Should Indy V ignore KOTCS?

Raiders90

Am thinking:

The ending of KOTCS left Indy in a great bind with regard to further adventures. As of the end of KOTCS he:

-Has a troublesome son to deal with
-Is not merely a Professor, but Assistant Dean of the College, as such he would have more duties which might preclude the ability to leave for extended periods without question. Or, with a higher income, would preclude the need for further adventures to supplement his income. Plus, while he could sully his name as a Professor, if he sullies his name as Assistant Dean he gets the boot from the College.
-Has a wife.

I personally don't want a repeat of the Jones Family baggage that bogged down KOTCS. As much as I like it, I wouldn't mind it being ignored or its events being handwaved in some way if it would result in a less tied-down, more back-to-roots-albeit-older Indy. What say you?

Randy_Flagg

I don't think they should pretend KOTCS didn't happen, but I do think it will be easy enough to come up with a story that doesn't get bogged down by the events of KOTCS.

He has a troublesome son to deal with
Mutt will be a fully grown man by the time of Indy 5. There's really no reason Indy has be dealing with him. In fact, I think it's very unlikely Mutt would be living with Indy and Marion anymore. Also, he will have presumably matured somewhat in the years since KOTCS, so he won't be as troublesome.

-Is not merely a Professor, but Assistant Dean of the College, as such he would have more duties which might preclude the ability to leave for extended periods without question.
He could be retired in Indy 5, for all we know. He'll certainly be the age for it.
But even if he's not, the story could be set up so that he's basically abducted into the adventure (kind of like what happened in TOD.)

He has a wife
I think it's easy enough to come up with a story in which Indy is on an adventure by himself, without necessarily killing off Marion. If, for example, he's on a dig site at the start of the film, and then gets whisked away by the villains, there would be no reason for Marion to be there. Of course, it means he probably won't get a new love interest, but I can live without that. I could imagine them giving him a young sidekick (a student?) and possibly giving that character a love interest. (they could work some comedy into that, by having the student asking Indy for relationship advice. If handled properly, it could end up being funny.)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I think it's more a matter of sidestepping than handwaving. A couple of them could even be turned into assets.

1.) I'm guessing Mutt's going to get a mention, but not going to appear. He's away at school, or in the army, or something. LaBeouf definitely still has a career, but this sort of project would seem to not be where his interests lie. Seeing how Disney steered away from the contents of <I>Star Wars</I> later, less loved installments, I expect Mutt will be treated similarly, to the mutual satisfaction of the actor, the company, and, possibly, a Spielberg put off by LaBeouf's later comments.

2.) The fortunate thing here is that nobody really knows what an Associate Dean does or remember that he's made one in an easily missed visual at the end of Indy IV. Also, Marshall probably has more than one associate dean. Maybe Indy's the dean of anthropology or humanities; maybe he's a dean for fundraising purposes. Maybe it's not much more than a title and a pay bump. Maybe it involves him overseeing an affiliated museum, which we can likely assume exists, now that Brody's been retconned into a dean of students. (Or maybe Marcus lost his job at the museum over something Indy did, which seems conceivable, and managed to land softly at Marshall.) It needn't interfere with his going abroad, and maybe even facilitates it, for overseas lecturing or museum business (like repatriation, if we're lucky).

3.) Indy being married can be an asset. It frees us from having another half-baked romance that, Raiders aside, has never been a primary interest or strength of the series. Marion needn't be along for the ride; she can be home. Or maybe she's gone abroad with Indy on some professional business and gets included for a sequence. Her existence, as with in Crystal Skull, offers the opportunity to have a different sort of woman featured in the supporting cast. Maybe she's a capable student and protege, maybe she's a strong Katherine Hepburn-type like in the Monkey King script, maybe she's something else entirely.

Duaner

Agreed that Marion and Mutt only need brief mentions. Mutt should be in the military (if set in the right year, maybe he is in Vietnam). Marion needs to stay home to watch after the daughter that we saw in the Young Indy bookends (who due to the ages of Indy/Marion is a good bet to be an adopted daughter). No need to mention Ox or Stanforth. We never learn what happened to Short Round and Willie, so the fate of Ox and Stanforth surely shouldn't matter to us. But a wife and son cannot just be ignored.

Hanselation

For a good story it is okay to ignore KotCS

For me they don't have to care about Indy4-KotCS. It's will just be an entertaining movie and if there is a need for a good Indy 5-story to ignore KotCS .....Why not?!:hat:

Udvarnoky

Indy 5 should take place during Indy 4, specifically between the destruction of Akator and the wedding so we can find out why the FBI went from considering Indy Of Great Interest to Of Passing Interest, At Best. Bet there's a whole movie there.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Udvarnoky said:
Indy 5 should take place during Indy 4, specifically between the destruction of Akator and the wedding so we can find out why the FBI went from considering Indy Of Great Interest to Of Passing Interest, At Best. Bet there's a whole movie there.

If it starts with a scene where Indy misses the plane that Marion, Mutt, and Oxley are taking home, you may have something there.

Major West

Udvarnoky said:

Probably because they couldn't find any evidence that he was a bad guy. I don't think there's any great mystery there. ;)