and some of his movies do in fact have deleted footage on the DVD. For whatever reason though Lucasfilm keeps the excised footage locked tight. I wouldn't hold my breath for them seeing the light day.

Driftwoodv.7

Which is probably true, and yet very unfortunate.

But it can't hurt to dream. Imagine if Paramount released deleted scenes of all four films somehow? How ridiculously fun would it be to watch em? ;)

martinland

Indy's Fist said:
Is there any reason why the deleated scenes were not on any of the DVD releases? I for one would love to see them as well as some alternate scenes.
At least I remember a quote about Spielberg's style of shooting, I guess it's from the bonus material on the DVD and it's the editor Michael Kahn uttering it - I paraphrase:

'There are no "deleted" scenes as Steven is very economical with setups. All scenes scripted are in the film, there are a couple of trimmed shots here and there and that's about it.'

Maybe it has been this way since Raiders?
Of course - like in Raiders - he sometimes used to add creative stuff in the spur of the moment, when he was younger. No, scratch these last words... ;)

Martin

Crack that whip

I think it's more of a Lucasfilm thing; note the absence of long-craved deleted scenes from the DVD releases of the original Star Wars movies (though the prequel releases do have them).

Udvarnoky

martinland said:
'There are no "deleted" scenes as Steven is very economical with setups. All scenes scripted are in the film, there are a couple of trimmed shots here and there and that's about it.'

Maybe it has been this way since Raiders?

Although Spielberg is notorious for his efficiency and planning, and therefore accumulates a minimum of excised footage, every movie has it, including all Indiana Jones movies, as we of course know for fact. Whether or not they're mere "trims" means little to the obsessive fan.

Junior Jones

Crack that whip said:
I think it's more of a Lucasfilm thing; note the absence of long-craved deleted scenes from the DVD releases of the original Star Wars movies

I think Uncle George is keeping those deleted scenes locked up for now. In a few more years he'll reinsert them into the original film with added digital effects and call it the "Special Edition".

I can hardly wait!

NoCamels

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but there's always the possibility that any deleted scenes no longer exist. Nobody thought of keeping them around for DVD releases back in the '80s.

For example: the special edition of Legend has a partially reconstructed deleted scene. Someone found the audio, but all they could do for picture was some production stills and storyboards, because nobody thought to save the film. It would have been hilarious, too. The Gump makes Tom Cruise's character do an enchanted fairy dance (meaning he can't stop) as punishment for letting the princess touch a unicorn.

I would love to see deleted scenes from Indiana Jones or the original Star Wars, though.

(If you weren't into unicorns, Tom Cruise, or fantasy in the '80s, don't feel too bad about missing Legend. Unless you want to see Tim Curry as the evil demonic Darkness, or you have to see every movie directed by Ridley Scott.)

ProfessorChaos

All these scenes were in the comcis and/or novels of the films, but not in the films themselves. Were they deleted scenes, I wonder? Here is what I recall...
1. Temple of Doom - Shorty sees guard awaken from Black Sleep:
When he is brought to the mines after being captured, Short Round sees a guard burn his leg and awaken from the Black Sleep of Kali. He is dragged off by other guards, and this reveals how Short Round learns it is pain that can awaken someone from Kali's spell. Which is why he burns Indy, way later on.
2. Temple of Doom - Willy gets captured by Chatter Lal:
Willy Scott and Short Round go back through the cave as Indy is going to try and get the Shankara Stones. Willy makes her way back to her room in the palace and runs into Chatter Lal, whom she tells how she just saw some guy get boiled in lava while she is complaining. Chatter Lal then says to her: "Yes, Miss Scott... we did!" and he takes her prisoner. Short Round is captured by Thugee guards at this point, and Indy gets captured shortly after this occurs.
3. Raiders - Indy clings to the periscope on the U-Boat:
Indy was clinging to the periscope of the Nazi U-Boat while it was on it's way to the island. It never submerged, which explained how Indy survived the trip.
4. Raiders - Marion kisses Indy at the bar:
Indy is about to leave the bar and returns. Marion says to him: "I still don't know if I can trust you. You said you'd come back last time." Indy says: "And so, I have." to which she replies: "Yeah. Come Here." So, he complains at her tone, saying: "Bossy, aren't you?" and she says: "That's right. Give me a kiss. It's time I started calling the shots in this relationship." She kisses Indy, then tells him: "Leave the money here.", at which point Indy walks out of the bar.
5. Raiders - Marion explains Abner's death:
When Indy initially asks her about Abner, Marion explains that he was killed in an avalanche when a snowstorm hit. Indy is very shocked to hear this detail.
6. Raiders - The Imam explains the perils of the Ark:
When he is examining the Headpiece to the Staff of Ra, the Imam explains to Indy and Sallah that they must never touch the Ark directly nor look upon it's contents, for to do so is death. This is how Indy knows to keep his eyes shut at the end... and, why he and Sallah use the poles to lift the Ark in the Well.
When Sallah first sees the Ark, he reaches out to touch it. Indy has to stop him before he does, and he mentions the Imam's warning to not ever touch it.
7. Last Crusade - Donovan's men kidnap Indy:
Indy is walking outside the college. Donovan's men pull up in the car and tell him to come with them. They pull out a gun, forcing Indy to come along.
8. Last Crusade - Sallah smacks a camel:
While Marcus and Sallah are trying to get away at the train station, Sallah smacks a camel, causing it to spit on the Nazis. Sallah then fights the Nazis.
9. Last Crusade - Indy punches a guard:
After Hitler autographs the Grail Diary, Indy has to punch a guard who shows up and questions what he is doing there. Indy then steals the guard's uniform.
10. Last Crusade - Death of the Flying Ace:
The World War I Flying Ace who is trying to impress people on the Zeppelin is, along with some Gestapo agents, killed when they try to get another of the planes flying to try and catch Indy and his father when they escape on the plane. The drunken Flying Ace accidentally causes his own plane to crash.

DearGrailDiary

ProfessorChaos said:
All these scenes were in the comcis and/or novels of the films, but not in the films themselves. Were they deleted scenes, I wonder? Here is what I recall...
1. Temple of Doom - Shorty sees guard awaken from Black Sleep:
When he is brought to the mines after being captured, Short Round sees a guard burn his leg and awaken from the Black Sleep of Kali. He is dragged off by other guards, and this reveals how Short Round learns it is pain that can awaken someone from Kali's spell. Which is why he burns Indy, way later on.
2. Temple of Doom - Willy gets captured by Chatter Lal:
Willy Scott and Short Round go back through the cave as Indy is going to try and get the Shankara Stones. Willy makes her way back to her room in the palace and runs into Chatter Lal, whom she tells how she just saw some guy get boiled in lava while she is complaining. Chatter Lal then says to her: "Yes, Miss Scott... we did!" and he takes her prisoner. Short Round is captured by Thugee guards at this point, and Indy gets captured shortly after this occurs.
3. Raiders - Indy clings to the periscope on the U-Boat:
Indy was clinging to the periscope of the Nazi U-Boat while it was on it's way to the island. It never submerged, which explained how Indy survived the trip.
4. Raiders - Marion kisses Indy at the bar:
Indy is about to leave the bar and returns. Marion says to him: "I still don't know if I can trust you. You said you'd come back last time." Indy says: "And so, I have." to which she replies: "Yeah. Come Here." So, he complains at her tone, saying: "Bossy, aren't you?" and she says: "That's right. Give me a kiss. It's time I started calling the shots in this relationship." She kisses Indy, then tells him: "Leave the money here.", at which point Indy walks out of the bar.
5. Raiders - Marion explains Abner's death:
When Indy initially asks her about Abner, Marion explains that he was killed in an avalanche when a snowstorm hit. Indy is very shocked to hear this detail.
6. Raiders - The Imam explains the perils of the Ark:
When he is examining the Headpiece to the Staff of Ra, the Imam explains to Indy and Sallah that they must never touch the Ark directly nor look upon it's contents, for to do so is death. This is how Indy knows to keep his eyes shut at the end... and, why he and Sallah use the poles to lift the Ark in the Well.
When Sallah first sees the Ark, he reaches out to touch it. Indy has to stop him before he does, and he mentions the Imam's warning to not ever touch it.
7. Last Crusade - Donovan's men kidnap Indy:
Indy is walking outside the college. Donovan's men pull up in the car and tell him to come with them. They pull out a gun, forcing Indy to come along.
8. Last Crusade - Sallah smacks a camel:
While Marcus and Sallah are trying to get away at the train station, Sallah smacks a camel, causing it to spit on the Nazis. Sallah then fights the Nazis.
9. Last Crusade - Indy punches a guard:
After Hitler autographs the Grail Diary, Indy has to punch a guard who shows up and questions what he is doing there. Indy then steals the guard's uniform.
10. Last Crusade - Death of the Flying Ace:
The World War I Flying Ace who is trying to impress people on the Zeppelin is, along with some Gestapo agents, killed when they try to get another of the planes flying to try and catch Indy and his father when they escape on the plane. The drunken Flying Ace accidentally causes his own plane to crash.

So many of those scenes, though relatively small, would have enhanced the Indy films. ie: Short Round learning how to awaken Indy from the Black Sleep and Indy knowing not to look upon the contents of the Arc. Less then a minute worth of footage for each would have really tied together a few plot holes that needed a bit more explanation. IMHO.

Dewy9

It's funny how Lucasfilm keeps these under lock and key while they have so many of the prequel trilogy's cut scenes.

I always wanted to see the part of the Marshall College chase where they end up on the football field. I have no idea if this was ever filmed, but it would be cool to see.

Paden

NoCamels said:
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but there's always the possibility that any deleted scenes no longer exist. Nobody thought of keeping them around for DVD releases back in the '80s.
I can't help but wonder if this is true. It would seem a definite possibility that the footage that ended up on the cutting room floor was simply disposed of. That said, being one who loves to speculate about some aspects of Indy's background, I'd love to see any lost scenes that happened to be preserved, even though it would mean shelling out more cash to Uncle George and Company.

Udvarnoky

Dewy9 said:
I always wanted to see the part of the Marshall College chase where they end up on the football field. I have no idea if this was ever filmed, but it would be cool to see.

I think I read somewhere that this segment was dropped before it was filmed, but I can't be sure.

Ignatius Stone

NoCamels said:
(If you weren't into unicorns, Tom Cruise, or fantasy in the '80s, don't feel too bad about missing Legend. Unless you want to see Tim Curry as the evil demonic Darkness, or you have to see every movie directed by Ridley Scott.)

Legend was OK, but no masterpiece. I did buy the ultimate edition, and it was nice to see the director's cut with the Goldsmith score, which I much prefer over the awful soundtrack on the US theatrical cut. By far the best thing about Legend is Tim Curry's awesome make up and his great performance.

As for deleted scenes from the Indy trilogy, yes, as previously mentioned, certain footage was shot, but excised from the final cuts.
Whether this footage survives in any salvagable form remains to be seen.
But I'm fairly hopeful that it will be restored and included in some future release as bonus material.

It's true that Spielberg isn't really a fan of including cut footage, but still he does often sanction deleted scenes for home video release... look at the first DVD edition of CE3K or the two DVD editions of Jaws, for instance.

The first Indy trilogy DVD boxset followed the same format as the first DVD boxset of the original SW Trilogy, ie: no deleted scenes.
I was also disappointed that the vintage "making of" docs weren't included.

(I'm also hopeful that a future SW set will one day feature deleted scenes, too. But for those that can't wait for that day, check out the "Behind The Magic" CDROM, or just hit YouTube.)