The Oscars

Pale Horse

Staff member
Z dweller said:
Is someone going to make a movie about that tragicomic moment, I wonder?

HoJAfmE.gif

Joe Brody

Forbidden Eye said:
Oh man, if you had only known!

The Best Picture reveal! Talk about a WTF moment!

Missed it. Miserable night with food poisoning. Though I did like the Rolex spot (will never own one though).

WilliamBoyd8

No doubt the guy who had the biggest laugh was an actor who was not in attendance at the show but whose name was repeatedly mentioned.

:)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
WilliamBoyd8 said:
No doubt the guy who had the biggest laugh was an actor who was not in attendance at the show but whose name was repeatedly mentioned.

:)

I saw the broadcast, but apparently this is too esoteric even for me.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.oscars.org/news/academy...-marshall-lalo-schifrin-and-cicely-tyson-2018
The Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences voted Tuesday night (September 4) to present Honorary Awards to publicist Marvin Levy, composer Lalo Schifrin and actress Cicely Tyson, and the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award to producers Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall. The three Oscar statuettes and Thalberg Award will be presented at the Academy’s 10th Annual Governors Awards on Sunday, November 18, at the Ray Dolby Ballroom at Hollywood & Highland Center.

The Kennedy/Marshall producing partnership, formed in 1991, has generated Best Picture nominations for “The Sixth Sense” (1999), “Seabiscuit” (2003), “Munich” (2005) and “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button” (2008). Kennedy/Marshall Company productions also include “Congo,” all five “Bourne” films, and “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.” Prior to forming Kennedy/Marshall, the duo co-founded Amblin Productions with Steven Spielberg, sharing a Best Picture nomination for “The Color Purple” (1985). Additionally, Marshall received a Best Picture nomination for “Raiders of the Lost Ark” (1981), while Kennedy was nominated in the same category for “E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial” (1982), “War Horse” (2011) and “Lincoln” (2012). Kennedy is the first woman to receive the Thalberg Award.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The Golden Globes January 9 weren't even live streamed, West Side Story won best musical and 2 others.
Screen Actors Guild is February 27.
Director's Guild of America is March 12.
British Academy Awards is March 13.
Producers Guild of America is March 19. (Lucas and Kennedy get the Milestone Award)
Writers Guild of America is March 20.
Academy Awards is March 27.

Cast and creators will emerge at these and other ceremonies but might not be approachable by press until Covid subsides (again).

Lucas:
"Receiving the Milestone Award from the PGA is a celebration of all that goes into bringing stories to life across a lifetime… protecting creativity while balancing business, moving technology forward to make real what you can see in your mind’s eye and doing it all from scratch most of the time. Being recognized alongside my longtime friend and fellow producer Kathleen Kennedy makes this honoring of our shared and individual works even more meaningful."
Kennedy:
"I am very honored to share this award with George Lucas who has inspired a generation of filmmakers who were coming of age, not only through his storytelling but through technological innovation that unlocked our imagination."

Forbidden Eye

I admit, I just had my biggest surprise of the week when I saw this thread had been bumped, and the post wasn't about... you-know-what.
Yeah. The fact almost no one is talking about Coda and whether it deserved Best Picture or not, but almost everyone is having endless discussions about that...incident, pretty much tells you how much movies in general have fallen from cultural relevancy among current generations.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member

The PGA awards video was apparently closed circuit, and nothing made it to their website. Here's a bootleg from the press gallery. Kennedy and Lucas too. There don't seem to be full transcripts of these speeches anywhere. Spielberg also spoke at the breakfast earlier in the day, as reported here and here.

Spielberg (transcript updated from the video):
"...of your most meaningful legacy setting(?). First to understand the import of the PGA Milestone Award, and your proud place among its recipients, I feel even in this room, we need to define what producers do. Producers do whatever the hell it takes. And they do whatever the hell it takes with courage and imagination and utter lack of intimidation, because producers need to know everybody’s jobs. Not how to do them, but how they are done well, which is what makes George and Kathy so deserving of this recognition. So let's start with the elder statesman, a description I can use because George is three years older than me, and yet he's still the kid in all of us sitting there tonight. So George and I met as two of the most nerdy film junkies in California. I know George, you're saying, speak for yourself. But across all the years we competed against each other, we propped each other up, we cheered each other on, we made each other better, and today I would not be overreaching to call you my brother. When he steps to the stage tonight, my wish is that you see more than just a visionary producer. My wish is that you feel the impact he's had on your life, and the lives of your kids, and your grand kids. And yes George, we're of an age now where the great grand kids are watching Star Wars for the first time. For it's from his mind that your mind now includes entirely new worlds, because he dreamt them for you, he dreamt them for all of us, and they became a permanent part of the culture. George remains the only full universe creator in modern America to fuse the old and the new, the fairy tale and the comic strip, the epic and the pop, and give it the patina of truth, and the irresistible pull of genre. George, thank you. ... In the way that George is my brother, so is Kathy my sister. ... These two titans are still just like kids playing in a sandbox. So it is one plus one equals 175. That’s the number of projects they have together and apart: 175. Because their singular talents combined are all in the pursuit of creating new stories — new stories that have enriched the art form, driven our culture forward and inspired new generations to tell their own stories. They are and always will be the force to be reckoned with.”
Kennedy (transcript updated from the video):
“This is cruel to have to follow Steven Spielberg. But I can tell you, this is just an amazing honor, and it's incredibly special to be sharing this with George. If I look back in time and tell my 24 year old self just out of film school, that someday I'd be standing here alongside George Lucas, being handed the PGA Milestone Award from Steven Spielberg, my 24 year old self would laugh and say 'lady, you're nuts.' My 25 year old self might have been a little less shocked because she had met Steven Spielberg and George Lucas, and begun this amazing journey, an adventure that the three of us have had together all these years. The reel you just watched, it captures a little bit of that journey. We have all shared an unstoppable joy of making movies and I feel that the work shows. ... George has built a universe, a cosmos that mirrors the world: epic journeys, sacred quests, myths, legends, romances, conflicts and contradictions, a grand synthesis of imagination and dreams. George’s universe has proven to be spacious enough to welcome in successive generations of new and visionary filmmakers. A story of this scale demanded new tools to unlock the imagination. So George created or had a hand in creating a great deal of the technical magic that’s transformed and expanded the very nature of our art. ... George entrusted with the stewardship of his universe, my gratitude for his belief in me is almost as vast as my admiration for his achievements. ... Steven, George and I met at the dawning of new age in motion picture history, and we worked side by side through one revolution in our industry after another. Revolutions not only in the means of moviemaking, and in the ways movies reach audiences, but also in the composition of our business. As women, artists of color, LGBTQ and differently labeled artists and producers, who have fought for and won a place at the table, propelling our community toward more inclusive, diverse, richer, more sophisticated and nuanced sense of responsibilities for social, racial and economic justice. There’s no one that I would rather share this moment with more than my friend, my mentor and the greatest master Jedi of them all, George."
Lucas (transcript updated from the video):
"To me, that’s the first and foremost job of a producer, which is to do the impossible. And you do it every single day. And then every single day, something comes along to destroy everything you’ve done. And you have to pick it all up at lunch, and figure out a new way to finish the movie, in conjunction with the director, and it’s daunting to say the least. But a producer never works alone. One, you have to have a great crew. I’ve always had the best crews. I couldn’t have done it without them. And so I think my job also is to gather them all together and inspire them to be the best they can be. So with that, I'd also like to thank Rick McCallum who is a producer with many years. I'm not really a producer. You know, I'm an executive producer. They don't count. All we do is get the money, make the deals, hire the people, and sit back and watch television. But that's only been in the last three years. The thing I'm the most proud of is digital cinema. That was something that I worked on for 20 years, spent many, many, many millions of dollars to make it happen, and had a lot of help from a lot of very talented people. And I'm very happy that we brought it here. Some people still, where's Steven? (laughs) Some people still don't believe in it. But we're all friends. Marty doesn't either. Christopher Nolan doesn't either. There's a whole group of them here. Everybody around me is 'Ooh, digital laptop movies.' That's something else. I did one. Well, they're something else. I'll say it really is something else. But anyway, there are a few people like Jim Cameron that got on board and helped me write the beginning with the pioneering of the medium. He wanted it for 3D. I wanted it just to make it easier to make movies, and to bring my ideas in my head to life, which is really the most important part, because that's the hardest part of making movies, is taking it from my head and putting it on the screen so people can watch it. And as a writer, director, producer, I've had to deal with all those things all together.”

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Academy Awards nominations are announced January 24.
Directors Guild of America is February 18.
British Academy Awards is February 19.
Producers Guild of America is February 25.
Screen Actors Guild is February 26.
Writers Guild of America is March 5.
Academy Awards is March 12.

Oscars odds currently favor Steven Spielberg, Brendan Fraser, Cate Blanchett, and Ke Huy Quan.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Tar director Todd Field saw Raiders 350 times at the theater where he worked. (When he wasn't helping invent Big League Chew.) It features Julian Glover and Cate Blanchett.