Disney eyeing Chris Pratt

Finn

Staff member
Funny how the Internet allows us to study the slightest minutiae in a man's reaction and draw incredibly far-reaching conclusions. Didn't think that was possible.

Wait. It usually isn't. Yet...

TheFedora

Finn said:
Funny how the Internet allows us to study the slightest minutiae in a man's reaction and draw incredibly far-reaching conclusions. Didn't think that was possible.

Wait. It usually isn't. Yet...

More and more this board is starting to remind me of how some Jurassic Park message boards were when Jurassic World was in this early stages of rumor. I understand, people who don't have much news will reach, but I believe that the comments I made regarding Pratt's were meant to be humorous and not taken seriously.

kongisking

TheFedora said:
More and more this board is starting to remind me of how some Jurassic Park message boards were when Jurassic World was in this early stages of rumor. I understand, people who don't have much news will reach, but I believe that the comments I made regarding Pratt's were meant to be humorous and not taken seriously.

Eh, cut Finn some slack. He's probably just exhausted from all the users who really do over-analyze this stuff. :p

Probably...

Finn

Staff member
What I actually was referring to was the story Moe originally had as a source. It was a lengthy article where those clowns practically dissected a 45-second YouTube clip and wrote an entire piece on it.

Hilariously, their final conclusion of Pratt's reaction basically boiled down "could be he's in talks, could be he isn't". So props for following the proper scientific procedure there, I guess. Because that's pretty much all you can draw from said clip.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Finn said:
So props for following the proper scientific procedure there, I guess. Because that's pretty much all you can draw from said clip.

In the quest for revenue generating clicks, everyone is a mercenary, and a grave robber.

Finn

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
In the quest for revenue generating clicks, everyone is a mercenary, and a grave robber.
Don't I know that. It's perhaps one reason I feel such a strong sense of loyalty towards TR.N. While it can get a little silly around here as well, at times, in this little corner of the web I can, if not supress, at least control said silliness.

So, if I were to get in on the fun... I'd have this to say: Mr. Pratt may or may not know much, but something in his behavior here tells me he really likes the idea, though.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Finn said:
those clowns practically dissected a 45-second YouTube clip
I was going to defend TMZ then remembered they acquired some of Spielberg's stolen Indy 4 documents in 2007 but were stopped by Paramount from reporting too much. Unfortunately there are a few clowns, fewer investigative journalists, and the rest cut and paste. At least TMZ posted raw video, while none bothered to upload or transcribe the Hasty Pudding presser in which Pratt spoke at length about Chris Evans' charity. That's the irony here, the paparazzi are the only ones getting out of the way of a story.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

kongisking said:
Lest anyone think I've forgotten just how awesome Harrison Ford's run as Indy was, here's something to show my appreciation for that era. I'm very proud of this one, hope you all like it. And shout-out to my mate Henry Junior for the beautiful logo at the end! If he's still around these parts... :confused:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/85Lf6KOXQKo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Cool Video, Thanks for posting but, how much cooler would It have been with John Williams booming Soundtrack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

indytim

Silvor said:
Why on earth recast the role when Ford is still willing and able to play Indy again?

Because he's a 72 year old man. I love Harrison Ford. I love Indiana Jones. But Ford is now simply too old to play the character as we wish to see him. They only just managed to get away with it in Crystal Skull and the audience can only suspend disbelief so far.

The stories need to be about the adventures of a learned, swashbuckling, womanizing action hero in the prime of his life set in a time when the world still held many secrets. I personally do not want to see a septuagenarian Indy in the 1960s.

I have no problem seeing another actor play the role. It's worked perfectly fine for the Bond franchise several times over (with arguable degrees of success) so there's no reason a character as rich as Indy shouldn't fair as well.

Silvor

indytim said:
Because he's a 72 year old man. I love Harrison Ford. I love Indiana Jones. But Ford is now simply too old to play the character as we wish to see him.
I think you meant to say "I" instead of "we" right there.
Unless somebody made you the spokesperson for the entire world wide audience for Indiana Jones while I wasn't looking.

I would absolutely love for Ford to reprise the role again.
What Ford can do, Indy can do. There's no set rule as to what age Indy should be.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Silvor said:
Unless somebody made you the spokesperson for the entire world wide audience for Indiana Jones while I wasn't looking.

The world has spoken, and this back in 1989:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E-wXfFTokGQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

indytim

Pale Horse said:
The world has spoken, and this back in 1989:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/E-wXfFTokGQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I lost nothing today. Anyone who thinks Disney is going to relaunch one of the world's biggest film franchises with a 72 year old man in the lead role is going to be bitterly disappointed.

They will want someone young enough to carry this franchise forwards for at least 10 years, getting three or four films out of him in the process. Disney aren't doing this for artistic reasons or fan service. They're doing it first and foremost to make money because the Disney shareholders demand to see a long term return on their investment. The 'Ford Purists' can stamp their feet all they want but I can assure you it is simply not happening. Harrison will have no more than a cameo in the next film.

Things that do not evolve die. That's just a fact of life. This franchise will do exactly that with a new actor in the role of Indy. Just like with James Bond. Just like with Batman. If not, they'll be no new movies and we'll be left watching reruns, wondering what could have been.

Lao_Che

Would be nice for Ford to get an appropriate swansong with Indy but I'd like more films. And a cartoon series. And good games. And...

Montana Smith

indytim said:
I lost nothing today. Anyone who thinks Disney is going to relaunch one of the world's biggest film franchises with a 72 year old man in the lead role is going to be bitterly disappointed.

They will want someone young enough to carry this franchise forwards for at least 10 years, getting three or four films out of him in the process. Disney aren't doing this for artistic reasons or fan service. They're doing it first and foremost to make money because the Disney shareholders demand to see a long term return on their investment. The 'Ford Purists' can stamp their feet all they want but I can assure you it is simply not happening. Harrison will have no more than a cameo in the next film.

Things that do not evolve die. That's just a fact of life. This franchise will do exactly that with a new actor in the role of Indy. Just like with James Bond. Just like with Batman. If not, they'll be no new movies and we'll be left watching reruns, wondering what could have been.

Mr. Horse's video agrees with you:

17131210117_b76b4758cd_o.jpg

17151081290_e58a851de3_o.jpg

On reflection, was White Suit actually Walt Disney himself?

walt-disney-suit-tie-fedora-dapper-day-style-guide-disneyexaminer.jpg

Pale Horse

Staff member
indytim said:
...If not, they'll be no new movies and we'll be left watching reruns....

In a spot of Devil's Advocate: Don't knock this model, Netflix is making a killing at it.

IndyForever

indytim said:
Guess you know Bob Iger personally or maybe Alan Horn as they relaunched the $4b Star Wars franchise with the same 72 year old in the lead part :hat:

Pale Horse

Staff member
IndyForever said:
Guess you know Bob Iger personally or maybe Alan Horn as they relaunched the $4b Star Wars franchise with the same 72 year old in the lead part :hat:

...supporting. Supporting Part.

Daisy Ridley and John Boyega are the leads. The rest are supporting characters.

Too tired to link the supporting evidence, but it's out there.

indytim

Pale Horse said:
...supporting. Supporting Part.

Daisy Ridley and John Boyega are the leads. The rest are supporting characters.

Too tired to link the supporting evidence, but it's out there.

Exactly. Harrison Ford's participation in the new Star Wars was only ever planned as a cameo. The same goes for the other original cast members. They're simply in there for continuity. Don't expect to see him in Episode VIII or beyond. I anticipate seeing Han and Chewy going out Butch and Sundance style this Christmas.