Hot Sauce

The Drifter

I am bored, and figured I would make a topic.
Do you use hot sauce? If so, what brand do you use, and what on?

I use Texas Pete mostly, and I put it on everything. I just put it on some pizza.

adventure_al

ah... another american thing. We don't get 'hot sauce' as such here. I love anything spicy though and use spicy chilli sauce on stuff quite a bit. Its good to put through a stir fry as well, gives it a kick.

Agent Z

Texas Pete is fine. I also like Tabasco.

My favorite though is Frank's Red Hot sauce. I put that on damn near everything: spaghetti, burgers, mexican (people, yes), eggs, pizza and on and on..... :whip:

metalinvader

Hot sauce goes great on anything.Lately,I've been eating my cheez-its with hot sauce poured all over them.

Good stuff!

Indy fan 235

No hot sauce for me. I have a real sensitive stomach, so anything spicy just kills me. Always wanted to try the stuff, but I know later on I'd be in agony.:dead:

fixer79

My current favourites are sweetened chili sauce, Tabasco, Sambal Oelek, Harissa and HP Spicy Woodsmoke flavoured Hot BBQ sauce.

Yummy... :)

Agent Crab

I got some hotsauce called "Caribbean Jerk". Pretty damn hot. I got it at a place called "Buffalo Wings". However, I like any kind of hotsauce. Put it on some ribs or chicken for me. I am game.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Nothing extremely hot. I do like the odd medium salsa for corn chips and have contests with friends as to how long we can last eating corn ships with medium hot salsa without having a drink.... I usually win. Marion Ravenwood may be able to drink anyone under the table, but I can out-sauce anyone. Though my stomach doesn't like it very much the next day...

Anyway, my favourite is Sweet Thai Chilli. Sweet and just a bit peppery without the stomach issue. I was quite disappointed when I went to the States a couple of years back, that it wasn't a widely avaliable thing. You can get it with your chicken nuggets at McDonald's down here, so I thought it would have been the same. Of course, the chick at the counter looked at me like I was crazy and realising that they didn't have any and it was an Australian thing, I said to her, 'You don't know what you're missing.'

So if you ever see it around, try it with chicken. It works really well. (y)

Dynamite XI

The local Mexican food joint makes its own tasty salsa, and it's quite blistering. I can't get enough of the stuff. (y)

And an occasional guilty pleasure of mine is the Taco Bell "Fire" sauce, although it's not the spiciest sauce I've ever tasted...

|ZiR|

I like putting a few dashes of tabasco sauce on vanilla ice cream.

It sounds gross because it is.

But it's also strangely good. Sweet and spicy, hot and cold -- all at the same time.

Agent Crab

|ZiR| said:
I like putting a few dashes of tabasco sauce on vanilla ice cream.

It sounds gross because it is.

But it's also strangely good. Sweet and spicy, hot and cold -- all at the same time.

Part of me wants to try that. This is comin' from someone who puts salt on their ice cream.

The Drifter

I have a group for fans of every type of hot sauce on Facebook. If anyone wishes to join just PM me here and I will send the link.

In other news-
My collection has grown to over 20 different brands and types. What type have you used last? For me it was Crystal.

Stoo

In Colorado this past summer, I bought a bottle of "Rubin's XXX Horsetooth Hot Sauce" with cayenne and habanero.

The label reads:
Not for the faint of heart, Rubin's XXX is a spicier, steamier, sizzlier version of Rubin's Red, our irresistible black pepper and garlic cayenne sauce. Rubin gets all fired up in this NC-17 version, tossing intense red habaneros into the mix for a tongue blasting heat that should come with a parental warning. Rubin's XXX - because one X just wasn't enough.

Haven't opened the bottle yet. I'm afraid to taste it!:eek:

The Drifter

Stoo said:
In Colorado this past summer, I bought a bottle of "Rubin's XXX Horsetooth Hot Sauce" with cayenne and habanero.

The label reads:
Not for the faint of heart, Rubin's XXX is a spicier, steamier, sizzlier version of Rubin's Red, our irresistible black pepper and garlic cayenne sauce. Rubin gets all fired up in this NC-17 version, tossing intense red habaneros into the mix for a tongue blasting heat that should come with a parental warning. Rubin's XXX - because one X just wasn't enough.

Haven't opened the bottle yet. I'm afraid to taste it!:eek:

That honestly made my taste buds water, Stoo!
I've never heard of that brand, but I am going to Google them here in a few. You should open the bottle, and take a small sniff (not a big one! May singe something :p ) and try a little taste. If you do please let me know how it was.

EDIT: I found their website, and may order me a few bottles. Thanks for letting me know about them.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Apart from the old Tabasco standby, this has been my favored sauce lately:

nagajolokia.jpg

Great flavor, and pretty substantial heat.

Kt Templar

Regular Tabasco doesn't do it for me anymore, I do like their habenero version that has a nice kick.

I tried some '100% Pain' hot sauce by dipping a tortilla chip in it. You know you are in trouble when you get that second of numbness before the heat hits. Took about 15 mins to subside.

The Drifter

Anyone try what I call Rooster Sauce? The real name is Sriracha sauce and it's made by Huy Fong Foods. It has great heat, and a garlic aftertaste. They also make a grand garlic chili sauce.

Just off the top of my head, I have the following and use them on a regular basis.

Texas Pete (also garlic), Crystal, Franks Red Hot (and thick version), Yucatan Sunshine, Tabasco (also chipotle), Dave's Insanity, Cholula, Sriracha (with garlic chili also), and about ten more than I have in my pantry.

EDIT: Never heard of that kinda before, Attila. I might have to look it up also. Man, my wife is going to kick my ass if I get even more bottles of hot sauce!