Why does Indy keep getting his ass kicked by Nathan Drake and Lara Croft?

SigmaEcho

This video is the last straw as far as I'm concerned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI3tsWus2KQ

Yes, that's Indiana Jones himself playing Uncharted 3. What more needs to happen before LucasArts gets their sh*t together and puts out a great Indy game? :confused: Uncharted 3 has had so much hype, it's clear that it is going to make a killing this year. How much more money do the Uncharted and Tomb Raider franchises need to rake in before they realize that there's a Gigantic market for quality action/adventure games out there? That Indy should be the top title in this genre, not Uncharted? That they are the ones that could be swimming in that cash?:mad:

All they have to do is actually COMMIT to a quality game. It's well within their capabilities!!! Why not start by finishing the Staff of Kings for 360 & PS3? The only reason they won't is to save face, which makes no sense if you're in the business to make money. You could tell some quality work was going into SoK and that it would have had a solid story and plot, and possibly been a great game had they put the effort in to polish it up. And when there's so much on the line, I can't wrap my head around why they continually screw up the Indy games.:mad:

If anyone from LA reads these boards, please tell me what I can do to get the executives at LA to see our POV, I don't even really like the rival franchises. I tried the Uncharted games, and the writing is cliche and predictable, the setting should NOT be contemporary (how am I supposed to buy the idea of entire lost cities in the age of satellites?), Drake is annoying, clumsy and constantly scared, the complete opposite of the cool and collected Indy and the whole game was too much action, not enough adventure - no real exploring, since the game is so linear, and most of the game is shooting, so the game is ultimately a shooter, hardly any real adventure. The only good thing I can say about it is that at least it has quality polish, but playing it just made me upset that the indy games were not made with that level of care. All I want are quality INDY games! Is that too much to ask? Since LA stands to make a killing if they ever released one, I really don't think it is!

Sorry if this seems like lashing out, but I just had to vent...:hat:

Toht's Arm

That video of Harrison is great. If you ever needed any convincing that a 70-something Harrison could still pull off an Indy film, there's the proof: he enjoys playing PS3. (y)

Finn

Staff member
Hmm, something's off... for someone who appears to be new to gaming, he picks up the controls way too fast. Also we're not getting too many discretionary shots of him and the action on the screen.

Still, even if he only thinks he's playing the game, it appears he's genuinely impressed, so the rant's somewhat justified.

So, what's been Lucas' problem what comes to Indy then? Simply put, lack of innovation. Whenever they've set their sights on putting out Indy in the digital form, they haven't really created anything groundbreaking or truly new. IM was pretty much what you'd expect from a Tomb Raider game of the time (or even worse off, a Tomb Raider game of two-three years back since it was directly competing with The Last Revelation in which Lara had a bunch of new tricks in her bag), and while ET got the combat system right and allowed you to create pretty impressive brawl scenes, that was pretty much all there was to it and even that wasn't anything you wouldn't have seen before. And then there's Staff of Kings...

Last time they managed to put Indy in something that was truly groundbreaking for its time was when FoA came out - and to kinda add insult to injury, it's still somewhat able to hold its own against fresher titles in its genre.

What actually worries me is when LucasArts is finally going to respond to the massive success of Uncharted, what we'll be getting is exactly that, an Uncharted game with Indy skin. A free hint: It hasn't won you any GotY awards before...

RONDC20

Ok SigmaEcho I agree with everything you said until you began insulting The Uncharted games. I happen to think that they are exceptional games and I am a big, HUGE! fan of them. I just got Uncharted 3 and I am blown away at how great it is.

I think your taking out your angry on them cause Lucasarts really messed up. Naughty Dog made better Indiana Jones games than any actual Indiana Jones game Lucasarts has ever made. That's Lucasarts fault not Naughty Dog's.

Udvarnoky

Finn said:
What actually worries me is when LucasArts is finally going to respond to the massive success of Uncharted, what we'll be getting is exactly that, an Uncharted game with Indy skin.

I suspect that's exactly what the cancelled 360/PS3 game was going to be. The third party Wii port that ended up getting released itself played like a very low-rent Drake's Fortune. The irony of Indiana Jones games being reduced to shallow clones of Tomb Raider and Uncharted is that those games were inspired by the Indiana Jones movies in the first place. It's pretty heartbreaking that LucasArts can't be bothered to something more innovative with a mega franchise that other developers would kill to be able to work with, but the studio is not the same one it was in the 90s.

I.M.J.

Finn said:
What actually worries me is when LucasArts is finally going to respond to the massive success of Uncharted, what we'll be getting is exactly that, an Uncharted game with Indy skin. A free hint: It hasn't won you any GotY awards before...

I actually just got done explaining something similar to this in another thread... except that I think it's a good idea to do.

I understand what you are saying form a purist point of view, but the fact is that licensed titles are rushed so as to suck up the quick sale from the fan base. Someone should design an adventure/action/exploration game with an engine as sophisticated as Uncharted's that could become a franchise in it's own right, and then adapt it to Indiana Jones.

As I mentioned before, of course this is outside the box thinking, but repetition is insanity and in Indy's gaming history I'd say he's about due for a straight jacket. All of his game's are one-off money grubbers, and the one's that fans really liked borrowed from a pre-existing engine (can you say, "point and click").

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, Finn.