Ah, Venice...

Grisu

Thx Henry W Jones :D

Goodeknight, thx for compliments. Concerning the stained glass from the movie I have one. Not 1:1 but big enough to make pictures of it and then with Photoshop adapted :p

JuniorJones thx for posting my painting. They was made by my best Frend for this event. (The other guy that was on the pictures)

Best Regards
Grisu

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Grisu said:
Thx Henry W Jones :D

Goodeknight, thx for compliments. Concerning the stained glass from the movie I have one. Not 1:1 but big enough to make pictures of it and then with Photoshop adapted :p

JuniorJones thx for posting my painting. They was made by my best Frend for this event. (The other guy that was on the pictures)

Best Regards
Grisu

They are lovely illustrative pieces that deserved a little bit more exposure.

russds

Nice! Did you happen to speak to any locals about the LC filming? When i was there in 2001, i had a short conversation with a guy at an ice cream shop. Through broken English and heavy accent, all that was pretty much discussed was that much of the stuff i was looking for wasn't actually there any more it was built for the movie, and that when they came it was a big production, lots of people and traffic.

Such a neat place to go though. Almost like a giant, life sized, amusement park ride.

Stoo

Venice

At long, long last...I'M FINALLY GOING TO VENICE!(y) My girlfriend & I have been vacationing in Italy every summer since 2001 but never managed to do Venice for one reason or another. She has been there twice before but it'll be my 1st time this coming weekend!

As Stimpson J. Cat would say:
"I'm so excited, I can hardly contain myself!"

Naturally, I'll be looking out for all of the filming locations of "Moonraker".:p

---
Mods, it was hard to choose which Venetian thread to post in, hence this new one. Maybe merge 'em all together?

Ah, Venice...
Ah?Venice!
Ahhhh Venice
Location visit: Last Crusade Venice

Goodeknight

Good for you, Stoo!! "Moonraker" made me laugh.

My wife and I spent about half a day in Venice. LOVED the city, and wished we'd planned a lot more time there. Hadn't done much research before, so the Library was the only Indy spot we looked for specifically.

Look forward to hearing about it after, and seeing some pics.

Lance Quazar

When are you going??

I'm heading there before the year's end myself.

Would love to hear feedback about what you loved/discovered/enjoyed (and what you didn't!)

Stoo

Attila: Thanks for the merge, Maestro.:hat:

Lance: Will be there in 2 days and staying for 3.5 days but this year's Italian vacation is 3 weeks total. Will report any interesting discoveries after the return in September.

Goodie: When & what time of year did you go? Several people (including our own, Le Saboteur) have warned that summer is the worst time to visit. Too many tourists and too hot but I don't care. Just glad to be going!

Indiana Jones sites have been well documented here and is exactly why The Raven is so great. Not to mention the Young Indy places which MDew found on his recent Italian odyssey. Believe or not, I will also be looking for "Moonraker" locations.:eek:

One thing I want try to do is give my girlfriend a flower on the foot bridge from "Crusade". She won't know why, though!:D

Goodeknight

Stoo said:
Goodie: When & what time of year did you go? Several people (including our own, Le Saboteur) have warned that summer is the worst time to visit. Too many tourists and too hot but I don't care. Just glad to be going!
Off season, so the weather was nice and it wasn't (too) crowded.

I recommend buying a bag of birdseed in St. Peter's Square, holding out your hands as still as a statue, and waiting for the attack.

In the square, I surprised my wife an anniversary ring, for a "diamond commercial" moment --- just as a live band at a cafe nearby started to play our song, "It Had to Be You." Coincidence? Perhaps.....

Stoo said:
One thing I want try to do is give my girlfriend a flower on the foot bridge from "Crusade". She won't know why, though!:D
Won't know why?!? Since you're going to Venice, you should certainly be able to convince her to watch LC with you. It'll make the Venice tour much more enjoyable for you both. (Of course if you do watch it together, the flower is no longer a good idea, but a necessity....)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Goodeknight said:
Won't know why?!? Since you're going to Venice, you should certainly be able to convince her to watch LC with you. It'll make the Venice tour much more enjoyable for you both. (Of course if you do watch it together, the flower is no longer a good idea, but a necessity....)

I think that might work the other way around, honestly.

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
Several people (including our own, Le Saboteur) have warned that summer is the worst time to visit. Too many tourists and too hot but I don't care. Just glad to be going!

You keep dragging me into these things...

Venice is going through something of a revival. Which is hard to do when you receive something in the neighborhood of 25-million visitors a year, but after years (decades?) of catering to tourists whims the local restaurants are really digging back into their roots. So while there are plenty of tourist traps around, your chances of getting a good meal are infinitely better. It's been a few years, but here's a couple of places I remember and liked:

1.) Harry's Bar

The drinks are fabulously overpriced, but it's worth it for the history. Hemingway was a client, and it's become something of a sport to see how many bars of the same bars he got sauced in that I can visit. You can also have lunch, but it's definitely going to put a dent in your wallet. I believe I spent ~$270 for three people, not including tip.

* - I saw something a year ago about the bar having financial troubles, but I don't remember the final outcome.

2.) Pizzeria La Perla

It's out by the city's lone movie theatre, and is worth a visit for the myriad of Italian movie posters dating back forever it seems. The selection is massive -- over fifty I believe -- and I've been on an unhurried quest to sample as many pizzerias throughout Italy as I can. The locals seem to love it too. It doesn't compare to their more Southern cousins due to a city wide ban on wood fired ovens, but it's still damn good.

3.) Osteria Alle Testiere

It has, like, twenty seats. So chances are it'll be luck if you can get a seat, but it's well, well worth it. All seafood, all the time. Whatever they get at the market at that day.

Of note: I don't remember this elsewhere in Italy, but Venetian bars have three(?) tier price list on their drinks. Standing at the bar is cheapest; sitting at the bar, next cheapest; occupying a table is naturally the most expensive.

With only 3.5 days planned, I don't have much to offer that a good guidebook can't tell you. It's your first trip, so line up with the crush of humanity and take in the sights along the Basillica-Accademia corridor.

Oh, and do visit Caffe Flor or Quadri. Which depends on your politics, but I won't give that game away. Have ice cream.

After you visit the Bridge of Sighs, visit the Ponte della Tette for a bit of juvenalia! Look for Kronos, too. The Arsenal is a must visit as well.

I know I've mentioned this before, but I do implore you to pick up a copy of The Secret Venice of Corto Maltese. Dr. Jones is a horrible guide to Venice. It's difficult to get stateside, but every bookstore in the city should carry a copy in multiple languages. If you have the time, take one of the walks early in the morning or late in the evening.

corto-maltese-si-riposa.jpg

See if you too can translate the creation myth for the city's cats.

Stoo

Professor Jones said:
The whole chase is actually shot in England, but the last sequence (from when Indy recovers Kazim on Elsa's boat and they reach the dock together) is shot in Venice.
A) The first part, in which you see a bridge on the background, is shot on a canal that borders the Molino Stucky Palace, that's a palace that is now used as a Hilton Hotel, and it was destroyed by a great fire in the nineties and then rebuilted just as it was once.
You can see this characteristic building (easily recognizeable by his red bricks and his pair of windows in rows) when Indy's boat make a turn on the canal.
Good to know because that's the hotel we're staying at!(y)
Goodeknight said:
In the square, I surprised my wife an anniversary ring, for a "diamond commercial" moment --- just as a live band at a cafe nearby started to play our song, "It Had to Be You." Coincidence? Perhaps.....
Wow, what a special moment that must have been. You're a real Romeo! Ah, Venice...
=Goodeknight said:
I'll be bringing a DVD of "Crusade" with me but, honestly, she is sick & tired of Indiana Jones so his name is mentioned as little as possible. As Attila said, it'll be better if she doesn't know the reason behind the flower.:eek:
Le Saboteur said:
You keep dragging me into these things...
Hey, man, you're a fountain of knowledge & travel experience. Why wouldn't I tap you as a resource?:D Thanks a lot for the recommendations. Harry's Bar, I already knew about but will try to investigate everything else you've mentioned.

Arrivederci! :hat:

Stoo

Venice - August 2014

Venice is a truly magical place but, boy, was it HOT!!!:eek:

59006849-2426-4387-8a52-fd01dc2ded94_zps2c91e944.jpg

The visit began with a boat chase!(y) As Le Saboteur told me, it would've made much more sense to go by train from The Switz but I'm glad that we didn't. From the airport, we rented a water-taxi for €120 ($155 U.S.) to get to our hotel and this was an exciting way to enter the city. Another motorboat was always behind us so every time I looked astern, the music from "Crusade" was playing in my head!

Venice_Boat_02_small_zps8a64cc5e.jpg

Our taxi took a shortcut through the heart of Venice to reach our hotel, the Hilton Molina Stucky (which used to be a gigantic flour mill and is seen, abandoned, in "Crusade"). It was on La Giudecca island so we used the hotel's shuttle to get across every day. Here was the wonderful view from the rooftop swimming pool:

Venice_HotelView_small_zps24299622.jpg

Straight off, we put our map away and avoided the main tourist areas in order to intentionally get lost in the back streets & alleyways. We walked aimlessly, exploring all sorts of nooks 'n' crannies (which abound without end). Very strange to see a bustling city without any cars around!

Venice_Stoo_01_small_zpsecacde45.jpg

No flowers sellers were to be found near the "Crusade" foot bridge but I did give my girl a rose in the Piazza San Marco at night. We also took a gondola ride through the back canals and whenever other people were taking pictures, we smooched like crazy for the benefit of their cameras! That was fun.:D (Advice: Hire a gondola in one of the back canals because the ride will be more private & silent).

6be0b578-078f-489d-b311-9c0c217480cc_zps24abaeda.jpg

Certain places can be expen$ive so, like Le Saboteur said, bring your wallet. We went to both the Caffè Quadri and the Caffè Florian. At the latter, the cost for 1 ice cream dish and 1 pot of tea = €35! That's $46 U.S. (€12 of that was cover charge for 2 people.)

Venice_IceCream_small_zps1cfe7a69.jpg

Apparently, the water level is high this year so the Caffè Quadri staff warned us to leave before the tidal flood came in (at about 10:30 PM). The Piazza San Marco is the lowest point in Venice so the water was bubbling up through the drains. 'Twas a surreal experience as the plaza quickly became a giant, infinity pool!

Venice_Flood_small_zps1db7f032.jpg

WORTHWHILE PERIPHERALS:
Eastern end of Venezia: It actually has trees & gardens! A serene scene, plus a superb monument dedicated to Garibaldi (& if you're interested in him, it's worth checking out). Plus, the Arsenal is there.

Murano Island: The island of glass-blowing. If you're going to buy any glass-blown stuff, the prices there are much less than in downtown Venice. Restaurant recommendations are: Fornace, as well as Trattoria ai Frati.

The Lido: Another island has a long beach that stretches as far as the eye can see. We waded through lapping waves, quietly collecting colourful seashells which glistened in the sunlight. Nice…

La Giudecca Island: It has some nice waterfront restaurants with wide views of the Venetian skyline…as well as some sublime sunsets:

Venice_Sunset_01_small_zpse045a84d.jpg

IMPORTANT ADVICE:
HARRY'S BAR HAS A DRESS CODE. We couldn't stay due to my knickers (so wear long pants, Lance)! The room is tiny but I imagined Hemingway at the bar during our 30 seconds inside. Very cool, even for just for a peek.:cool:

GET A HOTEL NEAR THE WATERFRONT. You don't want to schlep your luggage over all the footbridges to get to to your hotel. We saw loads of people doing this and felt sorry for them, especially in the crazy heat!

DO NOT VISIT IN AUGUST. Too hot, too many tourists* and too many restaurants were closed for their August holidays. Pizzeria la Perla was shut down for the month. Another restaurant (Osteria Cà D'Oro alla Vedova) was supposed to have the best meatballs in Venice but it was closed for the holidays, too.

*The really annoying kind. Tourists who keep wearing their backpacks during crowded water-bus rides, block doorways while looking at their maps, take too long posing for pictures at popular sites, etc.(n)

---
UP NEXT:
"Crusade" locations...both old & NEW discoveries!:D

Last edited:

Lance Quazar

Stoo said:
IMPORTANT ADVICE:
HARRY'S BAR HAS A DRESS CODE. We couldn't stay due to my knickers (so wear long pants, Lance)! The room is tiny but I imagined Hemingway at the bar during our 30 seconds inside. Very cool, even for just for a peek.:cool:

Thanks for the lovely pictures and the great suggestions. We are deep in the research process, so all of this is very valuable!

However, your warning is unnecessary, as I never wear shorts!*

And we'll be going in November, so I hope the sweltering heat of summer will have long since dissipated.

*Okay, fine, I did wear shorts one of my three days in Disney World with Inky and his family. But that was probably the first and only time in at least five years. ;)

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
The visit began with a boat chase!(y) As Le Saboteur told me, it would've made much more sense to go by train from The Switz but I'm glad that we didn't. From the airport, we rented a water-taxi for €120 ($155 U.S.)...

Sucker. Ferrovia Santa Lucia has water taxis as well. It would have set you back about €55 from the station to Piazza San Marco, and you would have gotten to see more of the city from the water.*

* - It's a tradeoff, though. Venice is one of the very few places that still have a real sense of place. Thomas Mann's quote about sneaking in through the backdoor of a palace is still apt. Or was that Henry James? I never remember.

Stoo said:
Very strange to see a bustling city without any cars around!

It's one of my favorite parts of the city! It took a little while to figure out what was missing in the overall atmosphere, but once you do it's really fantastic.

Stoo said:
WORTHWHILE PERIPHERALS:

I'll add a couple of things to this list.

Gianni Basso
Cannaregio 5306, Calle del Fumo, 30121
Vaporetto stop Fondamente Nove

I stumbled across this place in the early aughts after getting a haircut. It was late, the street was dimly lit, and I stepped into the doorway to get better look at my watch. I was about to step away when something caught my eye through the door -- an antique printing press! Turns out it was around two hundred years old, and Signore Basso has been turning out business cards, calling cards, and other paper ephemera for about twenty years. His shop is tiny. He doesn't have email or a mobile phone and most of his business is done through the mail. It's also expensive. A box of 100 business cards is around €150. The craftsmanship is superb, however, and he's kept me supplied ever since then.

Venice's paper goods are superb. Top flight even. You wouldn't be remiss in picking up some stationary or something.

Sant'Erasmo Island: The other islands get all the attention for the high quality crafts, but this one is the province's breadbasket. The produce from this island is outstanding. If you're into cooking it's not to be missed.

Squero San Travoso: This is one of the remaining gondola manufacturers in the city, and well worth the €25 to check out the workshop.

Stoo said:

I thought this was a given? Adults don't wear knickers/shorts unless they're engaged in some sort of sport! Though, I guess it gives you a reason to go back.

Stoo said:
GET A HOTEL NEAR THE WATERFRONT. You don't want to schlep your luggage over all the footbridges to get to to your hotel. We saw loads of people doing this and felt sorry for them, especially in the crazy heat!

Pack lighter is my advice. People already bring way too much for a couple of weeks. You only really need a handful of outfits that you can mix and match. It is worth noting that Venice has done the proper and sane thing by banning those horrible wheeled suitcases that plague our airports. Starting in May of 2015, visitors will be slapped with be slapped with a €500 (about $665) fine for daring to bring the abominations into the city.

Venice City Council said:
The rules respond to the needs of many residents who have complained to the authorities in recent years about serious discomfort in their homes linked to the movement of goods at times protected by legislation such as at night and in the early morning. There are also numerous worrying signs of deterioration and wear to paving stones and bridges previously unharmed for hundreds of years.

Full article here.

But back to hotels for a moment. I've stayed in quite a few over the years, and the Hotel Saturnia, the Centurion Palace, and Gritti Palace are probably my Top 3. The Hotel Saturnia would get the nod over the other two if you were insistent on an actual hotel. I've been experimenting with B&B's lately, and stayed here the past couple of times. The main location is right around the corner from Piazza San Marco, but just far enough away that there aren't any tourists around. They also have a second place down near the Arsenal.

Stoo said:
DO NOT VISIT IN AUGUST. Too hot, too many tourists* and too many restaurants were closed.

Agreed. Go in the early part of the year before Carnivale or late in the Fall.

Lance Quazar said:
And we'll be going in November, so I hope the sweltering heat of summer will have long since dissipated.

I guess I was too late to provide an assist then. Trip report!

Le Saboteur

For anybody with a yen to visit in the near future, one might wish to consider going next year. Starting on the 29th of March 2016 with the opening ceremony, Venice's Jewish Ghetto will be celebrating its 500th Anniversary!

025482_130415051410.jpg

And then beginning in April through November, the neighborhood will host numerous concerts and lectures followed up with a historical retrospective & exhibit at the Doge's Palace. The highlight of the event will be the first ever staging of Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice on the 26th of July in the neighborhood's man piazza!

Simon Worrall said:
As a city of merchants and dealmakers, was Venice less hostile, less anti-Semitic to Jewish moneylending than other European cities?

The fact that Venice accepted the Jews, even if it was by ghettoizing them, made it, by definition, more open and less anti-Semitic than many other countries. England, for example, would not allow Jews on its territory at the time. Venice had a very pragmatic approach that allowed it to prosper by accepting, within certain limits, merchants from all over the world, even including Turks from the Ottoman Empire, which was Venice?s enemy. This eventually created mutual understanding and tolerance. In that sense, Venice was a multiethnic city ahead of London and many others.

Full article: The Centuries Old History of Venice's Jewish Ghetto

Joosse

Excellent tip, Saboteur! (y)

My girlfriend and I might be taking a trip to Italy next year, but we are still very much in the planning stage. So it might still not happen.

I was just wondering, what language will the merchant of Venice be performed in?

Le Saboteur

Joosse said:
I was just wondering, what language will the merchant of Venice be performed in?

No idea. Given the stated desire for an international cast and English's position as the lingua franca of our wondrous modern age, I would suggest English. Doesn't hurt that Shakespeare is an English playwright.

Compagnia di' Colombari has been tasked with putting on the play, but the website hasn't been updated with any pertinent details. They do appear to have done a fair amount of work in New York.

You can find a list over here (.pdf) with all the associated workshops and lectures leading up to the performance as well. Most everybody appears to be from Blighty. (With the token American, German, and Hungarian!)

All events will take place on the island of San Giorgio Maggiore at the Cini Arts Foundation.

Day-5-Venice-Gondola-Ride.jpg

Venice is appealing for many reasons. High on that list for me is its relationship with the sea, and while I've scooted about the canals in many a watercraft I have yet to try my hand at rowing yet. Perhaps you can be the first here to try traditional Venetian rowing lessons! The ladies here seem like a good place to start.