Making original Young Indy Chronicles available to everyone... any ideas?

Lambonius

Adamwankenobi said:
Is anyone still interested in doing this? If not, I'm considering checking into those bootleg DVD sets of the original episodes that show up on young indy-related google searches. Does anyone know what the quality of those are?

I bought the official DVDs of volume one the day they came out, and it has been frustrating to see the show in such high quality, but from inferior edits. :(

I asked around about this a while back, and was led to believe that the quality of those bootleg dvds would be rather poor, like VHS or worse, but I don't know for sure, since complete and utter lack of funds has made taking the gamble on ordering them all but impossible. Personally, I think it'd be worth it, as long as the series was there in its entirety as originally aired (and edited,) especially considering that the price of the bootleg set is considerably less than the newly-released official set. I could care less about legality.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
I just bought a new computer and I can't make my tv card work. I have a Cinergy 600 internal card and it produces only audio. It must have something to do with the VGA. It's been probling me for three weeks now. If anyone can help me with that I'd be oblidged. I'll let you know.

Adamwankenobi

A few days ago, I submitted a message to the official Indiana Jones MySpace page, in which I asked Lucasfilm if they could possibly release the original episodes of YIJC on DVD one day. I explained to them briefly how I miss the George Hall bookends and the opening credit sequence. To drive the point home, I included a YouTube link to the last few minutes of "London, May 1916". :whip:

Though the comment was submitted successfully, I saw that comments have to be approved before they're posted. Needless to say, my comment wasn't approved. :( But at least someone at Lucasfilm (whoever runs the official IJ MySpace account) viewed the message, and may have mentioned it to someone else. And you know how that goes. :)

Last edited:

Stoo

1 - Curse of the Jackal
2 - London 1916/Vienna 1908
3 - Verdun 1916/Austria 1917
4 - German East Africa 1916/Congo 1917
5 - Somme 1916/Germany 1916
6 - Barcelona 1917/British East Africa 1909

fommes

Did this project ever come through? A great pity if it didn't, I would just love to have the original episodes on DVD. I've only taped a few episodes of it back in my youth, and it has been ages since I've seen them. I've been waiting for them, hoping they would get on the DVD release. I'll undoubtedly buy the DVDs -they're not out yet in the Benelux...- but I really want to see them again in their original format.
I like the idea of putting them chronologically, as they did in the edited versions, and creating some coherence, but the 'flashback' factor in the old episodes is so much more interesting structurally and narratively.

KillerKellerjr

fommes said:
Did this project ever come through? A great pity if it didn't, I would just love to have the original episodes on DVD. I've only taped a few episodes of it back in my youth, and it has been ages since I've seen them. I've been waiting for them, hoping they would get on the DVD release. I'll undoubtedly buy the DVDs -they're not out yet in the Benelux...- but I really want to see them again in their original format.
I like the idea of putting them chronologically, as they did in the edited versions, and creating some coherence, but the 'flashback' factor in the old episodes is so much more interesting structurally and narratively.

Digging up an old thread. I have this DVD set with bookends. I believe I got it from yijc.net or yijc.com. Did a 2 part trade with someone for them. They are well done and rips from TV recordings or VHS rips with bookends, DVD menus and I think a disc with the artwork if you wanted to make a case for each DVD. Is this type of trading allowed on here? If so I'd be willing to negotiate a trade if someone is interested. Sorry if this is not allowed. PM me.

Posting here, I am also interested in seeing the original episodes again. Though I did like the movie versions as well. (I thought the format fit better in some cases.)

ThrowMeTheWhip

Glad to see some interest.

I do have some of the series on the rare Australian VHS, and still a bit more of it on the rare Japanese laserdisc, though that one has Japanese subtitles.

If I can get hands on a PAL VCR, I'd be willing to rip the 4 episodes I have on VHS. I have 15 episodes on Laserdisc that I'm willing to rip as well.

Not sure yet how I'd want to distribute these. I've also considered recutting the episodes using the DVD as master source.

Would be interested in hearing other's input.

micsteam

I have the Japanese LD set as well, I never had a Laser Disc player in my life and purchased one just to view these, they are nice !! I'm working to finish " video capturing " each episode to a video file to burn them to DVD. I have 5 episodes so far, it's very time consuming and I mostly don't have the time but if people are interested I will continue the project. These are direct rips from 4.3 aspect to DVD so most people will be watching these " in a box " if you get my meaning. :hat:

InexorableTash

I'm interested in acquiring these at some point. Would prefer no further editing (e.g. not inserting elements from the DVD releases) in order to analyze them in their original form.

ThrowMeTheWhip

InexorableTash said:
I'm interested in acquiring these at some point. Would prefer no further editing (e.g. not inserting elements from the DVD releases) in order to analyze them in their original form.

Wouldn?t be adding anything, just sourcing higher quality images from the DVDs. The Laserdiscs are quite fuzzy and covered in very obtrusive subtitles.

InexorableTash

The DVDs were altered from the broadcast version in subtle ways, such as updated digital matte paintings.

I'm not saying such an edit would be a bad idea, but it would not be as useful as a research tool.

Stoo

micsteam said:
it's very time consuming...
I know, eh? :) Which reminds me...I still owe you a couple of DVDs! :eek::eek:

ThrowMeTheWhip said:
Wouldn’t be adding anything, just sourcing higher quality images from the DVDs.
It's a lot of work, though, as several "Adventures of" versions have entire scenes deleted and some individual shots either digitally altered, replaced, deleted or arranged in different order. Plus, a couple of the American ABC broadcasts deleted certain parts (compared with Canadian CTV airings).

Luckily, I've already documented all (?) of the differences:
Scenes Cut From VHS/DVD Films
Missing/Extra Young Indy Scenes

As most folks here know, my collection is fully complete (minus a couple of glitches) from my own home VHS recordings and 2 trades in the late '90s for the 4 "Euro" episodes & the 4 Family Channel movies. Not to mention I also have fair amount of bonus material. All recorded on SP (highest quality VHS speed) and mostly with stereo sound.

Tash said:
I'm not saying such an edit would be a bad idea,...
For the full experience, there would have to be 2 versions! :eek:

Last edited: