Whatcha playin? (Video games wise.)

The Drifter

Rocket Surgeon said:
So far I'm really into the WWII era, but the game trailer's review of Modern Warfare looks wicked.

What about them are better? They're longer? You like the battles towards the end of the war? Level design? Vehicles?

Tell you what, the chatter is amazing...the accents are great!

I liked Modern Warfare, but the Treyarch games just feel more epic to me. Call of Duty 3 is my favorite from the series. I just like the flow of the campaign. World at War is GREAT fun, and the battles with the Japanese hiding in the grass, jumping out swarming around you are awesome. But, that campaign was on the short side also.

The_Raiders

Le Saboteur said:
So you're one of those who helped it sell fifty-billion copies in 24-hours?

Lol sure was. Bought it first thing at the midnight release. The game is really really fun.

avidfilmbuff

I'm currently playing both New Super Mario bros for the wii and Super Castlevania on the virtual console. For next year, I'm extremely looking forward to Last Window, the sequel to Hotel Dusk: Room 215, which was in my opinion, the best game on the Nintendo DS.

Agent Crab

^ I played New Super Mario Wii at Gamestop. Truly an addicting, yet fun game. It's like Mario World and 3 Mixed into 1.

avidfilmbuff

A few months ago I purchased the game Bioshock but stopped playing it for a while, but I picked it up again and finished it a few days ago. Although I'm not a first person shooter fan, I picked it up because of it's Randian influenced storyline, and I must say it was extremely well done. Anyone who says that videogames cannot be art should really take a look at this one.

The Drifter

avidfilmbuff said:
A few months ago I purchased the game Bioshock but stopped playing it for a while, but I picked it up again and finished it a few days ago. Although I'm not a first person shooter fan, I picked it up because of it's Randian influenced storyline, and I must say it was extremely well done. Anyone who says that videogames cannot be art should really take a look at this one.

I must agree with you. That game is one of my favorites. That game is art IMO.

avidfilmbuff

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I must agree with you. That game is one of my favorites. That game is art IMO.

Yes it is. By the way, I know that Andrew Ryan is obviously based upon Ayn Rand herself. But is it me? Or did they add a little bit of Walt Disney to his character? Rapture itself seems to almost be a Randian Objectivist version of Disneyland.

The Drifter

avidfilmbuff said:
Yes it is. By the way, I know that Andrew Ryan is obviously based upon Ayn Rand herself. But is it me? Or did they add a little bit of Walt Disney to his character? Rapture itself seems to almost be a Randian Objectivist version of Disneyland.

I had the same thought as you when I played through the game. And, if my memory serves me correctly, Andrew Ryan even looked a bit like Walk Disney.
Bioshock 2 looks like it will continue that theme as there is an amusement park in Rapture that shows kids the evils of the above world through rides and attractions.

avidfilmbuff

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I had the same thought as you when I played through the game. And, if my memory serves me correctly, Andrew Ryan even looked a bit like Walk Disney.
Bioshock 2 looks like it will continue that theme as there is an amusement park in Rapture that shows kids the evils of the above world through rides and attractions.

Wow, imagine the rides. The Spiritual Mansion, Soviets of the Eastern Empire, Honey, I Taxed the Audience, Andrew Ryan's Enchanted laissez-faire room, and of course Rapture's most beloved ride, It's a Collectivist World After All.

Le Saboteur

The Saboteur comes out next Tuesday! Hopefully it'll be good since Pandemic Studios was shuttered just before Thanksgiving by EA. And if you buy it new, Pandemic is packing in a code that allows you to unlock something called "The Midnight Show"!

saboteurdlc.jpg

500x_s1-w800.jpg

Kotaku said:
But the game came with a card, on which was printed a redemption code for 'The Midnight Show', some free downloadable content. "Enter code for in-game topless dances, a game of chance, and rewards for every risk," the card stated.

Skulk over to Kotaku's site to read up on this free nudity DLC.

And any game with a "Pint and a shag" achievement can't be all bad, can it?

Finn

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
And any game with a "Pint and a shag" achievement can't be all bad, can it?
The reviews have been lukewarm so far, ranging from 6 to 8 (out of 10).

Seems like a typical non-GTA sandbox game, that's got a hook or two that's bound to make it a fun romp. But also got tons of things that are trying yet fall just a tad short.

It's just odd how no other studio than Rockstar actually seem to have an idea how to build a proper open-ended world. They're either shoddy one-trick ponies like Mercenaries 2 or Red Faction: Guerrilla (well, leveling stuff IS fun, but put your hands on your hearts, would any of you have given those titles a time of your day without those mechanics) or have the gameplay execution honed down to a brim, like Assassin's Creed, but in the process somebody seemed to forget adding in the actual game. Though what I've heard of part 2, it redeems a lot of its predecessor's false qualities... too bad the PC version is still a few months away.

I'll still probably give The Saboteur a spin when I find time, though I wonder when that might be. What little time I have for games right now is still hogged up by Dragon Age, and considering the amount of content in that one (still on my first playthough), it may yet take a while before I find a slot for anything else.

KiKi Kat

Finn said:
What little time I have for games right now is still hogged up by Dragon Age, and considering the amount of content in that one (still on my first playthough), it may yet take a while before I find a slot for anything else.

I'm also playin the Dragon Age. I got quite addicted to it. I even save at some points and reload to pick a different choice just to see what happens. I was really surprised how well the AI fightin was in the game. They actually take off quite a bit HP's. I have around 35 hours in the game and really haven't even done alot of the main quest. I love the side quests.

Finn

Staff member
KiKi Kat said:
I was really surprised how well the AI fightin was in the game. They actually take off quite a bit HP's.
Yeah, a mage with heals and crowd control spells is a staple member in your group otherwise there's going to be a ton of situations where you're bound to get your backside handed to ya.

It's kind of sad that while there are a ton of skills and spells to go around, many of the combat situations are still built around the concept of a tank and a healer, making you to miss a lot of party content since the game pretty much forces you to take Alistair and Wynne with you wherever you go. Only the fourth adventurer is up to your individual tastes depending on if you like DPS (Zevran), ranged (Leliana), an heavy hitter (Dog or Sten) or a bit more damage-dealing spells (Morrigan).

Sure, the party config is also dependent on your main PC giving you a bit of leeway (I think playing a mage yourself gives you most freedom on picking the rest of your buddies) but if you're a content hog like me who hates missing on a side quest, the chosen character is kind of a jack-of-all-trades rogue who knows something about everything yet is a master on very little things. Sure, I guess the point is to lock you out of some stuff for replays, but still...

Yet, no matter how crazy prepared you are, there are still points when you'll seriously have to rely on AI exploits to make it through the day. Step into a room with about ten werewolves that decide to use simultaneous overwhelm ability for three of your characters ten seconds into the fight? Unless you have some of the strongest CC spells available (like mass paralysis) you're pretty much forced to just stick your nose into the room little enough to only draw one or two enemies into an ambush and rinse and repeat 'til you're ready to carry on.

These are minor complaints however since situations like that are few and far between and most seemingly "impossible" fights only require a bit of tactical thinking and some prioritizing between your targets. And even yet still, you can give some stand-in abilities for certain characters if you really don't wish to bring the same party along all the time. While she's still no Wynne, a couple of healing buffs for Morrigan plus a bit of extra poultices in your pack should be enough to make it through almost anything even in case you decide to leave the elder spellcaster in the camp.

There's plenty of complaints concerning "unbalanced combat" all around the web but most of them come from folks who really haven't played this kind of game before. It's not a game for everyone, definitely. Which is also a pity in fact, since many people who are still taking baby steps into the combat system feel compelled by the story and from that point of view, I guess some of their griping is justified. Thankfully there is an easy mode, but it seems that with many cases, the gamers' pride takes over the common sense and they just can't seem to get over the fact that survival on nightmare seems to be a little too much for them, leading to some of the silliest rants. I like balance on all things so I'm using medium, so that there are fights that I can survive with nothing more than a bit of auto melee, down to difficulty spikes where you'll really have to think your approach, especially if you have a party setup chosen for plot not combat.

Le Saboteur

Finn said:
The reviews have been lukewarm so far, ranging from 6 to 8 (out of 10).

Seems like a typical non-GTA sandbox game, that's got a hook or two that's bound to make it a fun romp. But also got tons of things that are trying yet fall just a tad short.

It's just odd how no other studio than Rockstar actually seem to have an idea how to build a proper open-ended world. They're either shoddy one-trick ponies like Mercenaries 2...

Yeah, I've read as much. I'll see what the domestic press says before I make any formal purchase; despite the brilliance of Full Spectrum Warrior (the reason why I bought an X-Box), Mercs 2 was profoundly disappointing. Which is odd, 'cause the original release was far better than any of the GTA iterations up to that point. Part of me wonders if it wasn't the purchase by EA that sent quality down in order to meet a specific deadline.

Is it the inability to create a open-ended sandbox game, or is it attempting to shoe horn a incompatible idea into a sandbox? GTA is perfect for a sandbox-type game, as are true RPGs. And from what I've read, The Saboteur could use a little more direction. Time will tell. Maybe I'll request for a birthday present.

I was initially interested in Assassin's Creed, but opted out once I heard that you were 'reliving' an ancestor's life. Seems like a cop out. But again, that's without knowing the full story. I'm leaning towards picking up Part Deux just for the fact that you can run around a fully-rendered Venice.

On a related note, Ubisoft has announced the first two DLC packs for ACII. From 1Up.com:

1Up said:
Ubisoft has revealed the names of the first two Assassin's Creed II DLC packs. Continuing the franchise's general appreciation for history, both of the titles appear to refer to famous historical events that occurred in the 15th Century.

"Battle of Forli" will be the first DLC pack. While Ubisoft hasn't revealed any further details, the "battle" may refer to the infighting that followed the death of the lord Pino III in 1480. It's also notable that Forli was ceased by Visconti in 1488, and by Cesare Borgia in 1499.

Meanwhile, the second DLC is called "The Bonfire of the Vanities," which was the title of Tom Wolfe's most famous novel as well as a famous event that took place in 1497. It refers to the burning of thousands of objects that were thought to promote sin, such as cosmetics, art and books, by the supporters of the Dominican priest Girolamo Savonarola.

The first DLC pack will arrive in January, with the second being scheduled for February. Don't be surprised if the latter arrives February 7, which marks the 512th anniversary of the original burning.

Both DLC episodes will be available on the Xbox 360 and PS3. Expect more information soon.

Link here.

Finn

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
Is it the inability to create a open-ended sandbox game, or is it attempting to shoe horn a incompatible idea into a sandbox?
Hard to tell. As stated already, even a bit more fluidity into the controls could save a lot. Rockstar has managed to find a great touch into the vehicular controls since GTA III which is nearly a decade old, though the gunplay has always been simplistic, at least up until part IV which really manages to somewhat nail even that (note that I say somewhat, since while it still could be improved, it's a lot better than anything we've seen in the genre so far). Get those right, and even if the rest of the game really is just about explosions and little more explosions, it still could worth our time and, most importantly, our money.

I think Assassin's Creed was a great technical experience. Unlike those other examples, it really nailed the gameplay bits down. All the climbing, free-running and swordplay made for a great, fluid and cinematic experience. Altair was truly a joy to control. And the backdrops were great. Large, sprawling Middle Age cities with tons of pedestrians, lovely architecture and other little details.

But in the end, it lacked stuff to do. You had a handful of tasks the game forced you to repeat from the beginning to the end, and they all played out exactly the same. There were never any twists within the missions, any surprises or other variations, the AI run through the same lines and animations every damn time you pulled off a task. The story, that in actuality was nothing but a simulation run from the present, was not the largest fall point of the game. It was the lack of variety. Couple of hours in, one just lost interest in what kind of situation the game is going to present next, because you already knew. In fact, the story was in my opinion kind of clever, and it all being a simulation for once offered a plausible explanation for being able to take a sword to the gut and still keep on fighting, or how everyone in the Holy Land seems to speak modern-day English. As gamers, we're naturally able to suspend our disbelief from such things even without explanations given, but it was a nice idea nevertheless.

But eh. All this has very little to do with The Saboteur which I won't judge 'til I've actually played it. It seems that most reviews call it a bit stiff on the technical side, but I've yet to see one call the gameplay repetitive, so perhaps it'll be worth my time after all, since I've always been one who's able to enjoy a game despite a technical hiccup or two. All it just really takes is understanding what you can or can't do. Once that's down and clear, it's time to enjoy the content and possibilities, if there are any.

Ironclaw

Currently not playing anything new. I pulled my own Genesis out of mothballs and realized how few games I had for it. MK2 is still very entertaining.

I do have a list of games I was never able to finish, that may haunt me until the end of my days:

1) Odin Sphere for PS2--the slowdown and HELLA steep learning curve turned me off. It's a hack-and-slash RPG and I can't force myself to get through the first chapter.
2) Silent Hill 4; the Room for PS2--this game is absolutely horrible. Played 1/2 hour and decided not to waste anymore time with it.
3) Blade of Darkness for PC--I did get about halfway through before my savegame got corrupted (it would load and freeze). Being that the game is also hack-and-slash, but also has a steep curve, I'd rather not replay the 4+ hours I already put into it. Cheats don't help, because they improve your character, not his specific attacks, so you can be a level 30+ berserker with only level 1 attacks, which makes you worthless
4) GTA: San Andreas for PS2. Everything I see lauds this game as the best for PS2, but I don't find it as compelling as Vice City. Also the graphics on PS2 suffer from a lot of draw-in and difficulty in reading the map.

Downloaded the Lucasarts park (Fate of Atlantis, Last Crusade, Loom and The Dig) from Steam. Finished Atlantis, haven't tried the latter two. Not sure about everyone else, but Last Crusade gets on my nerves. There's absolutely no "flow" to the game. It's "search everything for everything, and take each item and rub it against something else." And heaven forbid if you miss something, then you have to trek all the way back to find something infinitiesmal. Ugh. Atlantis did it a little better.