What Fedora Do You Own?

Which Fedora Do You Own

• Total voters

tpeterson06

The Penman Hat

I've had three. The first was a Todds/Coyle's Downtowner - which while good was not quite the shape I was looking for. The next hat I bought was some higher quality ( maybe Stetson?? ) Indiana Jones licensed one, which I still will wear on occasion.

However, once I bought up to a Penman, I knew I had found my hat for life. John Penman makes a stunningly beautiful perfect hat. The quality is evident even when viewed at a distance. The version I chose was his "Temple" in 100% beaver.

First off I must say that total screen accuracy is not as important to me as I love the era as well as Indiana Jones - along with others such as Bogart, etc...

Having said that, John Penman's hat are the MOST screen accurate I've ever seen. From the moment you put it on - which is made just for you - the fit slides right on like an old friend and it just looks like the "Jones" hat you see on the screen. It is rich in brown beaver, the hat band is actual vintage ribbon, and the shape is classic spot on.

I can recommend Penman hats to any fedora fan out there who wants that perfect hat that they will wear for life. John is a very knowledgable and easy guy to work with, we had a couple of phone discussions on what I wanted and about 4 months later he sent me a message it was complete.

Let me just say that the 4 months are worth it!!!

micsteam

John is absolutely the best !!! I'm soo glad you're happy with your hat. John Penman is very passionate about his craft and the quality shows !! When you guys are ready (this goes to all members and readers of this thread) to purchase a fedora you need to ask yourself why do you want to purchase a fedora, Indy or otherwise ?? Is it just to have a knick knack momento or do you really want a screen accurate representation or to purchase a stylish piece of our past ?? Please do not take this the wrong way, I am not judging anybody for what their financial expenses will allow (I'm in the ditches with you too) but sometimes (if you are passionate about what you want) saving for the right hat ( in this case the correct term is fedora) and using this forum and some others will point you to the right direction of someone who brings back a piece of our fashion history that has been lost for sometime. I've personally dealt with John and he is quite aknowledgable and very passionate about what he does, you won't be dissapointed !!! Also I have dealt with Steve Delk at Adventurebilt Hat Company and he is excellent, I own a Raiders fedora made by him and it is a piece of art as well. I mean afterall Steve Delk made the hats for Crystal Skull, he's that good !! Anybody that has any questions please feel free to pm me or ask here on the thread, I'll do the best I can to help.(y)

micsteam

If you check the members graph above this thread it looks like 22 members own the Dorfman Pacific hat that you have. It is widely sold on the internet and I beleive through Lucasfilm as well as the Disney parks. I live near Disney World where the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular is at Disney Studios and they are popular.:hat:

Mr. Fusion

I recently purchased a Garrison SOC style Raiders hat in rabbit felt. I am very much looking forward to getting it. This is going to be a tough couple of months wait.

micsteam

Mr. Fusion you will be very happy with your purchase, Mr. Garrison is a fine hat maker. I belong to Club Obi Wan and he has quite a following there and I've personally seen his work and he makes an exceptional hat !!!

Indy Scout 117

ok i have a question...i have bought several fedoras i use on outdoor adventures, and ive had one problem with all of them: they can get ruined in the rain. they are all wool felt. what can make a good Indy fedora not get ruined in the rain?

(im afraid someone is going to say "fur felt hats arent going to get ruined" but they are super expensive! :hat: )

InexorableTash

Indy Scout 117 said:
ok i have a question...i have bought several fedoras i use on outdoor adventures, and ive had one problem with all of them: they can get ruined in the rain. they are all wool felt. what can make a good Indy fedora not get ruined in the rain?

(im afraid someone is going to say "fur felt hats arent going to get ruined" but they are super expensive! :hat: )

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this!" "Then don't do that."

I believe you have your answer. Fur is more resilient - at least, you can take it to a haberdasher and have it re-shaped.

There are some waterproofing materials, but I don't know if anyone who cares enough has tried one on a wool fedora.

HenryJunior

Unless somebody knows of some strange alternative, invest in Fur Felt. Even a cheaper mix like the Standard FEDIV is vastly better than a wool Hat.

Spectre

I own two.
The first I ever got over a decade ago---was an Akubra Federation. Still have it, and love it!
My second, is a Todd's Downtowner--lover that one, too.

S. Dakota Jones

Got my first fedora the other day, a Todd's downtowner. :hat:

Still plan on getting a beaver fedora someday....just like I know I'm going to end up getting a Wested AND a Todd's jacket, just a matter of which one first(which is what I'm debating now).

Sea Monarch

Always loved the look of the 30's-40's period, not only because of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Wore my first fedora's even in Jr. High, and to the premiere of Last Crusade. First Fedora I could get my hands on, was a Berman's Brown Leather Fedora. Though I loved this hat, always wished I could find a more screen accurate hat back then. Later on, I have owned 2 of the $40-$50 Wool felt Indy licensed hats, and one Beaver fur Indy licensed hat. Planning on buying more hats, and more screen accurate hats, soon. ;)

indyclone25

S. Dakota Jones said:
Got my first fedora the other day, a Todd's downtowner. :hat:

Still plan on getting a beaver fedora someday....just like I know I'm going to end up getting a Wested AND a Todd's jacket, just a matter of which one first(which is what I'm debating now).
if you like the look from raiders , i suggest a todd's jacket, it looks some spot for the beginning of raiders as indy is looking for the idol ....(y)

Tibor

Herbert Johnson x3 (1984ish, 1987ish, 1989ish)
Herbert Johnson - Fedoraraiders SOC
Herbert Johnson - Magnoli rebash
Federation - Fedoraraiders SOC
Penman's
Steele and Jones x2
Garrison

:hat:

kongisking

Still lament the fact people my age can't wear a fedora in public and not look like a doofus. Stupid fashion standards changing through the ages...:(

Mickiana

kongisking said:
Still lament the fact people my age can't wear a fedora in public and not look like a doofus. Stupid fashion standards changing through the ages...:(

Don't subscribe to the dictates of popular culture and just do what you want to do. :hat: