The Lost Symbol

monkey

But is it a clone of "Angels and Demons", and "DaVinci Code"?

Don't get me wrong. I loved both of those books, but I'm just wondering if this new book covers any new ground?

RedeemedChild

I have not yet read Angels and Demons or The Lost Symbol. However, I began reading The Da Vinci Code but I have not finished it yet.

Goonie

I'm holding off on buying The Lost Symbol until the Illustrated Editon comes out, like for the first two Robert Langdon books. It just gives it an extra kick having photos from the actual locations.

Nurhachi1991

Well it still has all the secret societys and stuff and some of the elements of Da Vinci were there but its still really good.

And was it just me or did anyone else think the plot to Angels and Demons was a 1980s GI Joe episode?

We placed Antimatter at the Vatacin and will blow it up by midnight! COBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :p

RedeemedChild

Nurhachi1991 said:
Well it still has all the secret societys and stuff and some of the elements of Da Vinci were there but its still really good.

And was it just me or did anyone else think the plot to Angels and Demons was a 1980s GI Joe episode?

We placed Antimatter at the Vatacin and will blow it up by midnight! COBRAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :p

LOL. That's a good one Nurhachi. I still can't get over that one. You should do your own parodies.

Rhys135

Im around 120 pages in. It's intresting, and a little addictive but so far it feel's slower than the previous two Langdon stories in my opinion.

Also did anyone else notice a few lines after Langdon was questioned about the Holy Grail early on, that "You choose poorly" and "Leap of faith" was included in some of the dialagoe. A Last Crusade refrence?

Solomon Black

Finished the new Dan Brown book Sunday. I've always liked the idea of the Robert Langdon character, but for me Da Vinci Code was not an easy read. Liked the movie a lot better. I don't know. Guess it was easier to watch than read. But this new book, when it came out I thought I'd buy it and try to read it, but that I'd probably have to force myself to finish it. Well, I'm pleased to say, that was not the case. I loved it. Haven't read a thriller I've enjoyed this much in a long time. If anyone out there's on the fence about picking it up, I?d definitely say give it a try.

As a side note, when I first tried to read Da Vinci Code, when it was still a big best seller but before it was a movie, I had kind of hoped they'd cast Harrison Ford as the character. I thought it'd be cool. He's played Jack Ryan, Indiana Jones and then he'd play Robert Langdon. But that's not what happened. In this new book, Lost Symbol, Langdon has a daybag he carries around with him all through it, which I guess is sort of like Indy's satchel. So, if Harrison Ford had played the character, when they made a movie of Lost Symbol, anytime he'd have on the daybag it'd harken back to images of Indiana Jones. Always thought the two characters were similar anyway. As another side note, you know who else I think would've been good as Robert Langdon? How about David Duchovny. Seems like Mulder and Langdon aren't too different either. Duchovny's cool and good-looking, but at the same time he has the intelligence it takes to play a character like Robert Langdon.

But anyway, all in all, I loved the book. Excellent. Hope we see more of Robert Langdon in the future. And this from a guy who found Da Vinci a very hard read.

HovitosKing

Yeah I read it. It's a direct photocopy of Angels & Demons and DaVinci Code, with crappier writing, less interesting characters (who are nearly identical to those in his previous novels--the book's villain and Langdon's mentor/friend are copied straight out of Da Vinci Code, although their names have been updated because they're supposedly 'different' characters), and boring (thanks to the National Treasure films, who did this topic due justice) symbols/clues/secret society that arrived a few years too late thanks to Nic Cage. His treatment of DC is about as bad as it gets. His ideas about how the government (and its agents) work are stunningly flat and one-dimensional. This book was truly horrible. The writing, dialogue, plot, all of it was terrible. His editor should be fired and blacklisted from the publishing industry. Dan Brown could probably do well writing short non-fiction books about symbols and cults and stuff (his facts seem mostly correct, if embellished), but he really needs to stay away from fiction. You take 5 years to write a novel, people expect more than the same crap with a different title. Don't get me wrong, Angels & Demons was great, but his two Langdon follow-ups have been abysmal.

Last edited:

HovitosKing

Solomon Black said:
Finished the new Dan Brown book Sunday. I've always liked the idea of the Robert Langdon character, but for me Da Vinci Code was not an easy read.

That's because Dan Brown was trying to turn Holy Blood, Holy Grail (a work of non-fiction published many years prior) into a fast-paced action/adventure novel and, as a result, did a shoddy job of laying any groundwork for his central thesis because he was already "borrowing" too heavily from this other source. He focused instead on dialogue and action segments, which were his primary weaknesses in the novel. He was sued for borrowing so liberally from HBHG, of course, but I don't think anything came of it. Interesting how the major weaknesses in the novel were limited to the stuff Dan Brown didn't "borrow" from someone else.

I've never read the book but does it have to do with mason's? Because if does go check out mason videos at youtube, it will tell you all about masons and where they came from and who really founded our nation. When i go to the book store i will read the book.

Finn

Staff member
Let's see...

A missing or dead scientist - check.
A female relative of the said victim as the main love interest - check.
A freak killer - check.
A some kind of government operative with a dubious agenda - check.
Whole lot of puzzles and ancient mysteries - check.

Yep, Brown did it again... and this one will probably sell millions as well. Not bad, Danny boy.

HovitosKing

I'm all for "formula" novels (big fan of hardboiled detective fiction), but this is just insulting to readers. I get it, he spends his time researching his subject matter and not on writing, but that's no excuse. Like I said, publish a small non-fiction book instead. Oh wait, no money or fame in that. Just ask the authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail.

Ska

Rhys135 said:
Also did anyone else notice a few lines after Langdon was questioned about the Holy Grail early on, that "You choose poorly" and "Leap of faith" was included in some of the dialagoe. A Last Crusade refrence?

I noticed and chuckled at the "you chose poorly" line when I read it.

I'm only about 70 pages in so far. It doesn't feel like a Angels & Demons or DaVinci Code rip off to me yet.

Perhilion

I read it. Not as good as Angels and Demons, I don't think, but better than the Da Vinci code. Yeah, it follows the same Brown formula, but it's still fun.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Judging by early reviews and box office predictions for Inferno, we may have to wait a while for the film. This time next year we'll have Langdon #5, Origin, hopefully too good not to adapt (pun?).

Henry Jones VII

One of the biggest critics people are saying about Inferno, is that it looks like a tv movie. The camera work is horrendous, can you guys confirm this?