Brilliant War movies

Joe Brody

Brown Fedora said:
[...]I was responding to the idea that the Germans were "totally ineffective" against the Americans [...]

Fed,

I suspect roundshort doesn't really disagree with you. His earlier posting on American dominance against the huns was really about sticking it to a high strung German member of the Raven.

Brown Fedora

Joe Brody said:
Fed,

I suspect roundshort doesn't really disagree with you. His earlier posting on American dominance against the huns was really about sticking it to a high strung German member of the Raven.

Thanks for clarifying; no offense was intended, in any case, however!:)

-Alex

Cammy

Some of my favourites are Schindler's List, Gallipoli, The Great Escape and Life is Beautiful. I was wondering if there are any other good war movies of any period that you would recommend highly?

Jay R. Zay

Cammy said:
Some of my favourites are Schindler's List, Gallipoli, The Great Escape and Life is Beautiful. I was wondering if there are any other good war movies of any period that you would recommend highly?

which of these is a war movie :confused:

Finn

Staff member
War-themed, more likely, but only the middle two can really be ranked as war movies, and even Escape is more an adventure.

IAdventurer01

I like Kelley's Heroes. :p

The Great Escape is another wonderful movie. It's certainly on the list of my top war movies.

indifan101

Band of Brothers
Great Escape
Saving Private Ryan
Paths to Glory
Sands of Iwo Jima
U-571
Bridge Too Far
Hamburger Hill
We Were Soldiers
The Green Berets
Windtalkers
Run Silent Run Deeep

Cammy

Oops I meant war themed movies or related to war in some way. I like to see the impact war has on society like for example, A League of their Own. Although it isn't a war movie, it still reflects on the impact it has on American society especially women. Sorry about that mix up guys.

roundshort

indifan101 said:
Band of Brothers
Great Escape
Saving Private Ryan
Paths to Glory
Sands of Iwo Jima
U-571
Bridge Too Far
Hamburger Hill
We Were Soldiers
The Green Berets
Windtalkers
Run Silent Run Deeep

WHAT NO FULL METAL JACKET??????

monkey

Monkey's Favorite War Movies:

"Das Boot"

"The Sand Pebbles"

"A Time to Live, a Time to Die"

"All Quiet on the Western Front"

"Sands of Iwo Jima"

Jay R. Zay

The Thin Red Line
Apocalypse Now
Platoon
All Quiet on the Western Front
Das Boot
The Bridge on the River Kwai

i'm looking forward to seeing Tuskegee Airmen soon.

apart from these, i also enjoyed Pearl Harbor very much if you don't take it too seriously but more as an action dog fight movie, as which it is stylistically very well done in my humble opinion.

Jay R. Zay

temple of john said:
Those are all good choices. Your kidding about Peral Harbor, right??? That movie sucked it hard!!! Aside from the fact that it was COMPLETELY innaccurate to the history of the event, the acting blew!!!

your mother blew. :p i said i take it as an entertaining action movie. well i don't like ben affleck much, either, but the rest of the cast seems okay to me. not many brilliant parts but they're doing the job. i've only seen the movie once, quite a time ago, but i remember that i liked the dog fight scenes.

Joe Brody

VP must be on vacation:

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=4306

Joe Brody in the Best War Movies Thread I said:
For me, the boundaries of the genre are pretty narrow. Despite how much I may love a given flic, I won't tag a drama as a war movie just because it unfolds in the midst of a war. Accordingly, I won't include favorites like 'Empire of the Sun' and 'The Deer Hunter'.

Elements/themes that I look for in War movies are: overcoming fear/cowardice, loyalty, unit cohesiveness (including all sorts of prejudice), and -- of course -- accomplishing the mission. A great war movie also tells something not just about the characters, but about the conflict. I don't like shallow glamorizations.

My three favorites are (all Army):
Platoon
Sahara
Black Hawk Down

The two David Lean epics -- 'Bridge over the River Kwai' and 'Lawrence of Arabia' -- meet the criteria above but merit special consideration. IMO 'Lawrence' is bigger than a war movie because T.E. Lawrence's accomplishments were larger than life. Kwai is a great movie but problematic in that I feel it tries to do too much (in posing moral dilemmas) and suffers dramatically as a result.