Misconceptions you had when you first watched the movies

Nurhachi1991

JerryKing said:
As a child, while watching "Raiders" - and for many years afterwards - I was sure that Junior managed to sneak onto the submarine and pretend to be a crewman. There is a Fordish officer in a white sweater visible during the submarine scenes, and all the time I assumed it was Junior, who had killed a crewman and impersonated him throughout the journey.

All of which would, in fact, certainly make much more sense than sitting on top of an U-Boot for days.

I thought the same thing!!! High Five (y)

Johnny Nys

I thought the same as well at one time. Then when I saw Raiders again a few weeks ago, I paid special attention to that and it looked like white sweater guy appears before Indy comes out of the water and climbs onto the sub.

kongisking

Zeppelin said:
The prequel thing took me by surprise first time I watched Temple. 1935? So it's before Raiders? I wondered why they did that.

Watch the DVD. Lucas and the IceBerg wanted to continue their theme of Indy being the cinematic son of James Bond by having a new love interest in each movie. And since they knew full well nobody would have believed that Marion hadn't stuck with Indy, judging from Raiders' ending with their renewed relationship...voila! A prequel was born! :cool:

Nurhachi1991 said:
I thought the same thing!!! High Five (y)

Indeed, that fellow looks extraordinarily like Harrison. :D

Sorry, I double-posted. Damn!

Last edited by a moderator:

MaverickKing

Before I'd seen The Last Crusade, there was a preview for the entire trilogy entire on TV. It had Indy and Sallah lifting up the Ark... Indy taking the Sankara Stones... and then Indy scooping the rock off the ground to use in the tank fight. So I assumed that was the artefact in the movie.

Zeppelin

kongisking said:
Watch the DVD. Lucas and the IceBerg wanted to continue their theme of Indy being the cinematic son of James Bond by having a new love interest in each movie. And since they knew full well nobody would have believed that Marion hadn't stuck with Indy, judging from Raiders' ending with their renewed relationship...voila! A prequel was born! :cool:

Yeah, I found that out later on...it makes sense, I guess. Although it implies that Indy and Willie must've broken up between films...maybe he got tired of her whining? And what happened to Shortie, he get put in an orphanage or something?

indyclone25

Zeppelin said:
Yeah, I found that out later on...it makes sense, I guess. Although it implies that Indy and Willie must've broken up between films...maybe he got tired of her whining? And what happened to Shortie, he get put in an orphanage or something?

in the marvel comics series shorty is in a private school that indy put him in ---

kongisking

Zeppelin said:
Yeah, I found that out later on...it makes sense, I guess. Although it implies that Indy and Willie must've broken up between films...maybe he got tired of her whining?

That's exactly what Steven and George were thinking. This is why they made Willie a noisy and unhelpful person, so that people would easily believe that these two ditched each other at some point between TOD and Raiders. It was never going to work out between them; they were just too different. So the filmmakers totally knew what they were doing when they dreamt up Willie Scott.

Meerkat

I originally thought ToD was the third movie in the series, because that was the order I watched the first three in- RotLA, LC and ToD. (Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid. xD)

And about Willie? ANYONE would get tired of her whining. :p Except maybe Lao Che- why'd you think he kept her around for so long?

JP Jones

I was kind of little when I first saw raiders so I didn't get a lot of what they talked about.
I thought Toht was Belloq in the bar, The ark was in the Hovitos temple, The nepal tough guy shot himself, marion gave indy money for saving her, a snake bit indy in the well of souls, and I also thought Belloq was trying to kill marion by giving her too much too drink.

AnythingGoes

Well, here goes...
Raiders
I thought Indy killed Abner {I mistook Marion's 'It took a whole lot for you to alienate him.' for 'It took a whole lot for you to annihilate him.'}
I literally had no idea on Earth who Dietrich was...it was only until 3 years later that I figured out that the guy who had had his head shrunk was Dietrich!
I thought Sallah said, 'Ass! Very dangerous! You go first!'
Temple
It took me a while to make the connection that the plane Indy and the gang take is Lao's. I thought the pilot's were just evil creeps who wanted to kill the gang for no apparent reason.
I thought the Maharajah was a girl... seriously, whenever he spoke in that high voice I had the impression that he was wearing a bun under the turban!
I didn't quite catch what 'Nocturnal Activities' were. I assumed he was going to watch her while she slept.
Crusade
I was dead set on thinking Donovan and Elsa planned to get married! As Donovan turned to dust I thought he was trying to kiss Elsa rather then strangle her!
I never understood why Indy wore a necktie throughout 30 minutes of the movie! {'Come to think of it, I still wonder!'}
I thought Panama Hat was Belloq.
And of course, I was a bit too old to have misconceptions of 'Skull'...I don't think I would've had any though...the movie was a bit too easy to understand!

:whip:

teampunk

i always thought that in raiders after the ark burned the nazi sign off the box it later did the same thing to the usa sign on another box. i thought it was some kind of profound statement about how the true god doesn't care about nationalities.

XanaduEli

well i was very young when i saw my first indy film (about 2 or 3)

so i had a lot of misconceptions

i thought tohts name was belloq
:confused:

i thought that poison that was put on the dates was extra hot, hot sauce

I thought shorty was Indy's son

when i saw the scene with the young indy in the last crusade, i thought i had put on the wrong video.

i though Elsa and Walter was siblings

i thought that when Indy's father thought that Indy had perished at the bottom of the cliff,he actually did die and the film was going to end there.

i thought sallah was Indy's brother :confused:

and i thought that when Indy and his father were tied up and Elsa had just kissed and Walter had come over and glared at him, i thought he was going to kiss him to :eek:

Paul Pauley

Maharajah sounds like a girl because Raj's real voice isn't used - he's dubbed by Katie Leigh using a voice that sounds way too like a little girl.

Also the glittery finery the Maharajah is dressed in is associated with femininity.

Nosirrah

JollyGreenSlugg said:
Maharajah sounds like a girl because Raj's real voice isn't used - he's dubbed by Katie Leigh using a voice that sounds way too like a little girl.

Also the glittery finery the Maharajah is dressed in is associated with femininity.

Thank you for disinterring one of the most entertaining threads this newcomer has yet seen on this site. And that's saying something.:hat:

Walecs

When she was much younger, a friend of mine thought the Indiana Jones movies were set in present days and the Nazis were actually a smaller party which had been recentely founded in honour of the real WWII Nazis.

Last edited: