Idea for a snow bound Indy 5

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
"Alps... very dangerous. You go first, Mutt."
Bwa-ha! Nice one.:D
Montana Smith said:
It's far more impressive than Blofeld's lair, the Piz Gloria on the Schilthorn in Switzerland (which was a very cool lair in itself):
Believe it or not, we went up Schilthorn the very next day! (My 4th time up.) This photo is from my 1st time in 2009:

Stoo_Schilthorn.jpg

Speaking of James Bond, the one thing I wouldn't care to see Indy do in the snow is skiing. Having Dr. Jones on skis would be too Bond-ish and Indy has already gone downhill in a raft, which is much more thrilling to watch.

Spurlock

There's a little known fact that during WWII, the Nazi's basically controlled Greenland, using it mostly as a weather prediction outpost, they had establishments all along the coast.

I smell a possible IJ5 location and plot. Off the top of my head:

Indy's chasing ex-nazis leads them from Argentina to Greenland, where they continue for the search of some mythical viking artifact.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Doctor Zhivago

Attila the Professor said:
One thing that would help this happen is for somebody to start whispering "Doctor Zhivago" in Spielberg's ear.
I see what you mean. I honestly can't tell how much is real. 3+ hour movie and I never tired of looking at it.

Dr+Zhivago+house+exterior.jpg

dr-zhivago-1.jpg

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
On the other end of the spectrum is Running Scared, where Chicago is intermittently sprayed with soap suds.
The movie takes place in the middle of a cold, gray Chicago winter, which is made all the colder and grayer by the hilariously inept use of fake movie snow. Considering how many vertical surfaces are plastered with "snow" in this movie, while the ground remains clear, Chicago must be the only city in which the snow falls from Oak Park instead of from the sky.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Getting back to this idea:
Moedred said:
How about a frozen lake which is revealed to have no water beneath, just a long drop to the rocky ground? I've actually heard of this phenomenon: a reservoir is built and filled with water, trees in the former valley are topped at water level, the surface freezes, and rests on the many treetops when the reservoir is drained. Sequoias would be too far apart, but 100 foot lodgepole pines are plausible. When it starts to collapse and tilt at odd angles, the chase and escape (on aerosani and snowmobile) up the long valley begins.
For visuals, combine Austria's Kolnbrein Dam from Boys form Brazil...

tumblr_njknv4CMtH1tus777o4_640.png

...and Kazakhstan’s Lake Kaindy, formed naturally from an earthquake in 1911, but trees have been topped at the highest water level just the same. Add some more stumps, a few inches of ice, then take away the water, and have a chase on the surface through the canyon on aerosans.

lake-kaindy-3%25255B3%25255D.jpg