Did they find the holy grail?

Dr._Jones

I remember a few years back watching the history channel about finding the holy grail. Many people claim it is in the support beam of a medieval church. The only problem was that the church wouldnt give anybody the oppurtunity to break open the beam. They scanned it and know theres something in there but there not allowed to open it. Another person claims to have a piece of it in there house and they use it to cure people locally by giving them drinks from it. I was wondering if anybody else knew any theories about where the holy grail is and if anybody knew any more on these two theories.

The_Raiders

Well I don't think there's such thing as a "holy grail" I mean they say it's the cup Jesus drank fro mat the last supper and if you drink from you live forever, yeah right! Jesus drank out of tons of cups in His life that would mean ther's lots of holy cups I guess. There's no holy grail. (n)

No Ticket

The_Raiders said:
Well I don't think there's such thing as a "holy grail" I mean they say it's the cup Jesus drank fro mat the last supper and if you drink from you live forever, yeah right! Jesus drank out of tons of cups in His life that would mean ther's lots of holy cups I guess. There's no holy grail. (n)

I thought it had to do with catching his blood in it or something along those lines. Not just that he drank from it.

The_Raiders

No Ticket said:
I thought it had to do with catching his blood in it or something along those lines. Not just that he drank from it.

I'm not sure but I still don't beleive in a holy grail, only Christ Himself. (y)

No Ticket

The_Raiders said:
I'm not sure but I still don't beleive in a holy grail, only Christ Himself. (y)

Well the Holy Grail doesn't exist... but I'm just saying, that's what the story says... it has to do with the cup catching his blood. I bet Wikipedia could straighten all this out, lol.

Travis85

The Legend is that the cup Jesus drank from at the last supper was used to catch his blood after the roman stabbed him in the ribs with the spear, which itself is a legendary artifact known as the spear of destiny :). Who knows if the cup exists, or if his blood was really caught in it or not, it doesn't specify the holly grail in the Bible, and mainly is part of Catholic stories past down over the years. Then you have that obserd Da vinci Code book/movie that claims the 'holy grail' is Jesus descendants :p.

The_Raiders

No Ticket said:
Well the Holy Grail doesn't exist... but I'm just saying, that's what the story says... it has to do with the cup catching his blood. I bet Wikipedia could straighten all this out, lol.

Lol, yeah probably. :D

Perhilion

It seems odd that someone, let alone Jesus' mother would catch his blood in a cup while he was dying on the cross. Then again, maybe not. I don't know if there really is a grail. I'd like to believe there is. The problem is that outside of legend there hasn't been any reference to the grail as being real. But all legends are based on fact, so who knows? If Jesus' blood was caught in a cup, it makes sense the Christians would keep the cup throughout the ages, like the Spear. And like the Spear, there are several churches that claim to hold the true grail.
Well the Holy Grail doesn't exist...
What makes you so sure?

Dr._Jones

it doesnt matter if you belive in it or not. I was wondering if you guys knew any other theories of where the grail might be... not to be rude.:)

Niteshade007

Perhilion said:
It seems odd that someone, let alone Jesus' mother would catch his blood in a cup while he was dying on the cross. Then again, maybe not. I don't know if there really is a grail. I'd like to believe there is. The problem is that outside of legend there hasn't been any reference to the grail as being real. But all legends are based on fact, so who knows? If Jesus' blood was caught in a cup, it makes sense the Christians would keep the cup throughout the ages, like the Spear. And like the Spear, there are several churches that claim to hold the true grail.

I agree, it seems odd that someone would take a cup from dinner earlier that evening, carry it along, and then use to catch some blood. Just odd events that don't really make sense.

I don't think the grail exists anymore. It was probably just a cup, destroyed years ago. I mean, who keep around a cup from that long ago? I suppose its possible, but highly unlikely. And of course, all of this is assuming you believe in the story of Jesus anyway.

WillKill4Food

Niteshade007 said:
And of course, all of this is assuming you believe in the story of Jesus anyway.
How can you not believe in the story of a man claiming to be the son of God being killed on a cross? People have claimed to be the son of God all down through history, from the pharoahs to Charles Manson. And thousands were crucified in Roman times. So, what is so hard to believe that Jesus existed and that a cup caught his blood, whether you believe he is the son of God or not?
I'm not saying it still exists, or even that it has powers, but it's plausible that a cup probably did catch his blood after he was speared.

The_Raiders

I beleive in the story of Jesus, and I beleive in Him. Many have come saying they are the son of God but Jesus really is. I mean look at the impact He made, whether you beleive in Him ot not He is still being talked about, being a Christian can have you killed in some parts of the world, I mean think about, can get you killed Jesus was crucified 2000 years ago and He still intimidates people.

Niteshade007

WillKill4Food said:
How can you not believe in the story of a man claiming to be the son of God being killed on a cross? People have claimed to be the son of God all down through history, from the pharoahs to Charles Manson. And thousands were crucified in Roman times. So, what is so hard to believe that Jesus existed and that a cup caught his blood, whether you believe he is the son of God or not?
I'm not saying it still exists, or even that it has powers, but it's plausible that a cup probably did catch his blood after he was speared.

It's certainly plausible, but I don't find it very probable that a cup from dinner was carried around for hours and then used to catch his blood. I'm not denying that it did happen, I'm just pointing out the possibility that it didn't.

Finn

Staff member
The_Raiders said:
I beleive in the story of Jesus, and I beleive in Him. Many have come saying they are the son of God but Jesus really is. I mean look at the impact He made, whether you beleive in Him ot not He is still being talked about, being a Christian can have you killed in some parts of the world, I mean think about, can get you killed Jesus was crucified 2000 years ago and He still intimidates people.
You know, there's a saying involving a whole lot of flies and some cow manure...

Finn

Staff member
People can make some pretty strong arguments for the plausibility of Christianity, but "a billion people can't be wrong" isn't one of them.

adventure_al

I think it is pretty safe to say that Jesus definately existed, there is so much historical evidence to back that up. So to say jesus didn't walk this earth is just ignorant really. Wether he is the divine or the Messiah is another question all together.

WillKill4Food

Niteshade007 said:
It's certainly plausible, but I don't find it very probable that a cup from dinner was carried around for hours and then used to catch his blood. I'm not denying that it did happen, I'm just pointing out the possibility that it didn't.
That's fine. I agree with you. It was the doubting about the story of Jesus's existence that made me question your words.
I think that it is plausible that the Holy Grail as we know it entered mythology as either the cup that caught his blood or the cup that he drank from. Then the second part of the myth might have been added, whichever part came later.
I would say that the origin of the Grail in mythology probably evolved from either of these:
-The story of magic cauldrons appearing in the Celtic tales of King Arthur and then being changed to something Christian along with his story changing to something Christian.
-Or, as often happened, a native of the Holy Land selling a fake relic to a pilgrim. In this case, the relic would have been a cup that was supposedly the Cup of Christ, just like chunks of wood were claimed to be pieces of the "True Cross."

...but "a billion people can't be wrong" isn't one of them.
I don't recall that being mentioned by anyone here. If you want some true arguments for Christianity, I'll be happy to supply, though not in this thread for fear of being put in the "sin bin" for being off topic.

You know, there's a saying involving a whole lot of flies and some cow manure...
In this case, Agnostiscm is the manure and you are a fly.:rolleyes: